• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Excessing a return portion (SOT-WVH-HSD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolf

Hi all (in particular yorkie, I imagine :p ), need a bit of clarifying over excessing a ticket...

Came back to uni yesterday, but rather than starting from Hamstead or New Street, ended up getting dropped off at Wolverhampton and got an Off-Peak Return to Stoke with my YP railcard at £9.45. When I go back home though, I'll need to get back to Hamstead (which costs £9.90 for an OPR).

Just need to confirm this is how it works:

Ask to get an over distance excess from Wolves - Hamstead? As its just the return portion I'm excessing, it will cost half of the difference between the two prices - £9.90 and £9.45 - so 27 or 28 pence? Although I'm not that fussed if its the whole 45p I have to pay - Just don't really want to have to get another ticket from Wolves - Hamstead which is £2.80.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Just need to confirm this is how it works:

Ask to get an over distance excess from Wolves - Hamstead? As its just the return portion I'm excessing, it will cost half of the difference between the two prices - £9.90 and £9.45 - so 27 or 28 pence? Although I'm not that fussed if its the whole 45p I have to pay - Just don't really want to have to get another ticket from Wolves - Hamstead which is £2.80.

Half the difference is correct for an over-distance excess, it should be £0.28 (assuming the fares you quote are correct, I've not checked).

island

Veteran Member
Are you sure, LexyBoy? I think there was a change in the excess rules last September so that it would be the full difference to change ticket type or go overdistance; half difference applies only to a route change.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Oh no, not this again!

It's a lottery, and no-one *really* knows.

I've sent the OP a PM, but really as long as he's charged an excess, it doesn't matter the exact calculation as it's a lot cheaper than buying a new ticket.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Are you sure, LexyBoy? I think there was a change in the excess rules last September so that it would be the full difference to change ticket type or go overdistance; half difference applies only to a route change.

I was wondering about that (I remembered something similar, but couldn't remember which excess types it was) - I was looking at the EC rules here, but they are from February 2010, so I think you're right.

As yorkie says though, it will depend on who is issuing the excess and in any case, it's much cheaper than a new ticket.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
As I too have posted many times before, the rules have now changed. When travelling over distance the rules officially say that the full difference in fare is charged, even if excessing in one direction only.

National Fares Manual "The Manual" said:
Over-riding (travelling beyond the destination on the ticket)

Return Tickets

a) Travel in one direction

Anytime / Anytime Day

Off-Peak / Off-Peak Day

Super Off-Peak / Super Off-Peak Day

Charge the difference between the fare paid and the appropriate Return fare for the throughout journey. If cheaper, charge the appropriate Single fare for the extra journey, but must comply with NCoC 19.

The reason you may still get charged half the difference in some cases is because a) some types of Ticket Issuing Machines haven't had their software updated to reflect this change, so still calculate half the difference or b) the staff member hasn't been briefed on the changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.