• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Euston > Stockport in December

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmersears

Established Member
Hi chaps, first post here, so go easy if I've got the following wrong:

Looking at Euston > Stockport for the journey home for Christmas. Looking to leave on the 22nd of December, and work on NYE dictates I'll need to come back on 29/30 probably. A quick glance on NRE quotes me £122.35 for me and the missus, and that's with our railcards.

Is this correct, or has NRE gone bonkers? Its cheaper to fly at that price!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

calc7

Established Member
I swear this same query comes up once a week!

This page shows that Virgin are only taking bookings up to 23rd December at the moment. Cheaper Advance tickets for the 29th should be released later this week.

causton

Established Member
There are no advance tickets available for the return date yet.

Check http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/booking_horizons.html - it says 22/23rd for weekend reservations so far. However the cheap tickets are available for the 22nd so I would buy the outward ones now while there are still cheap ones available (cheapest £24 if I guessed your railcards correctly) and then as soon as you see the date change to the 29th/30th book the return one.

philjo

Established Member
Be aware that there are major engineering works on that line during the Christmas period so there is only a limited service that week. The trains may run at different times than normal and will take longer. Not sure about 29th and 30th but on Friday 28th there is 1 train an hour between Manchester/Stockport and Euston instead of the usual 3. So check the timetable carefully before booking.

Bakerbloke

I booked my ticket for the same journey on the exact same day - 22nd December. All trains up until 8am are £12 standard or £36 first class. And then get progressively more expensive during the day. I'm travelling afternoon when it gets cheaper again.

Going back on the 28th. You can get over to Sheffield then get any of the morning London bound services with East Midlands Trains for £15 standard or £21 first class. But book now - they go fast!

Lee_Again

I booked my ticket for the same journey on the exact same day - 22nd December. All trains up until 8am are �12 standard or �36 first class. And then get progressively more expensive during the day. I'm travelling afternoon when it gets cheaper again.

Going back on the 28th. You can get over to Sheffield then get any of the morning London bound services with East Midlands Trains for �15 standard or �21 first class. But book now - they go fast!

I'm doing Liverpool>Leeds>Stevenage on the 23rd for the same reason. I got First Advance fares for next to nothing. Keep well away from the WCML over xmas. It will be a nightmare. You've been warned!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.