• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex LNER (and Grand Central) Mark 4 sets for TfW

sd0733

Established Member
What a great shame I missed it. As I understand it, it's on borrowed time with TfW?

Edit: Checking my haulages log I had it in 2022 actually :oops: Still only 022 I need.
Not something I've ever heard. Need any modified loco that works that's going, the one being done extra is an additional nothing will leave the fleet.

As it stands 022 will be out with HD03 from Crewe on 23rd. Plenty of time for that to change yet though!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

aar0

Bikes yes, I don't know about other things.
It’s a bulky old fashioned pram I’m collecting for a mate
As long as you can get it in there yourself you would be OK l, just speak to the Guard when the train arrives.

There's only 2 diagrams running at the moment so Worth checking before you want to go!
Only 2!! Jesus. I think I’d be rightly glared at for parking it in the doorway of a 150…
1.Ecs to Swansea
05:36 Swansea to Manchester
10:30 Manchester to Cardiff
17:14 Cardiff to Holyhead

2. 04:35 Cardiff to Manchester
08:30 Manchester to Cardiff
14:49 Cardiff to Manchester
18:30 Manchester to Cardiff

3. (Won't run tomorrow)
05:33 Holyhead to Cardiff
10:52 Cardiff to Manchester
14:30 Manchester to Cardiff
18:55 Cardiff to Manchester
Ecs to Crewe
How are there so few? And also, what annoying timings for someone who lives in Swansea and works near Manchester and wants to enjoy at least one pleasant train…

LowLevel

Established Member
It’s a bulky old fashioned pram I’m collecting for a mate

Only 2!! Jesus. I think I’d be rightly glared at for parking it in the doorway of a 150…

How are there so few? And also, what annoying timings for someone who lives in Swansea and works near Manchester and wants to enjoy at least one pleasant train…
Just make sure you have a backup plan in case the traincrew say no, if it really is that big. The railway doesn't really consider it it's role any longer, rightly or wrongly, to carry large items around the country.

sd0733

Established Member
Tomorrow 1V91 Will be a unit as there's none in Holyhead with HD02 coming off Canton for the 10:52 Manchester which *should* then bring it back to 4 diagrams for the rest of Monday, 3 on Tuesday (v31/w55/v42/w23 not 67s on Tuesday) then 4 again from Wednesday onwards.

67007 is going from DB to cover and should go on HD03 which Will then release 67022 back into the operational pool, this is now planned to replace 008 on HD02 on Thursday and return to traffic on Friday on one of the Crewe starts

Thank you, appreciated :)
Sadly looks as if one didn't show. Sets ended up all over the place from the fallen tree on Friday which seems to have ended up with all the plans out the window and neither sets coming off Canton yesterday :frown:

Edited to update plans RE 67022/67008

Last edited:

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Tomorrow 1V91 Will be a unit as there's none in Holyhead with HD02 coming off Canton for the 10:52 Manchester which *should* then bring it back to 4 diagrams.

67007 is going from DB to cover and should go on HD03 which Will then release 67022 back into the operational pool, this is now planned to replace 008 on HD02 tomorrow and enter service on Tuesday on 04:54 from Crewe if all goes as planned.

Sadly looks as if one didn't show. Sets ended up all over the place from the fallen tree on Friday which seems to have ended up with all the plans out the window and neither sets coming off Canton yesterday :frown:
I presume 67007 is not fitted with the Mk4 mods though? If it is then that is an epic livery for our sets!

Do you know what happened to 013? Seems to be parked in the siding at Hereford!

sd0733

Established Member
I presume 67007 is not fitted with the Mk4 mods though? If it is then that is an epic livery for our sets!

Do you know what happened to 013? Seems to be parked in the siding at Hereford!
No it's not modified so Will just be there to power up HD03 when required and to act as Rescue and Recovery loco.

No! It was supposed to go to Canton but obviously didn't make it for some reason.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
When I get onto the phone in a bit, currently on the MacBook as I had some files to update from today, I'll post a photo of 67013 at Hereford :)

I got very excited there when I saw mention of 67007, a shame it won't be producing as it's one of my last two in the class to get. One day I might actually get it, if I ever find myself on a charter train again. The odds of which get less every year!

SV 10305 from HD08 left Landore today and is heading to Bristol Barton Hill. The POD 11316, TOD 12308 & TO 12526 will be following suit.

IMG20231016130408.jpg

aar0

I happen to working in an office next to Shrewsbury station, and I’ve only seen on set out, the black one pulling 1V50 - which I hope is running tomorrow as it’s my ride home!

sd0733

Established Member
I happen to working in an office next to Shrewsbury station, and I’ve only seen on set out, the black one pulling 1V50 - which I hope is running tomorrow as it’s my ride home!
There are 2 planned to start tomorrow and 2 which are out of place to enter service in the afternoon now so 1W19/1V50 is planned to be HD07. Time will tell though!

marshallt

Can anyone tell me what times the Mk4 sets will be running from Manchester on Monday 23rd October please?

marshallt

...and has anyone managed to have the hot food in 1st class yet? I had it on the Premier Service several months ago and it was great, but not on the Manchester route yet. There was no chef the day I went, not even a trolly with some crisps.

aar0

Obviously it could change by next week, but today the Mk4s are at 8:30 and 12:30, one may be on the 16:30 but it's not on Realtime trains.
I’m waiting for it to pass the Crewe rail cam to decide if I have to buy dinner for the train or not!
...and has anyone managed to have the hot food in 1st class yet? I had it on the Premier Service several months ago and it was great, but not on the Manchester route yet. There was no chef the day I went, not even a trolly with some crisps.
Yes, twice, and it’s marvellous. They stop completely on the approach to Abergavenny though.

GWVillager

I have, it’s indeed very good. I had to get off at Shrewsbury and they packaged the cheese course up so I could take it off the train. Sadly, it’s the inconsistent provision that stops more people using it, I think.

aar0

The 1630 (1744 from Shrewsbury) is the black set, 1st is half full and lots of happy noises coming from the other customers. It was a surprise even to the awaiting crew though!

Changes since they had the time off for engineering work - the curtains are gone, and the arm level slot they ran in has been filled by a flat aluminium section which is neat. It’s also where I usually stacked my phone and battery back but nevermind. They’ve reupholstered the armrests and added the T for TfW on the headrests, both of which are smart and comfy. The First branding stickers covering the top of the windows is a bit clunkily done and does block them views however.

Last edited:

GWVillager

Changes since they had the time off for engineering work - the curtains are gone, and the arm level slot they ran in has been filled by a flat aluminium section which is neat. It’s also where I usually stacked my phone and battery back but nevermind. They’ve reupholstered the armrests and added the T for TfW on the headrests, both of which are smart and comfy. The First branding stickers covering the top of the windows is a bit clunkily done and does block them views however.
Curtains removed? I thought they’d been added.

sd0733

Established Member
Curtains removed? I thought they’d been added.
The black sets have never had curtains. They were supposed to be added at the same time as all thr branding but weren't.
The red sets are unchanged curtain wise.

D6130

Established Member
Yes....three times now, always on 1W96, 17 14 Cardiff-Holyhead. On the first occasion, I was travelling with a friend from France and we both agreed that it was excellent quality and value. The second time I was travelling on my own and was equally-impressed. The third time I was travelling with my wife - on her birthday - and she was mightily impressed. There is one particular Holyhead-based chef (I know her name, but won't mention it on here) who really does go above and beyond the call of duty in trying to satisfy customers' likes and preferences within the limits of the ingredients available. I was very lucky that she was on duty on two of my three trips. She did, however, tell me that TfW were having great difficulty in recruiting and retaining travelling chefs....not least because of the very long working days involved. :smile:

LiftFan

Not yet, 3/4 times there hasn't been a chef and the other time there was a chef and food but the card machine wasn't working so they couldn't take any payments!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
She did, however, tell me that TfW were having great difficulty in recruiting and retaining travelling chefs....not least because of the very long working days involved. :smile:
It’s also a very limited kitchen space. I’m a three-section-chef in a restaurant near Cardiff Bay (balanced alongside my journalism work) and am lucky that we have a really spacious kitchen. I could never cook happily in a space as confined as it is on those trains, and that’s before you add in the movement of the train.

Techniquest

Veteran Member

It's been months since I did First on a MK4, but I did get food and it was really good. Granted, it was just beans on toast (the avocado was in the freezer apparently) but it was very well received.