• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex police as Train Drivers - Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

IKB

Really?

With 149 posts to my 4, i'd say you're more entrenched in whatever reputation this forum has. You also said yourself " that may not go down well with applicants from other professions who might fit the bill equally as well "...

I agree with your statement, then you get huffy about it?

I may have misinterpreted your attempt at sarcasm with genuine unhappiness with what I wrote. It is hard to tell in text format. I was deliberately acknowledging that targeted recruitment would be unpopular (for obvious reasons) and also going out of my way to acknowledge that those attributes could be possessed by others from other walks of life.

See here's the thing. I got my current job because of the high levels of customer service I demonstrated during my interview. They weren't as interested in those character traits you mention although candidates obviously have to have those abilities. I'm also a genuinely nice person and can be self deprecating. Quite frankly I think ex police or ex armed forces personnel can be quite arrogant at times.

Agree TOCs are looking out for the customer service angle as well these days and obviously experience of that can be drawn from a variety of jobs.

Not sure where to go with your last sentence, a rather crass generalisation IMO. Arrogance is down to the individual. A lot of my former colleagues and I are also "genuinely nice people" too !

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Louby

I recall South Eastern having a customer service pre-screening questionnaire that you had to pass before you could apply for the role.

The entire process has changed from when I passed 2 yrs ago, even the online application down to the dtm interview

Mosschops1977

Hi all, I am pending a medical before appointment with Northern, but I was just wondering if there are any benefits which you can subscribe to similar to those as a cop e.g like the Federation, Group Insurance, and if there are additional such as life cover with the pension?

Also,in terms of the pension, what are the amounts to pay and the rewards/structure of the scene, and can you or is it best to transfer your police pension over?

Thanks in advance.

I made the jump two years ago after 15 years in the job. I can honestly say it is the best thing I have ever done. I just wish I did it sooner.
More money, less hours, less grief, more holiday. The decision is a no brainer really. Only down side I have worked out since leaving is that I have to pay full price for a dominos pizza, but thats a sacrifice that you should be willing to make.

I chose not to move my pension over as I thought (although I didn't seek advice) that by freezing it at least I would know exactly what I would be getting. Also making it near on bullet proof from the parasites in parliament to destroy it even further than they did.
I currently pay 7.2% into railway pension. It is final salary at the moment but I didn't think it was worth transferring it over, only for years down the line the government attack the railway pension in the same way they have the police/fire brigade. At least this way I will definitely have one final salary pension. Saying that I think the government would find it a lot tougher in meddling with the railway scheme as there would be an all out strike, unlike the pathetic attempts by the fat cats in the federation. If memory serves me right all they did was send out a questionnaire. Very militant!!

On the new career all I can say is good luck and whatever doubts you might have in making the jump, ignore them and go for it. It is the best thing you will do. I can only comment on my own depot, where I was followed by another ex copper. We have frequently chatted and nether of us have any complaints. Probably the happiest drivers at the depot.
Being able to make plans on your weekends off and not worrying if you are going to get your rest day cancelled is a thing of the past. It is only since leaving that you realise how dire working in the police actually is.

good luck

IKB

I made the jump two years ago after 15 years in the job. I can honestly say it is the best thing I have ever done. I just wish I did it sooner.
More money, less hours, less grief, more holiday. The decision is a no brainer really. Only down side I have worked out since leaving is that I have to pay full price for a dominos pizza, but thats a sacrifice that you should be willing to make.

I chose not to move my pension over as I thought (although I didn't seek advice) that by freezing it at least I would know exactly what I would be getting. Also making it near on bullet proof from the parasites in parliament to destroy it even further than they did.
I currently pay 7.2% into railway pension. It is final salary at the moment but I didn't think it was worth transferring it over, only for years down the line the government attack the railway pension in the same way they have the police/fire brigade. At least this way I will definitely have one final salary pension. Saying that I think the government would find it a lot tougher in meddling with the railway scheme as there would be an all out strike, unlike the pathetic attempts by the fat cats in the federation. If memory serves me right all they did was send out a questionnaire. Very militant!!

On the new career all I can say is good luck and whatever doubts you might have in making the jump, ignore them and go for it. It is the best thing you will do. I can only comment on my own depot, where I was followed by another ex copper. We have frequently chatted and nether of us have any complaints. Probably the happiest drivers at the depot.
Being able to make plans on your weekends off and not worrying if you are going to get your rest day cancelled is a thing of the past. It is only since leaving that you realise how dire working in the police actually is.

good luck

I'd echo all of the above, can't disagree.

The pension is a tricky one as it depends on what you were earning, length of service etc. All I would say is that if your TOC section of the Railway Pension Scheme accepts transfers, you are able to get a quote beforehand which will detail how many years you would eventually "buy" in the railway scheme. You can obtain a transfer request form from the Police Pension Scheme and send it to RPS who will give a quote. Without obligation you can then say yay or nay.

Garth1971

I'm making the move also, soon to be ex-copper to trainee train driver. Looking forward to the change having served 14 years in the police. Fed up with my pay decreasing (after increased pension and N/I contributions) and diminishing 'career' prospects, cancelled rest days due to operations, court appearances (where you are generally stood down anyway but not before you've attended court in the middle of a set of rest days)...oh the list goes on!

Anyway, I was concerned what to do with the pension as I'd heard that you can no longer transfer police pensions, (more of a government / police issue), but I've also considered it might be 'safe' to leave part police and have part rail. I have a friend who moved to the rail after serving some years in the police (a few years ago), they were able to buy many more years rail pension when transferring their pension over. I'll admit, I'm ignorant with pensions and will end up seeking advice but I'd be interested to hear how this has worked for others.

IKB

I'm making the move also, soon to be ex-copper to trainee train driver. Looking forward to the change having served 14 years in the police. Fed up with my pay decreasing (after increased pension and N/I contributions) and diminishing 'career' prospects, cancelled rest days due to operations, court appearances (where you are generally stood down anyway but not before you've attended court in the middle of a set of rest days)...oh the list goes on!

I feel your pain there!

Anyway, I was concerned what to do with the pension as I'd heard that you can no longer transfer police pensions, (more of a government / police issue), but I've also considered it might be 'safe' to leave part police and have part rail. I have a friend who moved to the rail after serving some years in the police (a few years ago), they were able to buy many more years rail pension when transferring their pension over. I'll admit, I'm ignorant with pensions and will end up seeking advice but I'd be interested to hear how this has worked for others.

Sent you a DM re this.

Last edited:

m@tty

I'm considering the switch but from the Ambulance Service as currently a Paramedic..
I was advised that if I do switch keep my NHS pension and freeze it..

maccalad

Thanks for the info so far guys.

I have no worries about making the jump, just initial concerns about taking the drop in pay, but the way I have rationalised this is that it is only short-term, and given that my mortgage has gone, I will take home the same amounts as I did when I was paying a mortgage.

In terms of the pension, I will be freezing it and keeping it where it is - 11.5 yrs in the 87 scheme which would be payable at 60, and 2.5 yrs in the CARE scheme which would be payable at state pension age.........this way at 60, I,d also collect my Rail pension, and at 68 a state pension.......assuming it still exists!

Are there any other benefits such as group insurance, which offers the breakdown cover and home emergency? How has being a train driver affected car insurance premiums? Just little niggles over finances really which I have to live through short term.

Last edited:

Albatross

The railway is going the same way as other jobs. The railway is not immune from the world. You will get just as fed up.

No they won't. Trust me unless you've been a cop you don't realise how crap it is.

I've been out and on the railway for a good few years now and I'm still delirious in comparison.

Re the pension if they allowed you to transfer it straight away then yes, defo do it as you'll be on training rate youll get more years for your money but once you're on full money it's pretty much like for like but I'm pretty sure Northern don't let you transfer in anymore till you've been with them 12 months.

djsmith200

fair play to you all. im a firefighter looking to do the same. the only thing i will miss (like you and your dominoes) is the nandos discount and the banter of working as a group!

redbutton

Only ones I can answer are that you can't transfer any other pension into the railway , it's roughly 5% you pay into but can pay more via brass( kind of a top up etc)

I believe this depends on the TOC. I was definitely able to transfer in my private pension £s to buy additional length of service.

beavercreek

Regarding pensions..
I currently pay as a driver around £73 a week into my pension which is matched by my employer at 1.5%.
I pay into Brass (a AVC) £50 a week which is not matched but takes me under the 40% bracket just about.
The most you can pay into Brass is roughly £108 a week depending on your salary.
We are kind of protected but we are now a target and NI contributions have increased as we can't opt out anymore but we are all together as brothers in the UKs strongest union.
*my opinion and figures based on my own circumstances.

IKB

I have no worries about making the jump, just initial concerns about taking the drop in pay, but the way I have rationalised this is that it is only short-term, and given that my mortgage has gone, I will take home the same amounts as I did when I was paying a mortgage.

In terms of the pension, I will be freezing it and keeping it where it is - 11.5 yrs in the 87 scheme which would be payable at 60, and 2.5 yrs in the CARE scheme which would be payable at state pension age.........this way at 60, I,d also collect my Rail pension, and at 68 a state pension.......assuming it still exists!

Are there any other benefits such as group insurance, which offers the breakdown cover and home emergency? How has being a train driver affected car insurance premiums? Just little niggles over finances really which I have to live through short term.

The initial drop in wage hasn't caused me too many problems, but have had to utilise a credit card to keep things going. You just have to view it as short term pain for long term gain.

If your RPS TOC pension accepts transfers in then I would still get a quote as to how many years you would buy in the RPS scheme. If you get the quote based on your training salary then you will buy many more years that 11.5 - at least half more again. If you're not happy with the quote then just tick 'no' and you haven't lost anything.

No they won't. Trust me unless you've been a cop you don't realise how crap it is.

I've been out and on the railway for a good few years now and I'm still delirious in comparison.

Re the pension if they allowed you to transfer it straight away then yes, defo do it as you'll be on training rate youll get more years for your money but once you're on full money it's pretty much like for like but I'm pretty sure Northern don't let you transfer in anymore till you've been with them 12 months.

Can't disagree with that. I'm happy as a pig in sh*te at the moment. The key is to remember where you have come from, as you'll be surrounded by a fair few people who will moan about anything and everything.

Last edited:

Louby

Found out today , after 2 years service with northern you can transfer any pension over

whoosh

Established Member

62 now, after the end of 'Contracted out (of the Second State Pension)' workplace pensions, which had a lower level of National Insurance contributions (for Employer and Employee), and the subsequent rise of National Insurance contributions making a drain on the Employer, and leading to changes to the Railway Pension Scheme.
You can still retire at 60 on the railway, but would be a reduced amount under early retirement.

The Railway Pension Scheme is one scheme, however it has many different sections (for TOCs and FOCs for example). All the sections have a different percentage of contributions depending on their funding and liabilities. Some sections restrict transfers in.

Silv1983

Just my 10 pence worth folks:

5 1/2 years as a bobby on the NPPS from 2007. Left in 2012 to Drive for Northern. You used to be able to transfer police pension which was compared to your training salary (major upscale!); but they got wise and put a 2 year minimum timeframe in as Louby has already stated above. My 5.5 years of contributions to the NPPS (£22k ish) bought me 3.5 years in the railway pension. Since I couldn't claim a frozen Police Pension until 65 (due to leaving service prior to serving 37 years), it was a no-braining to transfer in as I was effectively bring my pension forward 5 years (and getting 3.5 years on top). For those pushing 10-15 years and more... there is a £100k limit. So you might not be able to transfer in.

Oh, and just to re-iterate what everyone has said before me - swapping handcuffs for a drivers' key was absolutely the best decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.