• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Exeter Airport bus service

Status
Not open for further replies.

paddington

I travelled from Exeter St Davids station to the airport by bus 56 and was charged a single fare of £2.50.

A few days later, returning to St Davids station the driver wanted £3.60, and couldn't explain why I had only paid £2.50 for the outbound journey.

Any ideas?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

takno

Established Member
£2.50 is right according to the website, and it's what I've always paid. Try emailing stagecoach and see what they say

Quakkerillo

I see I made a mistake with Exeter Bus station, but even when changing it to the railway station (by using its postal code), the price remains at £2.50. It only becomes more (£3.70) if you were to take a route where you'd have to change buses, but then you'd also have to pay twice. Not £3.60 in one go for a single continuous journey from what I've been able to see. There also seems to be no peak / off-peak according to the stagecoach website.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Almost no bus companies have peak/off peak, they tend to just up frequencies/vehicle sizes to demand instead. Much easier (i.e. cheaper) to do that with buses than trains.

TheWalrus

Established Member
I’m a regular driver of route 56 and can give you an explanation for this.

It’s because on certain journeys we go from st David’s to the airport as normal then to Woodbury and back to Exeter via clyst st george. Therefore the £3.60 fare reflects journey going from Exeter Airport to St David’s via Woodbury rather than direct. Why that fare is there I don’t know.

On our machines we have two fare stages for Exeter Airport going into the city, first one is £3.60 second one is £2.50. The drivers will need to move the fare stage on to the second one to issue the correct £2.50 fare to St David’s.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

It’s because on certain journeys we go from st David’s to the airport as normal then to Woodbury and back to Exeter via clyst st george. Therefore the £3.60 fare reflects journey going from Exeter Airport to St David’s via Woodbury rather than direct. Why that fare is there I don’t know.

On our machines we have two fare stages for Exeter Airport going into the city, first one is £3.60 second one is £2.50. The drivers will need to move the fare stage on to the second one to issue the correct £2.50 fare to St David’s.

I'm not clear whether you're saying the £3.60 charged was correct because you're going via the scenic, indirect route, or whether he should have been charged the £2.50 again. If it's the former, then Stagecoach seem to be adopting the illogical policy of so many railway companies seeking to charge the poor unsuspecting passenger more for a worse service.

TheWalrus

Established Member
should have been charged £2.50 especially as it was a Sunday when the 56 goes just between the Airport and St David’s.

PeterC

Established Member

So you are saying that the default route on the ticket machine is the "senic" one and the driver has to remember to change it to the direct route?

TheWalrus

Established Member
So you are saying that the default route on the ticket machine is the "senic" one and the driver has to remember to change it to the direct route?
I think so as I did it this morning and had to scroll to the correct Exeter Airport fare stage. Why the £3.60 fare is there I don’t know as the £2.50 single fare goes as far as woodbury, same as the day rider.

paddington

So if I am understanding this right, £3.60 is the correct fare for the "scenic" route.

If this is the case, then I suppose it's all fine, because I chose to take the scenic route St Davids - Woodbury - Airport on another occasion, and I only paid £2.50 for that. (I agree that if one was not expecting to go the scenic route then it would be a worse service especially if having to pay more.)

But Busaholic seems to be implying that the correct fare could possibly be two singles at £2.50 each?

TheWalrus

Established Member
So if I am understanding this right, £3.60 is the correct fare for the "scenic" route.

If this is the case, then I suppose it's all fine, because I chose to take the scenic route St Davids - Woodbury - Airport on another occasion, and I only paid £2.50 for that. (I agree that if one was not expecting to go the scenic route then it would be a worse service especially if having to pay more.)

But Busaholic seems to be implying that the correct fare could possibly be two singles at £2.50 each?
No should be £2.50 1 fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.