• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex LNER (and Grand Central) Mark 4 sets for TfW

D6130

Established Member
As a matter of interest, what happens to the catering crews if their booked working is subbed by a unit? Do they just sit at home and get payed anyway?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sd0733

Established Member
As a matter of interest, what happens to the catering crews if their booked working is subbed by a unit? Do they just sit at home and get payed anyway?
Other than the chefs they now generally do catering on the units. There's even some trolleys stored in Manchester for that purpose.
The chefs are often not on the same set down as back so if that's the case they'd just have to passenger down to Newport to pick up their back working or vice versa.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Other than the chefs they now generally do catering on the units. There's even some trolleys stored in Manchester for that purpose.
The chefs are often not on the same set down as back so if that's the case they'd just have to passenger down to Newport to pick up their back working or vice versa.
Wouldn't they need trolleys in the south too for a unit subbed from the south or do they come out the common pool on those routes?

sd0733

Established Member
Wouldn't they need trolleys in the south too for a unit subbed from the south or do they come out the common pool on those routes?
They'll just use anything from Newport/Shrewsbury in that case.

At least 90% of the substituting is planned days in advance so it makes it fairly simple to get things in place. It's pretty rare now for failures on the day or swapping un-planned mid diagram.

D6130

Established Member
Thanks. That makes sense.

They'll just use anything from Newport/Shrewsbury in that case.

At least 90% of the substituting is planned days in advance so it makes it fairly simple to get things in place. It's pretty rare now for failures on the day or swapping un-planned mid diagram.

That sounds reassuring.
It's been on my list to do a trip to Cardiff first class and have a breakfast, however, I've heard many horror stories lately that even if you check what stock is on a particular service there might not be a chef on board. It seems like a real game of chance.

Did I read somewhere that they were going to stop the Loco +Mk 4's shortly, I really hope not.

sd0733

Established Member
That sounds reassuring.
It's been on my list to do a trip to Cardiff first class and have a breakfast, however, I've heard many horror stories lately that even if you check what stock is on a particular service there might not be a chef on board. It seems like a real game of chance.

Did I read somewhere that they were going to stop the Loco +Mk 4's shortly, I really hope not.
The chef and catering position has improved drastically over the past few months. It used to be a real mixed bag, hosts and no chef one day, chef and no host the next but there has been a lot of recruitment recently, and still is ongoing which has drastically improved the position. There's still issues, it's not 100%, but it's certainly getting there.

That's definitely not the case. There's lots of investment planned into the Mk4s even after the current 5 car programme and there is even potential for more sets in the future. The days of dreadful availability seem to be behind them and confidence across the board is increasing too.

Newp410

The chef and catering position has improved drastically over the past few months. It used to be a real mixed bag, hosts and no chef one day, chef and no host the next but there has been a lot of recruitment recently, and still is ongoing which has drastically improved the position. There's still issues, it's not 100%, but it's certainly getting there.

That's definitely not the case. There's lots of investment planned into the Mk4s even after the current 5 car programme and there is even potential for more sets in the future. The days of dreadful availability seem to be behind them and confidence across the board is increasing too.
That backs up what the MD told us a few months back, that ideally they wanted between nine to 11 sets which would mean more of the Marches trains would be Mk4s that not. When CAF start delivering their new trains for LNER, I'd be very surprised if some of the displaced Mk4s don't find their way over the border.

Western 52

Hopefully more Mk4 sets means more through running west of Cardiff. It's not good for those of us living down west at the moment with far fewer through trains than we had plus often poor connections at Cardiff.

Lurcheroo

That backs up what the MD told us a few months back
Ohh that’s interesting, it online anywhere ? Or was it an internal thing ?

Hopefully more Mk4 sets means more through running west of Cardiff. It's not good for those of us living down west at the moment with far fewer through trains than we had plus often poor connections at Cardiff.
That really would be nice ! How far west would it be feasible to send them ? Just Swansea or could they go further ?

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Ohh that’s interesting, it online anywhere ? Or was it an internal thing ?

That really would be nice ! How far west would it be feasible to send them ? Just Swansea or could they go further ?
I'd imagine just Swansea. Saves on clearance costs and also I don't know how many runs the 67s would be able to do without a refuel.

Anonymous10

Established Member
That backs up what the MD told us a few months back, that ideally they wanted between nine to 11 sets which would mean more of the Marches trains would be Mk4s that not. When CAF start delivering their new trains for LNER, I'd be very surprised if some of the displaced Mk4s don't find their way over the border.
I'm assuming to allow 197s to cascade to replace the 153s? And to bolster services

Lurcheroo

BillStampy

I'd imagine just Swansea. Saves on clearance costs and also I don't know how many runs the 67s would be able to do without a refuel.
Swansea is probably the only option, since Carmarthen is Carmarthen and the MK4's only go as far as Swansea as is so extending it further would be a weird decision in my opinion. That's if they ever do get extended supposing we get more sets!

Lurcheroo

Swansea is probably the only option, since Carmarthen is Carmarthen and the MK4's only go as far as Swansea as is so extending it further would be a weird decision in my opinion. That's if they ever do get extended supposing we get more sets!
Would certainly be nice to see if they did !

I haven't heard anything about that, do you remember where you read it? Since it would be a weird decision to stop them for a short time.

As with a lot of these things, I can't put my finger on it now, I had a feeling it was in Modern railways but can't be sure. I'm wondering if it might have been last year when they were having trouble with the 67's.

As others have said below, it seems that it's not true anyway, there's always the possibility that I misread it!

Phil from Mon

Do you know if that means a return to more Holyhead workings too? I miss my lunches travelling to Cardiff!

sd0733

Established Member
Do you know if that means a return to more Holyhead workings too? I miss my lunches travelling to Cardiff!
Not totally sure what the plans are to be honest. The issue there now is on the Holyheads is that many of the catering staff now work 5 shorter days than 4 longer ones to take account of the reduced time A Manchester takes over a Holyhead so any return to those would need staffing changes. It's not insurmountable but a bit of a hurdle the Holyheads returning.

sd0733

Established Member
MK4 replacing a 197 diagram which stops at more local stations between Swansea and Cardiff...
Llansalmlet, Skewen, Briton Ferry and Baglan aren't permitted Mk4 calls so it won't be able to stop at those.

Jez

Established Member
MK4 replacing a 197 diagram which stops at more local stations between Swansea and Cardiff...
I assume this will be swapped. Is it usually booked for a 153 or is it different on a Saturday ?

Jez

Established Member
There's a 153 coming into platform 4 from the HOW line as 2V22 so I imagine it might form off that.
Yes thats what usually happens. The 153 forms the last Swanline of the day to get it back to Canton.

BillStampy

I assume this will be swapped. Is it usually booked for a 153 or is it different on a Saturday ?
See how it goes? Canton has been cancelled due to a problem at the depot but it seems bizzare for them to allocate that if the 153 arrives just then

There's a 153 coming into platform 4 from the HOW line as 2V22 so I imagine it might form off that.
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:P64884/2024-03-09/detailed#allox_id=0 thats why it isn't...

New edit, shows on TfW app that it's cancelled the stops of local stations such as Llansamlet or Baglan

Last edited:

Jez

Established Member
See how it goes? Canton has been cancelled due to a problem at the depot but it seems bizzare for them to allocate that if the 153 arrives just then

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:P64884/2024-03-09/detailed#allox_id=0 thats why it isn't...

New edit, shows on TfW app that it's cancelled the stops of local stations such as Llansamlet or Baglan
I hope road transport was organised for any passengers to Llansamlet, Skewen, Briton Ferry and Baglan. Totally unacceptable otherwise with it being the last service.

Seems an odd choice to use a MK4 when nearly half the stops on this service cannot accommodate a MK4.

Topological

This is confusing

RTT shows 3 x 153 from Cardiff to Swansea and a single 153 onwards to Carmarthen?

This train is always busy so I understand why a Mk4 would be better than a single 153.

Use of a Mk4 also responds to those of us who feel Swansea has been let down by the whole Mk4 project.

Jez

Established Member
This is confusing

RTT shows 3 x 153 from Cardiff to Swansea and a single 153 onwards to Carmarthen?

This train is always busy so I understand why a Mk4 would be better than a single 153.

Use of a Mk4 also responds to those of us who feel Swansea has been let down by the whole Mk4 project.
Agreed using a MK4 is good extra capacity for most passengers going to the mainline stations like Neath, Bridgend etc but pointless using it for a Swanline as quite a few people use these stations especially on a Friday and Saturday night after a night out in Swansea. if road replacement transport wasnt provided there could be quite a few claims for taxis! Which will cost TFW more money in the long run.

Topological

Agreed using a MK4 is good extra capacity for most passengers going to the mainline stations like Neath, Bridgend etc but pointless using it for a Swanline as quite a few people use these stations especially on a Friday and Saturday night after a night out in Swansea. if road replacement transport wasnt provided there could be quite a few claims for taxis! Which will cost TFW more money in the long run.
I suspect a single 153 would have led to more claims.

Either way, if it ran as 3x153 then all is fine.

There were probably some spare 153s or 150s that could have been used if they were not half way to Manchester at the time :) ;) :)

BillStampy

Any ideas why Manchester to Swansea was cut down to just Cardiff on quite a few services today including what would've been HD05's diagram if it hadn't had an issue with the doors?