• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Experiences of travelling on Greater Anglia FLIRT trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

centurian

So I've had a chance to ride on these new 745's a few times now. And the one thing I feared was far, far worse than my worst expectations. The seat comfort is atrocious. I'm trying not to be emotive or just throw words around, but it was utterly horrendous. I knew it wasn't going to be as comfortable as the Mk3s, but this was far worse than anything I imagined. It wasn't just the thickness of the padding, but the way the seat is oriented, it felt like there was no back support. After arriving at Norwich, I had back pain for hours after getting home. It's now so bad, that on Friday when I saw a 745 greeting me, I decided to wait for the next train. Better to be home 30 minutes late than be in pain, although this is only a temporary solution.

I realise everyone's experiences are different, and most reports I have seen have said that the comfort isn't brilliant, but acceptable. Unfortunately my experience is right at the worst end of the scale. I've been commuting from Norwich daily for 15 years, already looking at an exit plan.

It's a shame, because apart from that, they look fantastic. But at the end of the day, the only 2 things that really matter to me, are crash resilience and seat comfort.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

damian

I'm a stickler for seat comfort too. I haven't been on a 745 but did travel from Stanstead to Norwich on a 755 (which I assume has the same seats) and I don't think they are too bad (certainly not compared to other new trains I've been on). If they are making your back ache terribly then perhaps go and see someone (full disclosure I am an osteopath but work in London and have no skin in the game with any of the Norwich osteopaths assuming that's where you'd go). The new more upright and harder seats are less forgiving of postural assymetries than a more cushioned seat like the ones in the MK3 and so relatively minor back problems get magnified by them and a professional may be able to resolve that relatively easily for you and allow you to continue to travel by train without gross discomfort.

chubs

I think 99% of the feedback has been saying how great the seats are.

Not a huge fan of the mk3 seats myself.

Scottychoo

So I've had a chance to ride on these new 745's a few times now. And the one thing I feared was far, far worse than my worst expectations. The seat comfort is atrocious. I'm trying not to be emotive or just throw words around, but it was utterly horrendous. I knew it wasn't going to be as comfortable as the Mk3s, but this was far worse than anything I imagined. It wasn't just the thickness of the padding, but the way the seat is oriented, it felt like there was no back support. After arriving at Norwich, I had back pain for hours after getting home. It's now so bad, that on Friday when I saw a 745 greeting me, I decided to wait for the next train. Better to be home 30 minutes late than be in pain, although this is only a temporary solution.
As you seem the only person who finds the seats an issue I would suggest yours is a back problem rather than a seat problem?

F Great Eastern

Established Member
As you seem the only person who finds the seats an issue I would suggest yours is a back problem rather than a seat problem?

Believe me, he's not the only person, but my gripes are with the density of the seats, the ducting, cantilever and the pitch/niche rather than the comfort of the cushion and back.

damian

It can be a bit of both. Seats which are uncomfortable for a significant number of people are not good design, even if the majority of people find them perfectly reasonably comfortable. These have more padding and a less extreme pitch than the seats in the IEPs and god forbid the Thameslink 700s. The seats in the 700 are very bad design, full stop, the IEP seats are barely fit for purpose considering the length of journey they are designed for.

Lots and lots of people have scoliosis (side to side curves or twists) either because that is how their skeleton has developed or just because they have an unresolved relatively minor injury, even more people have increased kyphosis (that's the forward curve at the top of the back) again that can just be how they are but the elderly sometimes osteoporosis which causes crush fractures in the vertebrae and leads to wedge shaped vertebrae. It seems amazing to me that a key driver for the new trains is to make them accessible for people of restricted mobility and yet at the same time, so many become super uncomfortable for people with minor back issues

centurian

That's what surprised me. I had set my expectations according to the reviews, but my experience was far worse.

I've never had any back pain before, but I appreciate that doesn't mean I have an issue.

But I can assure you I'm not the only person. In my last journey, everyone in my section of the coach had similar comments (it was a quiet evening train). Two ladies going as far as Ipswich took off their coats and scrunched them up into cushions to support their backs - I took their lead and did the same. Another gentleman was on the phone briefly saying that he wanted to get some sleep, but there was "no chance of that on these planks" :D

Kite159

Veteran Member
I did notice yesterday at Cambridge a Norwich - Stansted service rolled in and it took a good few minutes for the passenger changeover due to the limited number of doors.

Although all the 755s I saw yesterday between Cambridge & Stansted were running on diesel rather than electric

Carlgoss

Speaking as a 'large' chap myself, I can say seeing other 'large' chaps sitting on the new First Class seats looks quite funny/uncomfortable.. very sit up and beg. Also although I prefer the softness of the MK3 seats, I imagine the 745's will soften up with time. Legroom is more my issue, with the very hot heating duct and seat brace support forcing your legs off towards the aisle way. One thing I do find odd is seeing people sitting on the fold down seats.. these feel to me like 'only just' intercity trains, but then LST to NRW is a shortish Intercity route of course. Apart from all that and a few minor niggles, including the overly small sink in the toilet that splashes water on the floor of the toilet, the extra rumbles and bumps you get from low floor trains, I reckon these new 745's are pretty great. They look the part, accelerate brilliantly.. and are really positively affecting reliability with just two 745 diagrams in place so far. I believe another two are close to being added. The 745's seem to regularly arrive at stations well ahead of timetable, and hopefully we'll see some of this reflected in timetable changes over the next couple of years.

Tazi Hupefi

No idea what class of train I'm on, but it's from Norwich and its brand new.

And all I can say is - it's disgraceful that in this day and age, a train can be purposely designed to be so uncomfortable and uninviting.

First Class seats don't recline, majority of windows are at least partially obstructed by thick emergency exit hinges or electronic displays. Sitting next to the toilet you hear the sloshing around of God knows what, as well as not having a view from that side of the coach. When someone actually uses the toilet you can hear everything, (seat B30/31).

Seats force you into a very uncomfortable posture, totally unsuitable for actually using a laptop etc without hunching over / leaning forwards.

Totally retrograde.

chubs

And all I can say is - it's disgraceful that in this day and age, a train can be purposely designed to be so uncomfortable and uninviting.

First Class seats don't recline, majority of windows are at least partially obstructed by thick emergency exit hinges or electronic displays. Sitting next to the toilet you hear the sloshing around of God knows what, as well as not having a view from that side of the coach. When someone actually uses the toilet you can hear everything, (seat B30/31).

Seats force you into a very uncomfortable posture, totally unsuitable for actually using a laptop etc without hunching over / leaning forwards.

Totally retrograde.

Couldn't disagree more. I've spent over 2 hours in them at a time and they are some of the most comfortable seats on the railway. FAR superior to the mk3 ones. Great posture and no aches and pains at the end at all.

The carriage interior is incredible too. So big and bright and airy.

samuelmorris

Established Member

Totally retrograde.
Everyone's entitled to their opinion and seating is particularly subjective, but to clarify, your complaint is that the seats don't recline, yet still require you to lean forward to use a laptop? I'm not sure I understand.

lord rathmore

Couldn't disagree more. I've spent over 2 hours in them at a time and they are some of the most comfortable seats on the railway. FAR superior to the mk3 ones. Great posture and no aches and pains at the end at all.

The carriage interior is incredible too. So big and bright and airy.
I totally agree. These are comfortable, quiet modern trains and are a step up from those they are replacing

Peter Sarf

Established Member

Totally retrograde.

I wonder, was it a 745 or a 321. What class of train do you usually travel in ?.

dk1

Veteran Member

Totally retrograde.
You are very much in the minority on this but everyone is of course entitled to an opinion.

dk1

Veteran Member
I wonder, was it a 745 or a 321. What class of train do you usually travel in ?.
It was stated as 'brand new' so must be a 745/755. Surely nobody of any intelligence could confuse it even with a Renatus 321? Hang on though, even some of the seasoned commuters have had difficulty with such simplistic things :o

chubs

I did wonder if they meant a 321 as well, but nobody could mistake them for new.

Status
Not open for further replies.