• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Evening peak out of London

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaltoast

God knows how any non-regular traveller is supposed to know about the evening peak out of London (been there, done that, had the argument, got off as I think they knew I was genuine AND the train had arrived at Reading!).

Anyway, now I know about it, because they kindly told me that it's between 4pm and 7pm that all fast trains are banned for cheap day return/travelcard holders.

Opinion was divided as to which slow trains were valid - ticket inspectors don't seem to care, ticket sellers at Paddington say it's one train at 17:45 (or was last month).

But now I see if I book a cheap day travelcard in advance on the Virgin site, it offers me several fast trains out of London, eg: 16:18.

Does this mean I HAVE to buy that ticket, even thought it's the same as the off peak cheap day return walk-on fare. Or does the fact that it is selectable mean that I could use that printout to claim a valid journey if challenged?

Go and try it to see for yourself - virgintrains.co.uk, Reading > London after 10am and back after 4pm, you'll see what I'm talking about more clearly!
(I'm talking about the £18 (£12 network card) CDR travelcard here)

Definitely seems to counter the "slow trains only between 4pm and 7pm" theory.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
AFAIK, the C4 restriction applies, which concurs with the staff in this case. but Virgin are selling me the CDR and travelcard for the 1618 as well, and it is the fast service showing up :? Also, all xx:18 trains are valid and are usually the fastest option. These trains continue to Bedwin as a local stopping service.

As these are local services beyond Reading, perhaps that's why you're allowed travel? This would have previously been a First Great Western Link service.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Pretty sure the Bedwyn services ARE allowed, and are the fastest ones to be valid.

The rule used to be FGW = Not valid, FGW Link = Valid, but it's become blurred since those days ended. It was then generally HSTs/Adelantes = Not valid, and the shorter DMUs were valid but I believe there may have been some exceptions to that.

They can't penalty fare you, all they can do is charge you the excess.

Status
Not open for further replies.