• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Euxton Balshaw Lane (EBA) and Balshaw Lane

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidal

I note on Real Time Trains that there is the station Euxton Balshaw Lane (EBA) which is goes over the WCML at 90 degrees. About a mile south there is another Balshaw Lane as a location - situated about 1 mile (and approx 5 chains) in the direction of Wigan.

I've not lived in Euxton long, but I only know of one Balshaw Lane. The only structure I can see on google earth at about the approximate position is a footbridge over the railway.

So why two Balshaw Lanes?

James

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The southerly Balshaw Lane on RTT will refer to the junction where the slow lines (through Balshaw Lane station) merge with the fast lines.
It's generally known as Balshaw Lane Jn and is a key junction on the WCML (where stopping passenger trains and freight can be routed off the fast lines).

The structure over the line just south of the junction is I think a signal gantry or one which carries cables across the line.
The junction was remodelled quite recently (for a junction speed of 75mph instead of 50) so the structures on that stretch are still bright and shiny!

vidal

The southerly Balshaw Lane on RTT will refer to the junction where the slow lines (through Balshaw Lane station) merge with the fast lines.
It's generally known as Balshaw Lane Jn and is a key junction on the WCML (where stopping passenger trains and freight can be routed off the fast lines).
Many thanks - I'd completely missed that!

James

Efini92

Established Member

The structure over the line just south of the junction is I think a signal gantry or one which carries cables across the line.
The junction was remodelled quite recently (for a junction speed of 75mph instead of 50) so the structures on that stretch are still bright and shiny!
I remember the first time I went over it at 75mph. It didn’t seem right

driver9000

Established Member

It's a footbridge and it must be 8 years or more since the speed was raised to 75 too.

Francis

If you want to photograph trains at Balshaw Lane Jc, there is a footbridge carrying a public footpath off Germans Lane, (off the A49 1/3 mile south of the A581 junction). It starts just where another track comes up from crossing the River Yarrow. Possible to park carefully nearby then just about 100 yds walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.