• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Exeter Rsde Yd - FL Contr flats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amlag

There was a 1018 Spl from Margam to Exeter Rsde Yd today 30/12/22 ( loco rtnd LD) that conveyed about 5 empty freight liner bogie flats
Are they for stabling/storage or where are they going and for what purpose ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Adrian Barr

There were 6 twinsets (2 FCA pairs, 1 FYA pair, 3 FIAs) on that 6V08 move with 66030 hauling. I suspect they were for temporary storage (might well return to traffic as and when required). The FCAs / FYAs were last used on either the Onllwyn - Mossend coal container workings (which no longer run) or the Hardendale - Margam containerised lime trains (which still run). The FIAs were from the set used on the short-lived Tilbury 2 - Trafford Park intermodal working which ceased running in August (that set was mainly formed of FIAs displaced from the Scunthorpe - Hayange channel tunnel steel trains).

The reason for moving them to Exeter was probably to clear siding space in the yards in South Wales. I seem to remember some HTAs being stored at Exeter, in fact I think they might still be there...

Amlag

There were 6 twinsets (2 FCA pairs, 1 FYA pair, 3 FIAs) on that 6V08 move with 66030 hauling. I suspect they were for temporary storage (might well return to traffic as and when required). The FCAs / FYAs were last used on either the Onllwyn - Mossend coal container workings (which no longer run) or the Hardendale - Margam containerised lime trains (which still run). The FIAs were from the set used on the short-lived Tilbury 2 - Trafford Park intermodal working which ceased running in August (that set was mainly formed of FIAs displaced from the Scunthorpe - Hayange channel tunnel steel trains).

The reason for moving them to Exeter was probably to clear siding space in the yards in South Wales. I seem to remember some HTAs being stored at Exeter, in fact I think they might still be there...
Thanks for those details.

Yes those approx 22 ety bogie coal hoppers HTAs are still in Exeter Rsde Yd ..hopefully to find work again when the new undersea coal mine off the Cumbrian coast near Workington at last opens.

Status
Not open for further replies.