• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Exeter St Davids Platform 2

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Just background work. I understand the old movements block has to be demolished brick by brick as English Heritage want the bricks. Also a heritage railway is believed to be having some of the interior fixtures and fittings. I think the station cleaners and WHS have yet to move out. The station power supply is also housed in the building the transformer for which is outside.
It will be interesting to see if Hyde Park siding will also be extended to the same length as P2?

devon_belle

It will be interesting to see if Hyde Park siding will also be extended to the same length as P2?
I'm interested to know this too. What trains can the siding currently accommodate? I rarely see anything in there.
Probably out of scope for a P0*...

*if they did do it, hopefully they'd renumber all of them to avoid (more) confusion.

chazi898

Just departed P2 on an Okehampton service - there is metal work fences in the area between the bufferstops and the station building; be interested to see how it looks when its done.

Xavi

I would expect the design to facilitate the option of a future Hyde Park platform, but would only be practical when relay-base interlocking is replaced.

Amlag

I have heard that the work has been suspended due to funding issues. Anyone else heard this?

not at all surprising …the main justification was for XC turn rounds which hardy ever now happen at Exeter since the Manchesters turn round at Bristol TM.

Xavi

I have heard that the work has been suspended due to funding issues. Anyone else heard this?
Scheduling of resources, and approval from Exeter City Council was only granted on 20th September. NB ECC needs to approve how the work will be delivered and the resulting facilities before work can start, though it's not planning permission as it's under permitted development.

Last edited:

Brush 4

Will the reopening of Cullompton and Wellington have any bearing on this?

RPI

Established Member
Devon CCs plan for the Devon Metro is that Barnstaple trains will extend to Axminster each hour providing a half-hourly service with SWR. There is already a daily service operated by GWR to Axminster in readiness for further expansion.
Sadly, the much needed extra services to Axminster won't happen until a new loop is added near Whimple, Honiton Loop extended and extra stock materialises from somewhere, though all parties seem to agree what's needed, there's still no funding.

dk1

Veteran Member
Sadly, the much needed extra services to Axminster won't happen until a new loop is added near Whimple, Honiton Loop extended and extra stock materialises from somewhere, though all parties seem to agree what's needed, there's still no funding.

What a pity. Let’s hope they all dig deep in 2024 and start the ball rolling.