• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Experience working for Virgin

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDiDdy

I currently work for virgin for the past eternity any help I can give I will..... I have some experience in the recruitment events and what they look for

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Just a question to the forum member who used to work in recruitment for Virgin.

I've recently looked at applying for one of their jobs but I've noted two things. The first being that there is no section on the application process to state who your references are? I do apologise in advance if I've overlooked this but I recently dipped a job application with Northern and I'm adamant I failed the paper sift because I hadn't declared details of my referees.

The second question is relating to travelling times between your home address and the rail station. Again Northern are quite strict about the fact they will not even consider you if you live more than an hour's drive from the location. Are Virgin strict about this type of thing or are they a bit more flexible?

C J

Stigy

Established Member
Just a question to the forum member who used to work in recruitment for Virgin.

I've recently looked at applying for one of their jobs but I've noted two things. The first being that there is no section on the application process to state who your references are? I do apologise in advance if I've overlooked this but I recently dipped a job application with Northern and I'm adamant I failed the paper sift because I hadn't declared details of my referees.

The second question is relating to travelling times between your home address and the rail station. Again Northern are quite strict about the fact they will not even consider you if you live more than an hour's drive from the location. Are Virgin strict about this type of thing or are they a bit more flexible?

C J
Have you called Northern and and asked them if this would be a factor? Admittedly they may not be able to give you a definitive answer, but they’re the best people to ask.

I've got a bit of advice if you get in do not post ANYTHING slightly controversial on social media, as they watch it like a hawk, do not trust anyone there, as there seems to be a bit of a backstabbing culture, its very much jobs for the boys (or girls) if you look at the amount of family/ friends of management there.

The best way to describe VT at the higher levels is like seeing the person of your dreams from a distance then finding out their breath stinks when you get close.

It isn't ALL bad, not by any stretch.

They pay well, lots of perks and time off, I loved my job there, the recruitment events are interesting, they seek character, flamboyance and outgoing people. If you can stand out and engage with the people there you'll be fine.

I passed assessment centre for a fixed term role and 5 weeks later passed another for permanent position.

Within 5 months I was interviewed for a Team Leader role which I didn't get, losing out to a guy with twenty years mroe experience which was the correct decision.

Within 18 months 2 TM roles came up and there were iover 200 applications internally, they reduced this to 16 at assessment then 8 for interviews which I made the cut down to 8. I didn't get either of the roles but it came out that two girls had been given the questions the day before and coached on answers.

Not long after this I was dismissed by Virgin for an outburst on Social Media against a guy who threatened to rape my wife and racially abused her while she worked ticket barriers at BHM for London Midland I used a word to describe him that I shouldnt have and was shown the door.

Last edited:

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Some good points about social media.

I came off Facebook years ago because I simply didn't want my current employer (who were the police) to picking up anything on my profile. Even if you have strict privacy settings, I believe some employers have ways to over ride these and view your updates. The police can interrogate Facebook profiles on missing people to try and find out about their whereabouts and I'm sure there is a social media team in each police force monitoring the activities of serving officers in case there are any comments made that may be classed as misconduct (anything racist for example!). I use WhatsApp and messenger just to contact friends and family with random messages and that's about it for me! Even using this forum, I keep comments appropriate and polite to other members.

As I've said in a previous post, I've applied for one of the Virgin posts on their careers website recently. I honestly don't know how far I'll get because I assume they will get a lot of takers 'in house' and as I'm an outsider I'm probably not going to evidence my skills in the same way as a current employee.

C J

Status
Not open for further replies.