• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Experiences of travelling on TPE Class 397 ('Nova 2') trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

ld0595

Took my first 397 last week form Piccadilly to Glasgow. Definitely a welcome upgrade from 350s - I liked the large tables and windows and wasn't too fussed about the seats. However, I'd definitely agree with those who said the ride was very fidgety. It was quite surprising and even my partner commented on it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railperf

Established Member
Took my first 397 last week form Piccadilly to Glasgow. Definitely a welcome upgrade from 350s - I liked the large tables and windows and wasn't too fussed about the seats. However, I'd definitely agree with those who said the ride was very fidgety. It was quite surprising and even my partner commented on it.
The ride is worse at 90mph than an Azuma at 125mph

sjm77

I had my first ride on a 397 the other day, from Manchester to Edinburgh. The seat/window alignment is excellent as is table provision in standard class. However the ride quality is nothing short of an abomination.
Has any progress been made on allowing the 397 to run above 110mph?

kermit

Just had my first ride on one of these, from Edinburgh to Manchester. Sorry to say I was profoundly unimpressed. Seats in second class far too hard for lengthy intercity journeys. The ride was poor - the bogie beneath me in coach C clanked and knocked like a bucket of large, heavy bolts, to the point of being alarming. I'm not nervous, but a newbie passenger could easily be put off. I've seen posts deriding those who say the mk3 was the high water mark in coach design, but honestly, other than the brake smell, they were so much better than this thing.

The return leg of this journey was interesting for the contrast in ride that I experienced. This time, I was two seat rows back from the very front of the train, and no clanking or knocking was evident at all. Made a huge difference!

Rick1984

Had first trip on one about month ago very nice ambience in side. Plenty of tables which is good in covid. Little bit rattly and ride not the best but that seems norm with new trains

Whistler40145

Established Member
Had first trip on one about month ago very nice ambience in side. Plenty of tables which is good in covid. Little bit rattly and ride not the best but that seems norm with new trains
Definitely an improvement from Class 185s and Class 350/4s

BogiePicker

Just thought the last time I made a journey on a Class 350/4 from Preston to Edinburgh and was the most cramped and uncomfortable journey I've ever made
Hm. One of the best and smoothest journeys I've had was a WCML connecting service to Birmingham New Street, also on a 350. The interior was a bit worn and tatty and there was a mildly sweaty pong in some parts of the train, but once seated, the ride was calm and smooth. I was surpised both by how refined the train was for an EMU and by its performance, even having known beforehand of its reputation as the 'sports train.' At 110 mph you could truly feel its speed, whizzing through the countryside.

ScotTrains

I travelled on one from Glasgow to Manchester pre Covid in 1st class. Train left at dinner time on a weekday yet all we received was one muffin and two coffees for the whole journey! Totally unacceptable. We were the only ones in 1st class for the whole journey and I can now see why.
We sat at a table for two facing each other yet the seat alignment was poor with a pillar beside me blocking the view. It was dark so didn't bother moving but why can't designers put the table at the window with seats at the pillar, like in any other BR designed coach.
Will stick with Avanti in future when going 1st class!

BogiePicker

I travelled on one from Glasgow to Manchester pre Covid in 1st class. Train left at dinner time on a weekday yet all we received was one muffin and two coffees for the whole journey! Totally unacceptable. We were the only ones in 1st class for the whole journey and I can now see why.
We sat at a table for two facing each other yet the seat alignment was poor with a pillar beside me blocking the view. It was dark so didn't bother moving but why can't designers put the table at the window with seats at the pillar, like in any other BR designed coach.
I haven't tried the 397, but what CAF products I have done (195, 331, MK5a) only evince to me that their trains are the worst for window to seat alignment.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I haven't tried the 397, but what CAF products I have done (195, 331, MK5a) only evince to me that their trains are the worst for window to seat alignment.

397s have full window alignment in Standard, which does mean it isn't aligned in 1st due to the unwillingness to pay for different window layouts in each. MK5as are aligned in 1st only. 195/331 are just lazy.

greyman42

Established Member
I travelled from Carlisle to Manchester on a 397. When travelling at high speed the ride was rough and various parts of the carriage rattled.

route101

Established Member

I'm sure TPE used to offer sandwiches on Scottish services, in first.

Status
Not open for further replies.