• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Euston to Anglesey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reliablebeam

Hi all, hope I can tap into the hive mind for suggestions.

I am making my twice yearly trip to Anglesey from the Thames valley. Last few years I've been using the route ex Euston as I've had very bad experiences going via Birmingham courtesy of CrossCountry.

Of course at the momebt Avanti is a mess. I have my eye on the 1810(ish) which seems to be X2 Voyager towards Wrexham, splitting at Chester with one set going on to Holyhead 15 minutes later. Any insider knowledge on whether this is likely to run? I can't actually book it at the moment. This seems to be the only non morning option at the moment that avoids TfW which frankly I can't stomach the thought of - jammed in one of their two carriage agro-inducers. I'm giving serious thought to flying to Dublin and taking the ferry over....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
Why not try a completely different route: GW to Hereford and then up via Shrewsbury, for example? I haven’t gone into prices and ticket availability, which might be a problem.

Reliablebeam

Why not try a completely different route: GW to Hereford and then up via Shrewsbury, for example? I haven’t gone into prices and ticket availability, which might be a problem.

Thanks, could be an option, but the Marches line has it's own crowding issues.

Foxcover

There’s a good few Avanti shuttles from Crewe to Holyhead, usually 5 car Voyagers; I had a look at last Tuesday on RTT as an example and they all ran, but yes this is Avanti! If you can get to Crewe by any Avanti train with a few minutes to spare, you could have first choice of seats on a voyager and avoid the risk of a 2-car 175 all the way. One of the last voyager shuttles actually starts from Chester if you don’t want to go to Crewe.

Snow1964

Established Member
If you are starting in Thames valley, then fast GWR service to Newport and then the Welsh Express service using mk4 coaches might be an alternative.

Reliablebeam

LNR to Birmingham Intl then TfW? If you board there rather than New St you will get first pick of seats.

Aha, this might be a good option, looks like there is a possible way in here! Cheers.

If you are starting in Thames valley, then fast GWR service to Newport and then the Welsh Express service using mk4 coaches might be an alternative.

Cheers, looking into it!

mmh

Established Member
Not a good idea. TFW have horrendous overcrowding and delay problems, the best advice is to spend as little time on them as possible, which means the direct route. The Avanti Crewe-Holyhead "shuttles" can also be very busy, standing only at times, but at least you'll be able to board and the aircon works. And, other than when they cancel them, they generally are on time.

mmh

Established Member
LNR to Birmingham Intl then TfW? If you board there rather than New St you will get first pick of seats.
Great idea in theory, but runs the risk of being stuck at International when the TFW is late, because it will be. The only sensible way to go from London to Anglesey is the direct way, trying to avoid TFW if at all possible.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Great idea in theory, but runs the risk of being stuck at International when the TFW is late, because it will be. The only sensible way to go from London to Anglesey is the direct way, trying to avoid TFW if at all possible.

Unless it has got much worse recently, I have done this loads of times and never fallen victim to it turning at New St. Obviously if you see it's late you can continue to New St on the LNR.

mmh

Established Member
Unless it has got much worse recently, I have done this loads of times and never fallen victim to it turning at New St. Obviously if you see it's late you can continue to New St on the LNR.
It has, unfortunately. TFW are in a terrible state, to the point where even Avanti are more reliable.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I haven't noticed that many issues with TfW, although on Sunday they were having plenty of issues. I never did find out why my train was on time into Crewe but left 37 minutes late! It was a long wait in Leominster, given the train an hour before had been cancelled!

My advice to the OP is to aim to travel on the service from Euston before the one you actually want. The idea being that you've got some leeway in case of a cancellation etc. I also agree with the honourable gentleman of South Milton Keynes, that using LNWR to Birmingham International then joining the TfW train there at its origin is a good shout.

The direct service you mention at 1810, that would be a good one to do for sure if it becomes bookable. I'd also recommend looking at using GWR over to Newport or Hereford then TfW up the Marches. For pure speed on an IET then via Newport is the best way, for a more scenic journey then I'd use a Paddington-Hereford train for the North Cotswolds scenery as well as the beauty of the Malvern Hills AONB :wub: If you go via my home station, don't bother with the Pumpkin on the station as it's gone rather downhill in the last few years. Morrisons across the road has a coffee place in it which does far superior coffee at far more reasonable rates. If your travel involves changing at Great Malvern, you also have Lady Foley's Tea Room which does nice stuff.

Similar concept for changing in Newport, visit Hi Coffee near the platform 4 entrance as their coffee is nice with some friendly staff :) They also do huge sausage rolls for a very good price, and their vegan sausage rolls are amazing :wub: Of course if you end up on the 1716 Cardiff to Holyhead, you'll get a buffet car too but I haven't yet used it so I can't comment on the quality etc.

Of course, whatever you do, you might end up being disrupted on the day anyway, but if you've planned for it then it's more tolerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.