• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex Virgin Trains Voyagers, where could they go next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatvoyager

Established Member
The ex Avanti 221s are going to be in not much demand other than XC. Could they be used by ROG for fast parcel or freight?

greatvoyager

Established Member
Unfortunately yes. And I'm actually quite surprised by that. There are other threads debating whether superior acceleration of 80x or 397s is enough to make up for the time lost by not tilting.
That what it comes down to. If it can get to 100mph faster than existing stock then it will be fine, as although pendolino/super voyagers can go 125mph, it takes longer to get to that speed.

Energy

Established Member
It really depends on the service, for example a the new Avanti EMUs make sense for the services in the west midlands, like to Birmingham, as their fast acceleration allows them to get up to speed quickly to get to the next station quicker, tilt isn't a big concern as before long they are stopping anyway so fast acceleration makes up time.
On a route to Scotland with few stops tilt absolutely makes sense, tilt helps the units stay at high speed for long periods of time, this is not needed as much on more frequently stopping services.

greatvoyager

Established Member
It really depends on the service, for example a the new Avanti EMUs make sense for the services in the west midlands, like to Birmingham, as their fast acceleration allows them to get up to speed quickly to get to the next station quicker, tilt isn't a big concern as before long they are stopping anyway so fast acceleration makes up time.
On a route to Scotland with few stops tilt absolutely makes sense, tilt helps the units stay at high speed for long periods of time, this is not needed as much on more frequently stopping services.
Frequent stopping could be a regular thing on the WCML after HS2. I expect 390s will retain tilt, but the 221s can probably go without it.

I think that the Avanti services which call at more places will be OK if they don't have tilting stock, but the fast Glasgow services which run non stop from Euston to Warrington? I'm almost certain an 80x couldn't do it as quick as a 390.

Sorry if that was off topic, just wanted to offer my views on the matter.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think that the Avanti services which call at more places will be OK if they don't have tilting stock, but the fast Glasgow services which run non stop from Euston to Warrington? I'm almost certain an 80x couldn't do it as quick as a 390.

Just as well that there's no intention to use 80x on those services then! :)

greatvoyager

Established Member

Frequent stops are okay for 221s as they do that on XC routes. 390s and 125mphbwill probably still work the Scotland services from Euston.

greatvoyager

Established Member
The 221s can be pit onto other routes without tilt, and if it becomes permanently deactivated then it'll reduce costs.

Just as well that there's no intention to use 80x on those services then! :)

That's what I thought. They're using them on the Birmingham services and the Liverpool ones aren't they? I'm fine with 80xs on the former, but don't the Liverpool services run non stop to Stafford? I think an 80x would struggle to keep to 390 timings on that, unless Avanti are changing the timetable.

Going back to the topic of the thread, I think one of the reasons why Voyagers were chosen for the open access operation to Liverpool was because they can tilt, and they felt that would lead to faster journey times overall when compared to superior acceleration. I still believe that the Voyagers are better suited elsewhere, like boosting capacity on XC.

greatvoyager

Established Member
That's what I thought. They're using them on the Birmingham services and the Liverpool ones aren't they? I'm fine with 80xs on the former, but don't the Liverpool services run non stop to Stafford? I think an 80x would struggle to keep to 390 timings on that, unless Avanti are changing the timetable.

Going back to the topic of the thread, I think one of the reasons why Voyagers were chosen for the open access operation to Liverpool was because they can tilt, and they felt that would lead to faster journey times overall when compared to superior acceleration. I still believe that the Voyagers are better suited elsewhere, like boosting capacity on XC.
Voyagers to XC should be a no brainer really.

The Ham

Established Member
Voyagers to XC should be a no brainer really.

Even with the Virgin services to Liverpool, there should be a few spare units for XC.

London to Liverpool current journey time 2:15 to 2:30 (the latter is with a change at Crewe)
Therefore a 6 hour round trip time (i.e. time taken from leaving London to run the whole route and then be ready to leave London again) is likely, which would require 12 units to run an hourly service. Even allowing for a further 2 to 4 spare units that's still 4 to 6 units for XC.

However, if the service is every 2 hours then it could be great it's 10-12 units which XC receives.

greatvoyager

Established Member
Even with the Virgin services to Liverpool, there should be a few spare units for XC.

London to Liverpool current journey time 2:15 to 2:30 (the latter is with a change at Crewe)
Therefore a 6 hour round trip time (i.e. time taken from leaving London to run the whole route and then be ready to leave London again) is likely, which would require 12 units to run an hourly service. Even allowing for a further 2 to 4 spare units that's still 4 to 6 units for XC.

However, if the service is every 2 hours then it could be great it's 10-12 units which XC receives.
Considering the need to ease overcrowding, I hope XC get them.

greatvoyager

Established Member
With the current services they work, I'd say the closest stops are between Edinburgh and Haymarket. Bristol temple meads and parkway are pretty close too. I'm sure they could work what the 170s are on now.
That's what I thought too. I was considering using the VT 221s to displace 4-cr units to that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.