• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex LNER (and Grand Central) Mark 4 sets for TfW

Turbo004

Been put down to issues with the jumper cables. Seems a remarkable coincidence that all the sets have had similar issues over the past couple of weeks, not sure if something has been done to the jumpers or connectors recently.

HD05 and HD06 are now out of action at Canton for repairs following the jumper issues with HD01 still planned to join them from Crewe with 67020 taking it for tyre turning tomorrow. Losing those 2 means that the disgram with 06:27 and 16:30 from Manchester will be a unit.

Friday is planned for 4 diagrams with the 16:49 and 17:14 from Cardiff swapping sets, HD07 will then end in Holyhead for storage for a week or so with 67022 returning light engine to Crewe overnight.
67022 is more likely to return light engine to Crewe on Saturday morning.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Newp410

Given Sat / Sun / Mon Cardiff trains are via Chester and terminate at Crewe over the bank holiday weekend, does anyone have an idea of planned diagrams please? TiA.

BillStampy

HD06 I believe failed to escape Canton (atleast I believe it was, please correct me if I'm wrong) on 1W19 and 1V50, is it known why? and if so will it make it out tomorrow?

sd0733

Established Member
HD06 I believe failed to escape Canton (atleast I believe it was, please correct me if I'm wrong) on 1W19 and 1V50, is it known why? and if so will it make it out tomorrow?
Still showing as available so not sure why it's not gone, but it's not set related anyway, it's planned to do 1W11/1V37/1W23 tomorrow.

Given Sat / Sun / Mon Cardiff trains are via Chester and terminate at Crewe over the bank holiday weekend, does anyone have an idea of planned diagrams please? TiA.
Not seen the details of them yet but there's 3 diagrams on Saturday, 2 from Cardiff (HD04 and 05) and 1 from Crewe (HD06). The Crewe one will be the one starting 1V34. 1V31 forms a Milford Haven when it arrives into Cardiff so rules that one out.
Sunday and Monday should be the normal diagrams as the diversion both ways effectively takes the same time as a Manchester and back. Provisionally HD02 and 06 are out on Sunday.

67020 and HD01 are now on their way to Cardiff on https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:75680/2024-05-23/detailed#allox_id=1 for a loco test run and stock move for tyre turning, that set should be back available next week too.

Last edited:

BillStampy

Still showing as available so not sure why it's not gone, but it's not set related anyway, it's planned to do 1W11/1V37/1W23 tomorrow.
Very odd then..
Sunday and Monday should be the normal diagrams as the diversion both ways effectively takes the same time as a Manchester and back. Provisionally HD02 and 06 are out on Sunday.

Awesome!
Hoping to take 1V70 for a spin on Sunday as I've been waiting for a while, I wasn't avaliable for 2 weeks so hopefully this Sunday is my lucky day! Also which way round is it, is HD02 on Crewe or Canton start?

sd0733

Established Member
Very odd then..

Awesome!
Hoping to take 1V70 for a spin on Sunday as I've been waiting for a while, I wasn't avaliable for 2 weeks so hopefully this Sunday is my lucky day! Also which way round is it, is HD02 on Crewe or Canton start?
02 would be the Crewe start, arrives Friday night and is spare on Saturday

Topological

Coming north on the 05:38 ex Cardiff, it was nice to pass 3 Mk4 sets (the ex-Crewe, the 06:27 from Manchester and the 08:30 from Manchester), it is how it is supposed to be but it really felt like there were Mk4s in operation today.

Still want to see a 5-car 197 Marches, but today definitely felt positive.

Jez

Established Member
I'm on the 1052 Cardiff to Manchester. No chef on board which is slightly disappointing as I waa going to get a hot sandwich but at least there is coffee! Not in first class as my ticket was expensive enough as it is with no advances cheaper than the on the day return fare. I'm in the carriage behind first class which is a bit odd as you have to walk through first to get to the buffet coach. Was nice and quiet leaving Cardiff but its picked up now with lots of people but still got plenty of space. 5 cars is most definitely needed.

Does anyone know if any MK4 will be out over the weekend with the engineering works and diversion via Chester? I'm intending coming back on Sunday.

sd0733

Established Member
Does anyone know if any MK4 will be out over the weekend with the engineering works and diversion via Chester? I'm intending coming back on Sunday
Sunday should be the normal diagrams, 1W56 and 1W60 heading from Swansea plus 1V70 and 1V18 heading from Crewe.
There are 2 spare sets on Canton so it's hoped to get one of them to run an additional working vice 197 to get it to Holyhead to form 1V91 on Monday if possible.

Jez

Established Member
Sunday should be the normal diagrams, 1W56 and 1W60 heading from Swansea plus 1V70 and 1V18 heading from Crewe.
There are 2 spare sets on Canton so it's hoped to get one of them to run an additional working vice 197 to get it to Holyhead to form 1V91 on Monday if possible.
Thank you for the update.

Topological

Had a 5-car on the 16:30 from Piccadilly. It had lost time coming north and lost time going south. There really needs to be a better solution for the dwell time at stations where the platforms are too short (which seems to be most of them)

The train is nicer than the 197, but the 197 I went north on was no problem and had it had 5 carriages would have been much more comfortable.

Ill enjoy the Mk4 while I can, but I will always believe that an all 197 Marches would be a better Marches (though it would mean ordering more to get 5-cars)

BillStampy

HD04 has failed at Hereford and now headed for Canton, still have HD05 and HD06 out, but not a great start for the weekend, Sunday diagrams are still unaffected as HD06 and HD02 are available for tomorrow

Turbo004

67022 needs an 'A' exam and hence isn't going light engine from Holyhead to Crewe today. Providing it passes it's A Exam on Sunday it should be going light engine on Monday morning from Holyhead to Crewe.

JakeMurphy

Hopefully they send one to HD

sd0733

Established Member
Hopefully they send one to HD
Looks unlikely now unfortunately, combination of which depots work various trains and stopping patterns at non-Mk4 cleared stations (requests on Anglesey) means it's difficult, there's also no spare crews on a Sunday as ecs was also looked at.
More likely to pick up the diagram at 10:52 from Cardiff tomorow now

mikestone1952

I seem to be missing something - why is there not a set at Holyhead. RTT shows a hauled set but no loco number on 1W96 Fri.

CW2

Established Member
67012 currently working 0944 Crewe - Swansea via Chester. A slow start from Hereford was followed by a pause to admire the scenery. A reboot was carried out at Abergavenny. I wonder what my chances are of making it to Swansea and back ...?

sd0733

Established Member
67012 currently working 0944 Crewe - Swansea via Chester. A slow start from Hereford was followed by a pause to admire the scenery. A reboot was carried out at Abergavenny. I wonder what my chances are of making it to Swansea and back ...?
The only thing that will stop it going to Swansea is it's dodgy wiper has returned and gone off the screen. The HEP issue has been resolved.

CW2

Established Member
The only thing that will stop it going to Swansea is it's dodgy wiper has returned and gone off the screen. The HEP issue has been resolved.
The dodgy wiper has gone off the screen, train terminated at Cardiff.

BillStampy

Also at Cardiff, absolutely absurd to cancel it when it was ready to go. Already sending emails for my refund on my first class ticket return. Luckily there's a train home I'm going to take now

CW2

Established Member
I also gave up at Cardiff and returned home via London.
Meanwhile 67012 and set were turned back out for the 1455 Swansea to Crewe starting from Cardiff. It made it as far as Beeston Castle before collapsing once more. Job at a standstill. Methinks 67012 will be on the naughty step again after this ...

Edit: NR now quoting flooding as the cause of line closure. I take it back 67012, no naughty step for you.

Last edited:

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Does anyone know when 67029 will be back in service?
It's awaiting new wheelsets so can only do light work at the moment.. may be a while.

I've received the LTP diagrams from TfW in an FOI request for the June TT change and this is what I can see for locos/sets Monday to Friday. Note these are the LTPs and are not confirmed to be like this from day 1.

1W11 1V37 1W19 1V50
1W13 1V39 1W96
1V91 1W57 1V46 1W65
1V31 1W55 1V42 1W23
1V33 1W61 1V62

Last edited:

sd0733

Established Member
Not especially Traction related but it's something that's been brought up on this thread from time to time, the Railcard discount on the upgrades for holders of valid national railcards (but not Priv) will, with immediate effect be able to get 34% discount on onboard First Class upgrade fares.

Fleetwise, there's been a couple of headlight/wiper faults on 67s this week but availability has been generally been ok with a spare set almost all week.
There is a planned unit substituting on Friday just on the 06:27 from Manchester as HD04 stops for exam at Crewe so HD06 which had been spare will take over the rest of the diagram from Cardiff at 12:49

Last edited:

BillStampy

HD02 and HD05 have swapped diagrams, HD05 originally meant to be 1649 from CDF, switched to 1714 to HHD, HD02 now on 1649. Any reason?

sd0733

Established Member
HD02 and HD05 have swapped diagrams, HD05 originally meant to be 1649 from CDF, switched to 1714 to HHD, HD02 now on 1649. Any reason?
Yes, it was a pre-planned way of getting things in the right place for the weekend. 67025 is planned to come off HD05 on Saturday and be replaced by 67014.
If HD05 finished in Crewe tonight it wouldn't be possible for both HD04 and HD05 to be there on Saturday

BillStampy

Yes, it was a pre-planned way of getting things in the right place for the weekend. 67025 is planned to come off HD05 on Saturday and be replaced by 67014.
If HD05 finished in Crewe tonight it wouldn't be possible for both HD04 and HD05 to be there on Saturday
Make sense. Just means I get another attempt on HD02... (0849 from Cardiff tomorrow)