• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Euston-Glasgow PRIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Economist

I'm tempted to use my PRIV to do Euston-Glasgow in the next few weeks, naturally would be walk-up on the day. Will it likely be too busy to get a seat reservation? I'm tempted to use the PRIV since advances probably wouldn't be very cheap now, plus I don't know exactly when the trip will be. Likely returning back to London at a later date.

Also, may I ask whether I can do one of the cheap on-board first class upgrades on a PRIV?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Will it likely be too busy to get a seat reservation?

That obliviously depends on what train you intend to catch.

Also, may I ask whether I can do one of the cheap on-board first class upgrades on a PRIV?

If you mean "weekend first" then you can upgrade at the full weekend first rate with a standard priv.

Romilly

Established Member
If you are looking at w/c 23rd July there are Advances from £45. And I have found an Advance for £32 on the rather slow 1343 from Euston on 31st July and 1st August.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I'm tempted to use my PRIV to do Euston-Glasgow in the next few weeks, naturally would be walk-up on the day. Will it likely be too busy to get a seat reservation? I'm tempted to use the PRIV since advances probably wouldn't be very cheap now, plus I don't know exactly when the trip will be. Likely returning back to London at a later date.

If you want to use a through train then yes, Advances do not present much of a saving over even the SOR. However, if you are looking to do it for less than this then Advances may be worthwhile, as Glasgow to Crewe is often dirt cheap at the right times, and then Crewe to Euston can also be cheap on West Midlands Trains. Most sites won't suggest such an itinerary since it is quite a bit longer than the through train - however, equally it is quite a bit cheaper!

Established Member
The off peak return is a no brainer at £35...
I'd be tempted to get the anytime return at £91 If you'll be travelling one way on the weekend for the free upgrade.

Haywain

Veteran Member
The off peak return is a no brainer at £35...
I'd be tempted to get the anytime return at £91 If you'll be travelling one way on the weekend for the free upgrade.
You really should check out the cost of weekend first before giving advice like that.

island

Veteran Member
And with an off peak return upgrading one way to first is £31 less altogether than buying an anytime return.

Economist

Thank you very much for all of your advice, I'll weigh up the options (flexibility vs price) over the next few days and see how it all works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.