• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Excess Fare help

Status
Not open for further replies.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Hi,

My knowledge on excess fares isn't all too sharp, so I'd like to know if I've made some mistake or I have grounds to complain to Greater Anglia for the following which happened today at London Liverpool St station:

I was at the LST booking office with a friend of mine.

He had the RTN part of a Y-P discounted SVR OFF-PEAK RTN, from Whittlesford Parkway to London Terminals, and wanted it to be excessed to be able to a Cambridge to London Terminals ticket. (The outbound part from London to WLF had already been used and discarded).

I thought that this should be possible, and cost half the difference between the 2 applicable tickets, ie (19.15-14.90)/2 = £2.15 routed Greater Anglia only, or (21.30-14.90)/2 = £3.20 for any permitted route.

However, the clerk assumed he wanted to convert his ticket into a London to Cambridge single, and when informed that he would be travelling to Cambridge on a completely unrelated ticket and wanted the RTN part excessing, she asked to see this other ticket. She then said it is not possible to do the excess. When pressed for a reason, she got quite irritated, and said there is no such thing as an excess rail fare, and he should sort it out at Cambridge before he travelled.

We didn't want to waste all that time queueing to have to queue up again in another station, so told her that excesses do exist. She then tapped at the computer and told us the excess fare was £4.30. I looked at the customer part of the till and it read "Cambridge -> Whittlesford Pway ANYTIME DAY S £4.30". This wasn't what he asked for at all, and he didn't buy the ticket, but decided to buy at Cambridge instead.

is this a valid excess or have I got the rules wrong?`

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Over distance excesses are the full difference between the fares, so the excess should be (using your calculations) £6.40.

TP

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Ah. I was under the impression that for only half of a return it would be half the difference in price.

Status
Not open for further replies.