• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex-railway worker builds a train station in his garden including a Pullman carriage and locomotive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adlington

A former railway worker has built a train station in his garden to go alongside a full-size Pullman carriage and locomotive.

Paul Chant decided to lay tracks and add a platform and station building to sit next to his old locomotive and British Rail Mark 3 coach at Piltown Farm, near Glastonbury in Somerset. The 'station' is now a prominent sight for drivers on the A361 between Glastonbury and Pilton.

Piltown Station has a wonderful view north towards the Mendip Hills and Mr Chant believes there is huge potential for the carriage to be used for hospitality.
Comments under the source article (Daily Mail) are generally positive, but not everybody likes the garish graffiti on the loco. Also Mr Chant's neighbours point out that no planning permission was sought from the local council.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JKF

Streetview here, only loco visible at time of image. Looks like the guy has a sizeable collection of old tractors and other vintage vehicles too.

On Moderation
The phrase ‘pullman carrage’ is innacurate as it is just a HST buffet coach, not a Manchester pullman or older variety coach.
It isn’t an HST buffet carriage. It is very clearly a loco hauled RFM and would therefore likely to have worked the Manchester Pullman at some point. So not unreasonable to call it a Pullman carriage.

swanhill41

I personally know this person..Obviously unable to comment on him as a person ,but can say with certainty that he has not nor will he apply for planning permission for
what he is doing..Must admit that his station has been built by a professional as the finish is A1.
Oh by the way this farm is located next to Worthy Farm ,the location of the Glastonbury Festival!

Gloster

Established Member
I personally know this person..Obviously unable to comment on him as a person ,but can say with certainty that he has not nor will he apply for planning permission for
what he is doing..Must admit that his station has been built by a professional as the finish is A1.
Oh by the way this farm is located next to Worthy Farm ,the location of the Glastonbury Festival!

Do you mean by that that he does not believe that he is legally required to apply for planning permission or do you mean that he has just ignored the law and gone ahead and broken it? The quality of the workmanship is irrelevant to that.

Gloster

Established Member
The answer to the first is that gone ahead etc..My comment ref quality of workmanship is a statement of fact .

If you do mean that he ignored the law, I can only say that I hope that the council force him to demolish it. If you think I am being harsh, I know someone (not that far away, although not in Mendip D.C.) who had the same happen next door, when a small cottage was enlarged into a massive house which overlooked their garden, blocked the light and caused numerous other problems. It drove one of the other neighbours into negative equity.

On Moderation
Ah ok. What’s the difference?
Between HST and LHCS Mark 3s?

Plenty, and including:
Buffers: HST doesn't have them, LHCS has retractable
Couplers: HST have Alliance couplers (fixed buckeye), LHCS has drophead buckeye
Train Supply: HST uses 415V three phase, LHCS has 850V (nominal DC or single phase AC) and motor-alternator (or static converter on Chiltern sets) to generate three phase supply
HST stock has 36-way sockets and through cabling to allow power cars to multi; LHCS has RCH jumpers
HST stock has duplicated brake pipes at vehicle ends

Status
Not open for further replies.