• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EX HST TRAIN SEATS (Updates and Pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChilternTurbo

@Mali thanks for this very informative post. That looks like a great solution and the fabricated legs match the original seat design really well! Satin black is a nice contrast to the GWR brown. I'd be very grateful if you could show a picture of how they're bolted/drilled into place please. Also, I'd be happy to put some business the way of the company who fabricated the legs if you would be able to post their details or PM them, please? I think @FirstclassHST would be looking at a similar solution for their double seats.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FirstclassHST

Came across this thread a while ago and thought I'd sign up and add my experience from last year with seat legs that may be of help!

We've got a set of the GWR single seats used as an upcycled table set in our dining room (not the GWR 4 seater table though as figured that's a wee bit too small for several adults at dinner time). Also have a couple of the small single tables sat in storage but not yet done anything with those! One has the power functions, the other hasn't. For not much more than the cost of a half decent generic oak dining set off the high street this looks the bee's knees, seems to generate a load of interest and will probably last as long if not longer with a wee bit of care.

We contacted a local fabrication company who came out, took measurements and did a CAD design mock-up before creating a new pair of quality heavyweight steel legs for each seat finished in satin black before fitting (a brown colour match was several times the price and in any case the black suits it equally well). The legs have a bit of a ski effect in that they come out slightly from the base of the seat but do not protrude any further than the furthest point of the rear of the chair. I can get better pictures of the fitting but the attached should give a rough idea of the end product and you can probably spot that the single brown leg that came with the seat was not used so I have several spares of these. The result of this leg design is an extremely secure seat which has absolutely no chance of toppling over, doesn't wobble nor requires securing to the floor.

Unfortunately the company who fabricated them made a very minor error with the measurements as when the seat is reclined fully the top of the legs catch the bottom of the seat shell ever so slightly (which makes a loud metallic rubbing noise when you inevitably move about) and with the only solution to remake them with an adjusted angle which they didn't want to do we've ended up not paying anything for them as is. Shame as I suspect they'd have got several more custom orders from a revised template and a few recommendations! The design though works in principle for both the single seater and twin. In any case the noise issue has been remedied by some generic felt furniture pads for a mere £2 from Amazon applied to the top of the legs which aren't visible and completely removes the noise at the expense of perhaps 2 or 3mm of recline. I may get them redone one day but they're fine for now, look great and are perfectly useable as is.

The only other point to think about is if replicating the height of the chair as it would have been on the HST itself it's a couple of inches too low for either sitting comfortably at a standard desk or dining table unless you're extremely large! Not a problem of course if you're using a matching GWR table and use the height that was setup for. Happy to share the various measurements on mine though - given the weight of the seat though I'd definitely recommend getting a proper heavyweight solution made for them if you can find someone locally as the cost really wasn't prohibitive.

We bought the seats from the same seller linked above last summer and did a day trip up to York to collect and dealt with a really nice chap from the Yorkshire Steam Railway C5 TV show which was pretty cool. They all came with the plain blue headrest covers hiding the GWR branding which we've removed.

There is also a small tool you use that unclips the base seat cushion allowing far better cleaning of the base and surrounding areas (which predictably was FILTHY).

Oh and I'd definitely be pushing my luck with the other half getting cushions etc for them :lol:

I've requested to join the Facebook page linked above where it's no problem to post more pictures of the setup if accepted.

View attachment 96213
I’d love to buy a single table from storage if you ever need to give them away I’m always after GWR HST first class things!!! :) yeah I get your experience with the fabricators wasn’t that good it is also another factor I have to account for as I don’t think some fabricators in London would have ever dealt with train seats! I never knew such a minor mistake could make such a big impact I’m going to hav tot be super careful when we get out fabricated although the final product looks quite great! Feel free to share photos here as well I’m always active here lol. Do let me know what the average price we would be looking at for fabrication as I have to account for that which I haven’t had time for and I’d love to talk on here more and hopefully you could guide me with my double seats and @ChilternTurbo with his single seat fabrications.

welcome to the forum!!

-FirstclassHST

@Mali thanks for this very informative post. That looks like a great solution and the fabricated legs match the original seat design really well! Satin black is a nice contrast to the GWR brown. I'd be very grateful if you could show a picture of how they're bolted/drilled into place please. Also, I'd be happy to put some business the way of the company who fabricated the legs if you would be able to post their details or PM them, please? I think @FirstclassHST would be looking at a similar solution for their double seats.
Yeah I would be too! Thanks for mentioning me ! We are both on this journey together :) lol I’d love to know the details too if that’s ok

Mali

Thanks for the welcome! A bit short on time today but I'll get some better pictures and update over the weekend including underneath the seats etc.

In fairness to the company trying to design something that had to be propped up to measure was not the easiest of tasks! That said I won't be passing their details on as the chasing of updates/missed/late appointments for several months, the unwillingness to resolve the flaw (the solution was to basically remove them all and leave it at that) and several months of radio silence since despite them having a table in for measuring means there are far better companies out there deserving of someone's hard earned cash without the aggro despite the actual end product, angle flaw aside. I've got a pair of tables and a seat tucked away still to convert so will be approaching a couple of other firms round here with details and am more than happy to mention that there may be further commissions. I'm half tempted to see if I can get this one converted as a proper desk chair though which will be quite a complex undertaking!

Ps - the eBay seller with the table above is usually pretty good at accepting a discount if you use the make offer function (speaking from a couple of previous purchases) :)

ChilternTurbo

In fairness to the company trying to design something that had to be propped up to measure was not the easiest of tasks! That said I won't be passing their details on as the chasing of updates/missed/late appointments for several months, the unwillingness to resolve the flaw (the solution was to basically remove them all and leave it at that) and several months of radio silence since despite them having a table in for measuring means there are far better companies out there deserving of someone's hard earned cash without the aggro despite the actual end product, angle flaw aside.
That's a shame that you had a lot of hassle with that company and I totally understand your reluctance to recommend them! The end result does look great and I'd be grateful for the dimensions of the legs if possible please so I can provide something of a brief for someone to fabricate something similar. Your previous picture is very useful and thanks ever so much for posting that. Essentially, I'm looking for something quite simple as I'll be using the seat as a reading chair in my office rather than a desk chair. I also look forward to hearing about your other projects too!
Ps - the eBay seller with the table above is usually pretty good at accepting a discount if you use the make offer function (speaking from a couple of previous purchases)
I've purchased from this seller in the past as well and he's very good with despatch and communication. As you say he's usually willing to do a deal with the make offer option on eBay.

FirstclassHST

That's a shame that you had a lot of hassle with that company and I totally understand your reluctance to recommend them! The end result does look great and I'd be grateful for the dimensions of the legs if possible please so I can provide something of a brief for someone to fabricate something similar. Your previous picture is very useful and thanks ever so much for posting that. Essentially, I'm looking for something quite simple as I'll be using the seat as a reading chair in my office rather than a desk chair. I also look forward to hearing about your other projects too!

I've purchased from this seller in the past as well and he's very good with despatch and communication. As you say he's usually willing to do a deal with the make offer option on eBay.
Yeah that is quite a unique task for us to ask the fabrication companies to design something for train seats, whenever I tell anybody about the First class seats everyone gives me an eye like “is he crazy?!?!?!” Lol

Do keep us updated (especially on your GWR first class project!!)

I’ve recently purchased from the seller and got an amazing deal on 2 meters of GWR standard class fabric for only £59 with delivery!! It just arrived today and now I have no idea what to do with 2meters by 150cm I’ve attached pictures too!

Attachments

• 46C16E4F-D369-4820-B3AB-14EB9320514C.jpeg
    46C16E4F-D369-4820-B3AB-14EB9320514C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 72

Scoboy10

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have recently bought 2 double lner seats, and have just converted one pair into a single, so got spare parts cushions etc. Would anyone know or have the lner first class antimacassar that I could purchase please as these would finish the seats off nicely. Many thanks in anticipation.

FirstclassHST

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have recently bought 2 double lner seats, and have just converted one pair into a single, so got spare parts cushions etc. Would anyone know or have the lner first class antimacassar that I could purchase please as these would finish the seats off nicely. Many thanks in anticipation.
I wouldn’t particularly be an expert on that trade (though I think someone on this thread might have some leadbut your best bet would be eBay or try posting this on the rail memorabilia section they might have some help there.

Do keep us updated though and send us pics of what your seats look like!

:)

Scoboy10

I wouldn’t particularly be an expert on that trade (though I think someone on this thread might have some leadbut your best bet would be eBay or try posting this on the rail memorabilia section they might have some help there.

Do keep us updated though and send us pics of what your seats look like!

:)

1st pic is a double seat converted to a single, 2nd pic is the the other single stripped back to use as a seat for a future project for a 7 1/4 gauge sit in coach

Attachments

• 20210523_161630.jpg
    20210523_161630.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 84
  • 20210523_161540.jpg
    20210523_161540.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 85
  • received_585458499098222.jpeg
    received_585458499098222.jpeg
    801.9 KB · Views: 81
  • received_263201118828267.jpeg
    received_263201118828267.jpeg
    882.3 KB · Views: 86

ChilternTurbo

Welcome @Scoboy10

Those LNER first class seats look great and nice work on creating singles from a double! The antimacassars might be a bit difficult to get hold of as LNER (or rather Eversholt who are the owners) seem to remove these before trains a despatched for scrap. As has been suggested it's probably worth keeping an eye out or setting up a search on the 'Railwayana' section of eBay. You could also keep an eye out for the Virgin Trains ones which were fitted before they lost the East Coast franchise.

UPDATE: Here's one for sale

Last edited:

FirstclassHST

1st pic is a double seat converted to a single, 2nd pic is the the other single stripped back to use as a seat for a future project for a 7 1/4 gauge sit in coach
Wow those are some very impressive pictures and great work with making the double seats into a nice single! Hope you found / were able to buy the antimacassar @ChilternTurbo mentioned :)

Welcome @Scoboy10

Those LNER first class seats look great and nice work on creating singles from a double! The antimacassars might be a bit difficult to get hold of as LNER (or rather Eversholt who are the owners) seem to remove these before trains a despatched for scrap. As has been suggested it's probably worth keeping an eye out or setting up a search on the 'Railwayana' section of eBay. You could also keep an eye out for the Virgin Trains ones which were fitted before they lost the East Coast franchise.

UPDATE: Here's one for sale
Did you manage to make any advances on the fabrication method I’ve found a local joinery but am unsure if they would take it lol

also wanted everyone’s advice I have been offered a large double ex gwr HST first class table with sockets from a contact on eBay however it’s too big for my room (as I originally wanted a single with plug sockets to act as a side table) any ideas on what it could be used for or should I just let this one slide?
Many thanks
FirstclassHST
Wow those are some very impressive pictures and great work with making the double seats into a nice single! Hope you found / were able to buy the antimacassar @ChilternTurbo mentioned :)

Did you manage to make any advances on the fabrication method I’ve found a local joinery but am unsure if they would take it lol

ChilternTurbo

No progress yet on getting some feet made for the seat. I've approached a couple of local joiners plus I was recommended a furniture restoration company but unfortunately none have got back to me, which I'm taking as 'no thanks'... What has your joiner said? I'm happy to put give them my business as well if they're interested :D

Annoying as it's a job that's probably not that difficult, it's just I lack the skill! I'll get around to re-attaching the single metal foot which came with the seat and have some wood cut to size which will prop the other side up as a temporary fix. Ideally something like the solution that @Mali posted earlier would be great.
also wanted everyone’s advice I have been offered a large double ex gwr HST first class table with sockets from a contact on eBay however it’s too big for my room (as I originally wanted a single with plug sockets to act as a side table) any ideas on what it could be used for or should I just let this one slide?
I'd probably wait for a single to come up for sale. It's not like you can make it into a smaller table without wrecking it.

FirstclassHST

No progress yet on getting some feet made for the seat. I've approached a couple of local joiners plus I was recommended a furniture restoration company but unfortunately none have got back to me, which I'm taking as 'no thanks'... What has your joiner said? I'm happy to put give them my business as well if they're interested :D

Annoying as it's a job that's probably not that difficult, it's just I lack the skill! I'll get around to re-attaching the single metal foot which came with the seat and have some wood cut to size which will prop the other side up as a temporary fix. Ideally something like the solution that @Mali posted earlier would be great.

I'd probably wait for a single to come up for sale. It's not like you can make it into a smaller table without wrecking it.
Yeah I get you I really hate people like that a lot if you can’t do it just say no why drag someone around :/ I haven’t talked to the joiner yet he’s been closed for his holidays he will be back Monday so that’s when we will touch base with him.

yeah honestly I’d love to do it by myself too however it’s too big of a task :(

yeah your right I was tempted but I can’t make the house look like a train yard lol yeah I’ll have to wait for a single :)

Mali

Sorry all, been a mad couple of weeks with work and also the joys of the faff of selling/buying cars!

Having disposed of an awful cheap Amazon marketplace wobbly desk chair recently one of the GWR seats has stepped up as a replacement for desk duties for the foreseeable future until I get the non-converted seat sorted :wub: Lack of rotation aside on this one, I genuinely can't think of many better chairs I've sat in for a few hours.

@FirstclassHST - did you get the measurements for the twin table and compare it to the single? From memory of sitting on them a few times a week (albeit I tried to get a single whenever I could!) they're nowhere near as big as you'd think unless you're really really short of space at home. I might have a spare single if I can't find a use for it but it's not got any power fittings unfortunately. I'm sure more will appear for sale at some point if you can wait, I can't believe many people have found good use for them.

Anyway, if anyone wants to drop me a PM with their email address I'll set up and invite you to a Google Drive page with plenty of pictures of the fittings and dimensions without spamming this page as I'm off work this week. I suspect having these pictures will be a massive help with any companies you contact as they can actually see the end product!

Attachments

• 16224807063671.jpg
    16224807063671.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 50

FirstclassHST

Sorry all, been a mad couple of weeks with work and also the joys of the faff of selling/buying cars!

Having disposed of an awful cheap Amazon marketplace wobbly desk chair recently one of the GWR seats has stepped up as a replacement for desk duties for the foreseeable future until I get the non-converted seat sorted :wub: Lack of rotation aside on this one, I genuinely can't think of many better chairs I've sat in for a few hours.

@FirstclassHST - did you get the measurements for the twin table and compare it to the single? From memory of sitting on them a few times a week (albeit I tried to get a single whenever I could!) they're nowhere near as big as you'd think unless you're really really short of space at home. I might have a spare single if I can't find a use for it but it's not got any power fittings unfortunately. I'm sure more will appear for sale at some point if you can wait, I can't believe many people have found good use for them.

Anyway, if anyone wants to drop me a PM with their email address I'll set up and invite you to a Google Drive page with plenty of pictures of the fittings and dimensions without spamming this page as I'm off work this week. I suspect having these pictures will be a massive help with any companies you contact as they can actually see the end product!
Hey there!

yeah I did get the measurements for the large table, it’s not that big however we genuinely have no space for it In our house lol :) I’ll wait for a single to turn up however if not I wouldn’t mind having a singe without power sockets at this stage thanks for your kind offer I’ll keep everyone updated.

Ill send over my email however do feel free if you would like to share some pictures on here too @ChilternTurbo would be interested too! I love the idea of using the single seat as a gaming chair just wanted to ask though if fabrication is quite expensive or is affordable and how much would we be looking at from your experience?

have a great time off work!

many thanks
FirstclassHST

ChilternTurbo

Hi @Mali nice to hear from you again. That single seat is looking fantastic, I do really like how the legs look like original fittings. Have sent you a PM for more details - thanks ever so much!
Incidentally, a friend of mine who's an aviation nut has got an upcycled seat from an Airbus A330 as his office chair from this company: https://www.skyart.com/en/volant-office-chair-weber-faux-leather .
There's a healthy industry around salvaged airliner items being up cycled or re-purposed. It's a shame that railway items are often just binned or shredded at Newport. Anyway, I'm glad that a few of these items have been saved for us new owners to enjoy after their use on the railway has finished.
@FirstclassHST I notice a few ex LNER single tables are on eBay. Not quite as nice as the GWR items (you're missing the plug/USB) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265053022590?hash=item3db664297e:g:FIAAAOSwajtgKOrJ

Mali

No problem at all, I'll get that setup in the next couple of days and upload plenty of photos so you can see exactly how the legs work. I'll use the page then to upload progress (when it happens!) on the additional seat and couple of tables I have.

I do like that A330 office seat! Funnily enough I've got a pair of A330 seats too :lol: A bit of an impulse purchase a while back thinking they'd make great cinema seats. They're literally as they arrived to me though as the bases etc are plenty sufficient for the seats to be freestanding. They came on a huge pallet which then took us about an hour to get into. As cool as they are though they're not a patch on the GWR seats for comfort if using for a few hours at a time (they cost a little bit more too at the time). Will pop some pictures on Google Drive in any case. Thankfully we're not short on space so I don't get too much grief with random transport stuff everywhere.

In terms of cost for the GWR seats, pricing was actually only about £85 per pair of legs (bearing in mind we had a few of them made at the same time). This included the satin black paint, fitting at our home which included new nuts and bolts and also a one off design cost. Given the fact the company didn't want to make them again I'd imagine that was probably priced a little bit too keenly so I reckon anything around £100-£120 fitted is there or thereabouts. I suspect you may have to pay a little more if just getting a single set made. Not dirt cheap but they'll last you for years and years and to the average person you have round they would be hard pressed to say they aren't original!

ChilternTurbo

In terms of cost for the GWR seats, pricing was actually only about £85 per pair of legs (bearing in mind we had a few of them made at the same time). This included the satin black paint, fitting at our home which included new nuts and bolts and also a one off design cost. Given the fact the company didn't want to make them again I'd imagine that was probably priced a little bit too keenly so I reckon anything around £100-£120 fitted is there or thereabouts. I suspect you may have to pay a little more if just getting a single set made. Not dirt cheap but they'll last you for years and years and to the average person you have round they would be hard pressed to say they aren't original!
That's a very good price indeed! It's a shame that the company gave you the run around as they could have got more business from other individuals. I have to say that the quality of my friends office/Airbus chair and the retrofitted legs are excellent. I think it's an ex Lufthansa item salvaged from their last cabin refit.

I did pick this item up on eBay. It's a salvaged electronic reservation display from an LNER Mk.3. Completely useless but I couldn't resist :smile: Fittingly it of course doesn't work which was often the case when I would turn up for my train and find that reservations were voided because they couldn't be uploaded...

IMG_4030.jpg

FirstclassHST

Hi @Mali nice to hear from you again. That single seat is looking fantastic, I do really like how the legs look like original fittings. Have sent you a PM for more details - thanks ever so much!
Incidentally, a friend of mine who's an aviation nut has got an upcycled seat from an Airbus A330 as his office chair from this company: https://www.skyart.com/en/volant-office-chair-weber-faux-leather .
There's a healthy industry around salvaged airliner items being up cycled or re-purposed. It's a shame that railway items are often just binned or shredded at Newport. Anyway, I'm glad that a few of these items have been saved for us new owners to enjoy after their use on the railway has finished.
@FirstclassHST I notice a few ex LNER single tables are on eBay. Not quite as nice as the GWR items (you're missing the plug/USB) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265053022590?hash=item3db664297e:g:FIAAAOSwajtgKOrJ
Oh right honestly funnily enough a few years ago I was a massive Emirates fan and always wanted their plane seats lol now look at me now after GWR instead!!

Thanks for the lead ill have a look at it and hopefully bargain with the seller in the future too! For now I’ll wait a while you never know when the occasional GWR First class things come up :)

No problem at all, I'll get that setup in the next couple of days and upload plenty of photos so you can see exactly how the legs work. I'll use the page then to upload progress (when it happens!) on the additional seat and couple of tables I have.

I do like that A330 office seat! Funnily enough I've got a pair of A330 seats too :lol: A bit of an impulse purchase a while back thinking they'd make great cinema seats. They're literally as they arrived to me though as the bases etc are plenty sufficient for the seats to be freestanding. They came on a huge pallet which then took us about an hour to get into. As cool as they are though they're not a patch on the GWR seats for comfort if using for a few hours at a time (they cost a little bit more too at the time). Will pop some pictures on Google Drive in any case. Thankfully we're not short on space so I don't get too much grief with random transport stuff everywhere.

Oh wow your really going to have to give us a full tour on google drive! Quite unfortunate the company didn’t want to make them again however thanks for the pricing it gives me and @ChilternTurbo a rough idea of what the price scale would look like :) I’m trying my best to get the fabrication done by July as we have a BBQ party then in the garden and would love to show off the seats lol

That's a very good price indeed! It's a shame that the company gave you the run around as they could have got more business from other individuals. I have to say that the quality of my friends office/Airbus chair and the retrofitted legs are excellent. I think it's an ex Lufthansa item salvaged from their last cabin refit.

I did pick this item up on eBay. It's a salvaged electronic reservation display from an LNER Mk.3. Completely useless but I couldn't resist :smile: Fittingly it of course doesn't work which was often the case when I would turn up for my train and find that reservations were voided because they couldn't be uploaded...

View attachment 97293
Ive seen that reservation display before , been tempted to buy it but just never found the perfect place to put it! How is it? Where are you thinking of putting it :)
You could be lucky at times when you Hager the dreaded aisle seat and just want to move to a window one instead!

Mali

We've bought a couple of aviation bits from a chap based on Arizona and he had for sale last year on his Etsy page some very nice ex-Delta 747 seats properly converted to a fully functioning desk chair pretty much like those advertised at SkyArt with the price approx. £600 before taxes & shipping etc. I doubt they'd ship something so heavy to the UK but gives a rough idea on price. That said, there are so many ex-Thomas Cook recaro style seats for sale which look ideal for a desk it would probably be much cheaper to purchase one of those and find a company to do the conversion work.

Anyway, have created a Google Drive with some initial photos of the HST seats in and will add some more in the coming days.

Hopefully you'll get some local companies interested in doing the work! The other option you could try if no luck through those you've contacted already is some local Facebook group pages, someone tends to know someone who knows someone might see it and can tag in someone who may be able to help which generates a few more leads. I needed to simply modify by adding an extension to a metal desk clamp for a joystick to fit on my very thick desk and found someone studying fabrication at college who was happy to do the work for a very reasonable price.

FirstclassHST

We've bought a couple of aviation bits from a chap based on Arizona and he had for sale last year on his Etsy page some very nice ex-Delta 747 seats properly converted to a fully functioning desk chair pretty much like those advertised at SkyArt with the price approx. £600 before taxes & shipping etc. I doubt they'd ship something so heavy to the UK but gives a rough idea on price. That said, there are so many ex-Thomas Cook recaro style seats for sale which look ideal for a desk it would probably be much cheaper to purchase one of those and find a company to do the conversion work.

Anyway, have created a Google Drive with some initial photos of the HST seats in and will add some more in the coming days.

Hopefully you'll get some local companies interested in doing the work! The other option you could try if no luck through those you've contacted already is some local Facebook group pages, someone tends to know someone who knows someone might see it and can tag in someone who may be able to help which generates a few more leads. I needed to simply modify by adding an extension to a metal desk clamp for a joystick to fit on my very thick desk and found someone studying fabrication at college who was happy to do the work for a very reasonable price.
Thank you so much for the information I will be in contact with more fabrication companies and hopefully I’ll be able to update everyone soon!

ChilternTurbo

@FirstclassHST a set of Ex GWR and Scotrail HST trailers including one first class carriage are on their way from Dundee to Booths Rotherham for scrapping today. Might be worth keeping an eye out on eBay for any bits and bobs like single tables appearing.

In other news, my neighbour who is far more practical than me is very kindly creating a second leg for my seat. I'll upload picture when it's fitted and in place in my office. I'm very much looking forward to enjoying a glass of wine whilst sitting in but travelling nowhere... :D

FirstclassHST

@FirstclassHST a set of Ex GWR and Scotrail HST trailers including one first class carriage are on their way from Dundee to Booths Rotherham for scrapping today. Might be worth keeping an eye out on eBay for any bits and bobs like single tables appearing.

In other news, my neighbour who is far more practical than me is very kindly creating a second leg for my seat. I'll upload picture when it's fitted and in place in my office. I'm very much looking forward to enjoying a glass of wine whilst sitting in but travelling nowhere... :D
Hey! Thanks for letting me know I’ll keep an eye out for them.

we have made advancements with one fabricator however he requires us to bring the seats to him which isn’t possible so we are still on the hunt!

That’s exactly the type of thing I do everyday when I sit on them lol

ChilternTurbo

we have made advancements with one fabricator however he requires us to bring the seats to him which isn’t possible so we are still on the hunt!
That's interesting. Are they someone who specialises in metal work/welding or a joiner? A shame it was a non-starter but my single seat (without cushions/headrest) is extremely heavy, I can only imagine what a double is like to manoeuvre!

FirstclassHST

That's interesting. Are they someone who specialises in metal work/welding or a joiner? A shame it was a non-starter but my single seat (without cushions/headrest) is extremely heavy, I can only imagine what a double is like to manoeuvre!
Hi Chiltern,

Yeah they are an expert in metal work etc however you are right transporting the seats all the way over to them is not something we could do unless we want to break our backs lol.

I was in contact with Scotrail and CFbooths about the carriages however CFBOOTHs was quick to inform me all the first class seat cushions were removed prior to delivery which totally contradicts what scotrail told me re assuring that the seats were intact :/

Hey! Thanks for letting me know I’ll keep an eye out for them.

That’s exactly the type of thing I do everyday when I sit on them lol
Perfect timing. I've recently asked for a slam door...

ChilternTurbo

I now have a second leg/foot for my single seat thanks to my friend and neighbour who's something of a wizz with carpentry. It exactly matches the dimensions of the original steel fitment which would have been on the aisle side of the seat. It will need drilling into place (and the original one bolting) and is a made from a rather substantial piece of oak. It's had a coat of dark brown wood paint and blends in with the rest of the seat quite well. I haven't finished the paint job yet as it needs flatting and another coat. I'll also fit some rubber pads to the bases. It's not perfect but does stablise the seat. I've also 'locked' it into recline which was my favoured position when I travelled on these trains.

IMG_4241-1.jpg

I have also refitted the cleaned seat cushions and have treated them to another coat of leather conditioner and I think they've responded well to a deep clean. Incidentally, the seat cushions date from 2015 and were in a carriage that was withdrawn in 2019 so they had very short lives in service. Here's the
reassembled seat which is currently in the back of my garage but I'll move it into my office once the legs are fitted

.IMG_4240-1.jpg

IMG_4239-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.