• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Excess Fare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
Tomorrow (5th Oct) I am going to Telford. I have an off peak return Crowborough to Telford. I am returning on Friday. Ticket cost was £79.50. It’s valid via any permitted route and says see restrictions nre.co.UK/91. I am planning on getting the train which gets in to Telford at 12.00.

Due to a change of plan I know want to go to Wrexham, so stay on the same train. I plan to return from Wrexham to Telford tomorrow afternoon around 5pm. I will then travel back Telford to Crowborough on Friday as originally planned.

An off peak day return from Telford to Wrexham is £15.50. Is there a cheaper option by trying to buy an excess on the train?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
For some bizarre reason, Avanti charge a £27 premium for Crowborough - Wrexham compared to Crowborough - Telford.

As such, the £15.50 Day Return looks to be the best bet.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
Thanks. So what do you do? Look at the cost of the ticket you have as if you were going to the destination you want instead, and then deduct the price of the ticket you have?

Haywain

Veteran Member
For some bizarre reason, Avanti charge a £27 premium for Crowborough - Wrexham compared to Crowborough - Telford.
The Wrexham fare would be valid via Crewe and Chester, so a rather longer journey than Telford.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
The Wrexham fare would be valid via Crewe and Chester, so a rather longer journey than Telford.
Fair point. I'd completely forgotten that you could get to Wrexham via Chester as well...even though I did so myself earlier in the year. :oops:

sonic2009

Established Member
Personally with the right connections I would say going via Crewe would be quicker than via Telford for Wrexham.

Thanks. So what do you do? Look at the cost of the ticket you have as if you were going to the destination you want instead, and then deduct the price of the ticket you have?

Pretty much explained it yourself, there's a whole guide on excess tickets here, not sure how up to date it is though.

Status
Not open for further replies.