• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Expensive Train Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCR247

Established Member
Hi

I have been looking on the NXEC booking system. I am travelling from NOT-Porstmouth and I want to travel via London, so I did NOT-STP & Waterloo-Portsmouth Harbour seperately. It was £23.80 for Waterloo to Portsmouth and £13.xx from NOT-STP. Then I put NOT-Portsmouth Hbr in and it was £21.xx!! Thats cheaper the London - Portsmouth! Why is this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I can't find a £23.80 ticket. Is this a return?

I'm assuming you have Railcard (as that's the closest match I can find) as it is £21.20 for the Any Permitted from London to Portsmouth Off Peak Return. This is a walk-on fare valid at off peak times.

A Nottingham-Portsmouth Off Peak Return ticket is £49.90 avoiding London and £67.30 via London - the latter being restricted only between Nottingham and London Terminals, it is unrestricted (valid on any train) between London and Portsmouth.

Nottingham to Portsmouth for approx £20ish is an advance purchase fare, and cannot be compared with walk-on fares.

Hope that helps. If you can provide more info we may be able to help further.

MCR247

Established Member
I can't find a £23.80 ticket. Is this a return?

I'm assuming you have Railcard (as that's the closest match I can find) as it is £21.20 for the Any Permitted from London to Portsmouth Off Peak Return. This is a walk-on fare valid at off peak times.

A Nottingham-Portsmouth Off Peak Return ticket is £49.90 avoiding London and £67.30 via London - the latter being restricted only between Nottingham and London Terminals, it is unrestricted (valid on any train) between London and Portsmouth.

Nottingham to Portsmouth for approx £20ish is an advance purchase fare, and cannot be compared with walk-on fares.

Hope that helps. If you can provide more info we may be able to help further.

Sorry, its 1 adult 1 child with a Family & Friends railcard on all of them. :oops: And singles

FusionRail

Splitting tickets can sometimes be more expensive, not sure why though!

I cant even find a ticket for 23.80 WAT - PMH. Are you using a Y-P Railcard?
Cheapest I found with a RC is £30 Advance for WAT - PMH.

Its roughly £25 for NOT-PMH via STP, or £15.85 with a RC.

Try blaming Faredodgers for expensive tickets!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
1A + 1C with a RC NOT - PMH is £20.40 Advance Single, £68.45 standard class single walk on fare.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Sorry, its 1 adult 1 child with a Family & Friends railcard on all of them. :oops: And singles
I see it now.

Have you bought any?

The price of London to Portsmouth can be reduced from £23-90 to £17-20 by going via Hassocks/Horsham on Southern, but the trains do take longer.

What time and what day of the week? A DaySave may be valid at the time you want to travel - this is £11 (£10 + £1 with no railcard discount available) http://www.southernrailway.com/buytickets/daysave/DaySave.php?sEvent=TicketDetails

MCR247

Established Member
I see it now.

Have you bought any?

The price of London to Portsmouth can be reduced from £23-90 to £17-20 by going via Hassocks/Horsham on Southern, but the trains do take longer.

What time and what day of the week? A DaySave may be valid at the time you want to travel - this is £11 (£10 + £1 with no railcard discount available) http://www.southernrailway.com/buytickets/daysave/DaySave.php?sEvent=TicketDetails

Booked it now-
Bought Nottingham-Porstmouth Harbour via London (travellling on 0602 from NOT to STP & 0900 SWT to Portsmouth Hbr for £21.90. 1 ADULT 1 CHILD WITH FAMILY RAILCARD. (£16.50 for adult, £4.75 child) Includes LU

Status
Not open for further replies.