• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex Virgin Trains Voyagers, where could they go next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I do find it funny that for saying they've been utterly derided and hated for so long that people are now scrabbling about trying to find uses for them to avoid them being scrapped :lol:

greatvoyager

Established Member
To be fair, not everyone hates them. I don't anyway, even though I know lots of people who do.

If they do go to crosscountry I'd like to see them replace Turbostars on the Cardiff- Nottingham and Birmingham- Stansted routes. It would provide a big boost in capacity and likely reduce journey times. That would also enable the 170s to go elsewhere to replace older stock (Northern 150s for example)

I've never really understood the hatred Voyagers get. I know that they have about half the coaches they should have, and that a lot of the time they're dangerously overcrowded. But I find they're remarkably reliable, and comfortable when they're not crowded. Not to mention how fast they are, I can't think of any DMU before the 800s that can accelerate quicker than them.

greatvoyager

Established Member
If they do go to crosscountry I'd like to see them replace Turbostars on the Cardiff- Nottingham and Birmingham- Stansted routes. It would provide a big boost in capacity and likely reduce journey times. That would also enable the 170s to go elsewhere to replace older stock (Northern 150s for example)

I've never really understood the hatred Voyagers get. I know that they have about half the coaches they should have, and that a lot of the time they're dangerously overcrowded. But I find they're remarkably reliable, and comfortable when they're not crowded. Not to mention how fast they are, I can't think of any DMU before the 800s that can accelerate quicker than them.
I agree, Voyagers get so much hatred and i thinks exaggerated.
If CrossCountry do get them, the the likelihood would be to strengthen the core long distance routes by doubling up. These are massively overcrowded and could do with longer trains.

I agree, Voyagers get so much hatred and i thinks exaggerated.
If CrossCountry do get them, the the likelihood would be to strengthen the core long distance routes by doubling up. These are massively overcrowded and could do with longer trains.

Glad to know I'm not the only one! In an ideal world once leaving Virgin the 221s will strengthen the core long distance routes for the time being. Although I think long term CrossCountry should order new longer bi mode trains for those routes. After that then the Voyagers could work Cardiff- Nottingham and Birmingham- Stansted routes. I just think that 2 or 3 coach 170s on 3 hour plus intercity services is inadequate.

greatvoyager

Established Member
Glad to know I'm not the only one! In an ideal world once leaving Virgin the 221s will strengthen the core long distance routes for the time being. Although I think long term CrossCountry should order new longer bi mode trains for those routes. After that then the Voyagers could work Cardiff- Nottingham and Birmingham- Stansted routes. I just think that 2 or 3 coach 170s on 3 hour plus intercity services is inadequate.
There was a time when 156/158s worked those routes, I can remember 170s being better and helping, but as time has gone on, they've become inadequate in terms of capacity.
I've always been a fan of Voyagers. I was 8 when they were introduced. As far as I'm concerned, they should've been earmarked for CrossCountry as soon as the replacement was announced.

There was a time when 156/158s worked those routes, I can remember 170s being better and helping, but as time has gone on, they've become inadequate in terms of capacity.
I've always been a fan of Voyagers. I was 8 when they were introduced. As far as I'm concerned, they should've been earmarked for CrossCountry as soon as the replacement was announced.

I was only 1! They're all I've known on those routes.

greatvoyager

Established Member
I hope that the new First/Trenitalia franchise don't change too much on the 221s, as it would be easier for XC to integrate them (if that even happens).

I hope that the new First/Trenitalia franchise don't change too much on the 221s, as it would be easier for XC to integrate them (if that even happens).

I doubt they will, seeing as if all goes according to plan they won't have them for very long. On the other hand CrossCounry's Voyagers could do with a refurbishment, so if First/Trenitalia do alter them slightly (perhaps refurbish the interior), it may be for the better.

greatvoyager

Established Member
I doubt they will, seeing as if all goes according to plan they won't have them for very long. On the other hand CrossCounry's Voyagers could do with a refurbishment, so if First/Trenitalia do alter them slightly (perhaps refurbish the interior), it may be for the better.
Either way, the interiors look dated now. Would be nice to see it refreshed.

Either way, the interiors look dated now. Would be nice to see it refreshed.

I was on one yesterday and thought it looked a bit tired, especially with no daylight through the windows as it was in the evening. I changed to a GWR 800 at Bristol Parkway and was staggered by how much brighter it was. If First/Trenitalia do decide to alter the interior of the 221s their first order of business should be fitting in lights that aren't so dim.

greatvoyager

Established Member
I was on one yesterday and thought it looked a bit tired, especially with no daylight through the windows as it was in the evening. I changed to a GWR 800 at Bristol Parkway and was staggered by how much brighter it was. If First/Trenitalia do decide to alter the interior of the 221s their first order of business should be fitting in lights that aren't so dim.
A valid point, but it'll be down to cost balanced against how long they are withdrawn, which I expect to be around 2035.

greatvoyager

Established Member
I suspect XC will, at some point over the next 5 years, end up being the only operator of 22x, both to replace HSTs and to allow doubling up on busy services. That can't happen too soon.
Even if just for the short term, it seems most likely.

devonexpress

Both the ex Virgin 221 and supposedly the Class 222(even though they aren't coupling compatible with the other voyagers) are going to XC.

greatvoyager

Established Member
Both the ex Virgin 221 and supposedly the Class 222(even though they aren't coupling compatible with the other voyagers) are going to XC.
Also, I don't think it'll matter that 222s aren't compatible. HSTs aren't compatible either so they'll probably have allocated diagrams.

devonexpress

Also, I don't think it'll matter that 222s aren't compatible. HSTs aren't compatible either so they'll probably have allocated diagrams.
But HST are fixed 7 coaches, the 222s are mix of 5, 6 and 7 coaches. I believe its only a different coupling so it may be that they get modified to fit with the 220/221s so XC have the ability to mix its fleet and bolster busy services.

greatvoyager

Established Member
But HST are fixed 7 coaches, the 222s are mix of 5, 6 and 7 coaches. I believe its only a different coupling so it may be that they get modified to fit with the 220/221s so XC have the ability to mix its fleet and bolster busy services.
It's because of the layout of the electrics, they share the same coupling but if joined together, the leading unit is unable to control the rear unit.
The chances are 4/5 car 222s will be kept working only with each other, whereas 7-car units can work on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.