• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Excess fare on a Scotrail mobile ticket

smsm1

Is it possible to do an excess fare on a Scotrail mobile ticket? We were starting the return journey a few stations earl in the Glasgow area. I've asked at a ticket office and they said they had no idea how to do it but could if it was a paper ticket. The ticket staff said to check with the on the train staff, though we didn't see anyone for the two stops into Queen Street.

Is this a major limitation with mobile tickets?

With Scotrail I've found that they don't bother if you are doing Y or X shaped journeys where the end stations are similar with the cost being similar, though always aim to get the station furthest out. Hence why I want so worried about it.

Sometimes I wish there was a national all mode tap tap cap with automatic cross operator capping and auto calculating the best fare system. This need to keep to a single operator for all your journeys, or to know exactly when you are going and how your are getting there is such a pain. So often it would be nice to go oh I've missed this bus or train, there's another leaving on the other operator I'll take that and to not get penalised financially for it by having to pay again. Or turn up at a bus stop or train station and just go wherever there is a train going next for a day out rather than having to explicitly choose a destination.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fandroid

Established Member
Are you thinking of tickets on smartcards here?

I have had an excess added to an e-ticket by the simple measure of the excess being printed on paper at a ticket office

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There's no contractual or system limitation for issuing excesses based on the medium of the ticket. The internal industry guidance is clear on this and indeed even gives specific instructions for how to issue excesses for e-tickets and the like.

Suspect it's just a case of ticket office staff who haven't come across that scenario before and rather than looking it up, just shrugged their shoulders. Sadly this is an all too common experience.

smsm1

Are you thinking of tickets on smartcards here?
Could be smart card or like the Dutch or London any bank card.

I have had an excess added to an e-ticket by the simple measure of the excess being printed on paper at a ticket office
Interesting. I think they need a ticket number to use.

There's no contractual or system limitation for issuing excesses based on the medium of the ticket. The internal industry guidance is clear on this and indeed even gives specific instructions for how to issue excesses for e-tickets and the like.

Suspect it's just a case of ticket office staff who haven't come across that scenario before and rather than looking it up, just shrugged their shoulders. Sadly this is an all too common experience.
Oh this is interesting and useful. Scotrail are still on mtickets and haven't moved to etickets yet.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Interesting. I think they need a ticket number to use.

Oh this is interesting and useful. Scotrail are still on mtickets and haven't moved to etickets yet.
The instructions say use the UTN for the original ticket number and it's not interesting that they still use mTickets , there's no good reason and they should really swap them for the current standard eTicket.