• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Excess when stopping short on an advance

Stargull

I’m currently on a train holding an advance single. I’d like to get off one stop earlier than planned. Am I right that the worst that can happen is an excess, presumably to the off peak single between the station I boarded and my new destination?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
That's the maximum penalty that could lawfully be applied - and even then, it would strictly speaking depend on whether you had been given adequate notice of the restriction on breaking your journey when buying your ticket for that to become an incorporated term.

Some TOCs, particularly Northern, seem to be in the habit of trying to issue Penalty Fares for starting late or finishing short but this is not legally permitted and any such Penalty Fare should be appealed (we can no doubt assist with this).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I’m currently on a train holding an advance single. I’d like to get off one stop earlier than planned. Am I right that the worst that can happen is an excess, presumably to the off peak single between the station I boarded and my new destination?
I've never known anyone be correctly charged by an inspector for this.

Most people get charged nothing; a small number get overcharged and have to fight to get the charge reduced to the correct amount.