• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex LNER (and Grand Central) Mark 4 sets for TfW

MP393

How many 67s are now modified to work with the Mk4s?

67008, 67010, 67012-67015, 67017, 67020, 67022, 67025 & 67029 makes 11.

There was talk of another one being modified and added to the pool but I haven’t seen anything surface of that yet

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
67008, 67010, 67012-67015, 67017, 67020, 67022, 67025 & 67029 makes 11.

There was talk of another one being modified and added to the pool but I haven’t seen anything surface of that yet
016 is the one mooted, presumably in the process.

MP393

016 is the one mooted, presumably in the process.

Yes I had heard either 016 or 028, the latter working for TfW briefly as a rescue Loco and some other work out of Canton before being put on the tender list by DB. Would indicate 016 is more likely, it would certainly look interesting on a rake in its now faded EWS livery if it wasn’t repainted first!

Athe

Just looking at this message on the TfW rail app relating to this journey operated with 67029. Does anyone know what happened? This train is in theory 10 minutes in front of the all stopper from Crewe, with that journey appearing to operate.

Attachments

• IMG_0017.png
    IMG_0017.png
    118.9 KB · Views: 133

sd0733

Established Member
Just looking at this message on the TfW rail app relating to this journey operated with 67029. Does anyone know what happened? This train is in theory 10 minutes in front of the all stopper from Crewe, with that journey appearing to operate.
The train in front didn't stop so the Mk4 on the next service picked up the call

Jez

Established Member
I see TFW have another advance ticket sale on - question is whether to book first class for a journey to Manchester in February and risk whether it will actually be the booked MK4. I suppose worst case i could just get a refund if it wasnt a MK4.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I see TFW have another advance ticket sale on - question is whether to book first class for a journey to Manchester in February and risk whether it will actually be the booked MK4. I suppose worst case i could just get a refund if it wasnt a MK4.

Didn't see any cheap Manchester to Cardiff in early March

sd0733

Established Member
Has HD03 done its proving run yet?
No.

It needs to go for a tyre turn anyway so it'll move to Canton which will be used as its Trial run too.
Canton has HD06 stuck there with the errant 67008 plus HD04 on an exam as well as the set going in each night. 3 is the most it can take so if HD03 goes no set can go there in an evening. HD04 I'd due to re-enter service tomorrow and 1V33/1W19/1V50 tomorrow will run as a unit which will then make space at Canton.

Jez

Established Member
Didn't see any cheap Manchester to Cardiff in early March
It was February I was looking at. Normally the sale is between certain dates.

I saw a first class for £13 more than the standard advance. How much is the upgrade on the day normally? It might be worth just upgrading if it is a Mk4 on the day rather than being disappointed on the day.

MP393

I saw a first class for £13 more than the standard advance. How much is the upgrade on the day normally? It might be worth just upgrading if it is a Mk4 on the day rather than being disappointed on the day.

Depends on how far the journey is. For some random examples, Manchester - Cardiff is £26. Drops to £21 from Crewe or Shrewsbury, and drops further the shorter the journey, Hereford - Cardiff for example is £15.50.

Jez

Established Member
Depends on how far the journey is. For some random examples, Manchester - Cardiff is £26. Drops to £21 from Crewe or Shrewsbury, and drops further the shorter the journey, Hereford - Cardiff for example is £15.50.
Mine would be Manchester to Cardiff or Neath if it was the 1630 ex Manchester.

Sounds like £13 extra all the way from Manchester to Neath is an excellent deal then.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

It’s arguably worth it regardless, because even if it’s not you’ll get that £13 back. Nothing to lose.

170UTD

Going to Cardiff beginning of next week and looking to head to Hereford. Any idea which loco hauled service would be best to use and, if I have a choice, wether it would be better to go on an Ex LNER or GC set?
Also, would it be worth upgrading to 1st Class for the journey? What are the perks and how much would it be on the day/on train? Don't want to risk an advanced.
Thanks

MP393

Going to Cardiff beginning of next week and looking to head to Hereford. Any idea which loco hauled service would be best to use and, if I have a choice, wether it would be better to go on an Ex LNER or GC set?
Also, would it be worth upgrading to 1st Class for the journey? What are the perks and how much would it be on the day/on train? Don't want to risk an advanced.
Thanks

Cardiff - Hereford is £15.50 to upgrade on the day. You’ll get free tea & coffee/juice, and some snacks, can’t remember the specifics of the snacks! The main food is available to purchase from the menu. Other perks are the obviously more spacious 2+1 layout, large seats and more privacy. The ex GC sets are a little neater and tidier, the old LNER ones are definitely showing their age a bit more now but the layout is the same.

Diagram wise I think it’s hard to tell at the moment with certain sets and locos being out of use for various reasons. @sd0733 is normally able to provide some provisional workings a bit closer to the time.

170UTD

Cardiff - Hereford is £15.50 to upgrade on the day. You’ll get free tea & coffee/juice, and some snacks, can’t remember the specifics of the snacks! The main food is available to purchase from the menu. Other perks are the obviously more spacious 2+1 layout, large seats and more privacy. The ex GC sets are a little neater and tidier, the old LNER ones are definitely showing their age a bit more now but the layout is the same.

Diagram wise I think it’s hard to tell at the moment with certain sets and locos being out of use for various reasons. @sd0733 is normally able to provide some provisional workings a bit closer to the time.
Awesome. Am I correct in thinking that the Ex LNER sets are HD01-HD03 with HD04-HD07 being ex Grand Central?

MP393

Awesome. Am I correct in thinking that the Ex LNER sets are HD01-HD03 with HD04-HD07 being ex Grand Central?

That’s correct yes! HD03 hasn’t been in use for a long time and will return to service shortly as a 5 car set. HD01 is now in service as a 5 car.

sd0733

Established Member
Thanks
There's generally a minimum of 3 diagrams these days (obviously on the day swaps can happen over and above that too but that's generally what happens. The most reliable diagrams are the 0435, 1052, 1249, 1714, 1855 departures from Cardiff. They can't be 100% guaranteed but they're more reliable than the other diagram which departs at 0849, 1649 from Cardiff but whilst the project to extend to 5 cars is going on hasn't been the best at being covered.

The ex-GC sets I feel are extremely nice but there are people I've heard who do prefer the unrefurbished LNER sets so is down to personal preference really but I'd still say the GC ones are nicer!

As @MP393 says that's the upgrade price and there's also 1st class advances. If you did get one and the Mk4 didn't materialise for whatever reason then you can claim back a refund On the difference anyway between first and standard so in effect you can't lose. As they also say, I can normally tell a few days beforehand what's planned so if you've got a particular train/day in mind I could quite possibly know a few days beforehand what's likely on it.

GWVillager

Thanks
I’d further everyone else, but add that upgrading to first is worth it in my opinion, though standard is still more than satisfactory for an hour’s journey to Hereford. It can be a little crowded on a 4 car, but you can buy food from the buffet if you’re in standard. Pizza, I believe.

In first, you get drinks and snacks for free, and then there are the full meals which are very good and reasonably priced, but realistically I doubt you’d have time for much between Cardiff and Hereford. I did it once on a journey of the same length, and it was so hasty I couldn’t really enjoy it properly - in the end the staff had to prepare some as a takeaway!

Both the GC and VTEC sets are fantastic, I personally prefer the latter but it doesn’t really matter which one you go with.

D6130

Established Member
In first, you get drinks and snacks for free, and then there are the full meals which are very good and reasonably priced, but realistically I doubt you’d have time for much between Cardiff and Hereford. I did it once on a journey of the same length, and it was so hasty I couldn’t really enjoy it properly - in the end the staff had to prepare some as a takeaway!
You really need to do Cardiff-Shrewsbury as a minimum in order to enjoy a relaxed meal, especially if you're on the evening Holyhead, the catering staff for which often board the train at Newport....so you're unlikely to be served until about Abergavenny at the earliest.

170UTD

Another plan I have is to do Wilmslow to Shrewsbury. Don't suppose you know how much an upgrade to 1st Class on that journey would be? I'm guessing £15.50 since it's virtually the same length as Cardiff to Hereford

Jez

Established Member
When i travelled from Abergavenny to Cardiff last week in first class the catering team were nearly finished and getting off at Newport despite the service running to Swansea. I had to ask about refreshments and was told they would send someone through. I ordered a coffee and it was brought in a paper cup (which was fine, a coffee is a coffee!). The ticket was only about £5.50 more expensive than the standard advance available at the time of booking so i wasnt too bothered - a coffee and a nice quiet carriage with lovely comfortable seats was fine for the extra payment. But if someone wanted to travel Newport to Swansea for example there would no refreshments available if the catering staff were getting off which doesnt really seem fair on passengers to Swansea especially as it is the only MK4 booked there Monday to Saturday. i guess as the train goes back ECS to Canton it would add a lot of time to the staff's shift if they had to work to Swansea.

When i book the Manchester-Cardiff trip i will most likely go for the 1630 ex Manchester as that seems to be fairly reliable as a MK4. Also its handy that i dont have to change at Cardiff Central with some dreadful connections on some services further West. I know I would get a refund of the difference between first and standard however I booking it for a reason, to experience the full first class service so it would still be a massive disappointment if it was subbed especially for a Sprinter.

It’s arguably worth it regardless, because even if it’s not you’ll get that £13 back. Nothing to lose.
A refund and a chance to ride a 197 which is my favourite traction - win win lol. It would be just typical if it was a 150 or 2x153 however.

Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
When i book the Manchester-Cardiff trip i will most likely go for the 1630 ex Manchester as that seems to be fairly reliable as a MK4. Also its handy that i dont have to change at Cardiff Central with some dreadful connections on some services further West. I know I would get a refund of the difference between first and standard however I booking it for a reason, to experience the full first class service so it would still be a massive disappointment if it was subbed especially for a Sprinter.
On the day, if it’s a Sprinter, arrive at Piccadilly early enough for the 67 before, and explain your situation to the guard. He might be a sticker for the rules and tell you to wait two hours, but he might well be sympathetic and tell you to get on. After all, he’ll probably be well aware of just how unpredictable the MK4 diagrams are himself.

170UTD

Another plan I have is to do Wilmslow to Shrewsbury. Don't suppose you know how much an upgrade to 1st Class on that journey would be? I'm guessing £15.50 since it's virtually the same length as Cardiff to Hereford
Sorry to be a pain, but to further this, which is a better section of line to travel on Cardiff to Hereford or Wilmslow to Shrewsbury, and can I pick any seat in 1st and purchase the upgrade or do I need to talk to the conductor before I board? (I don't know how busy 1st Class is normally).
Ultimately it depends what's out when I'm there, as I'd like to get to Swansea on the same day, so I'd be heavily relying on 1W55/1V37. If it's a bust, I'll do Wilmslow to Shrewsbury.

Last edited:

sd0733

Established Member
I'd be heavily relying on 1W55/1V37. If it's a bust, I'll do Wilmslow to Shrewsbury.
You may be lucky but looking at what's where for the start of next week with exams and a backlog of sets at Canton preventing others from moving I'd be more suprised if 1W55 was a Mk4 than a unit. Depending on which day it is more sets may be available by then but as it stands wouldn't get my hopes up too much for that one early next week in all honesty.

aar0

You really need to do Cardiff-Shrewsbury as a minimum in order to enjoy a relaxed meal, especially if you're on the evening Holyhead, the catering staff for which often board the train at Newport....so you're unlikely to be served until about Abergavenny at the earliest.

When i travelled from Abergavenny to Cardiff last week in first class the catering team were nearly finished and getting off at Newport despite the service running to Swansea. I had to ask about refreshments and was told they would send someone through. I ordered a coffee and it was brought in a paper cup (which was fine, a coffee is a coffee!). The ticket was only about £5.50 more expensive than the standard advance available at the time of booking so i wasnt too bothered - a coffee and a nice quiet carriage with lovely comfortable seats was fine for the extra payment. But if someone wanted to travel Newport to Swansea for example there would no refreshments available if the catering staff were getting off which doesnt really seem fair on passengers to Swansea especially as it is the only MK4 booked there Monday to Saturday. i guess as the train goes back ECS to Canton it would add a lot of time to the staff's shift if they had to work to Swansea.
I regularly (once a month or more) take the 1744 from Shrewsbury to Swansea, and the catering staff do indeed get off at Newport, typically doing a last round for drinks and taking payment at Abergavenny.

Most of the time I’ve easily had time for three courses before they clear up, but most recently I was told I could only order from the standard menu as there wasn’t time, and had to argue my case to have two courses - which of course were finished easily before Abergavenny. It was a bit annoying considering it’s a 3 hour journey!