• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Experiences on Orihuela to Mercia trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning on going over to Spain to visit my parents this year.

They’ve spoken about it wanting to get the train from where they live to Mercia. They live in Orihuela.

Is it just a cause of saying to the ticket office staff “un bonito a Murcia por favor”, buying a ticket and off we go? Has anyone travelled on this line before and can offer more advice/experiences?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stuu

Established Member

They’ve spoken about it wanting to get the train from where they live to Mercia. They live in Orihuela.

Is it just a cause of saying to the ticket office staff “un bonito a Murcia por favor”, buying a ticket and off we go? Has anyone travelled on this line before and can offer more advice/experiences?
Not been there, but the main service is the suburban/local line between Alacant and Murcia. So a ticket for that train is that simple, either from the office or a machine. However, there are a few long distance and high speed trains making that journey which would not be valid using a suburban ticket. Also Murcia station is being put underground so there are fewer trains running, but still enough to not be too awkward.

And you probably want to say "tres boletos"

Last edited:
The works at Murcia have been completed now, with high-speed standard gauge services to and from Madrid running into the underground platforms. There is also an 'Avant' high-speed service Murcia - Alicante , calling at Oriheula, for which a reservation is required. Broad gauge suburban services Murcia - Alicante continue to run - simply buy a ticket on the day at the booking office or from the machine.

stuu

Established Member
The works at Murcia have been completed now, with high-speed standard gauge services to and from Madrid running into the underground platforms. T
They haven't. There is an interim station with a single platform for standard gauge services, but the bulk of the station is still under construction. I'm not pointing this out purely to be argumentative, it may well be that services are interrupted on the broad gauge lines when they are moved underground

Last edited:

Scouse77

On Moderation

Firstly why would you ask for a beautiful to Murcia?

Secondly. The Iberian guage line is walk up to buy and really cheap. If you're planning to do it on a regular basis you can actually get unlimited trips for an admin fee of 20€ - this is refunded if you make 16 journeys within three months. I used to live right next to this line and used it regularly. Enjoy your ride on the camels (class 592).

That free ticket offer is great, you nominate your route and away you guy all via the RENFE app. Just this week I travelled from Elda to Ciudad Real and return on mine. It's 3:20 journey so great value at free.

P Binnersley

You can get the timetable for the local (Cercanias) trains here. There are gaps of 100 minutes so you need to plan ahead rather than turn up and go.
high speed AVANT trains fill in some of the gaps.

The Cercanias fare (2 Area/Zone) is €2.00 single, €2.80 return.
The AVANT fare is currently €3.05 for tomorrow, but this capacity controlled and can increase.

AVANT tickets are train specific. Cercanias tickets are not valid on AVANT services &vv.

P Binnersley

They haven't. There is an interim station with a single platform for standard gauge services, but the bulk of the station is still under construction. I'm not pointing this out purely to be argumentative, it may well be that services are interrupted on the broad gauge lines when they are moved underground
I've just get back from Murcia, the station is still very much a building site.

There are two standard gauge underground Alta Velocidad platforms (2 & 4). Iberian gauge Cercanias & Medio Distanata trains to Alicante & Cartagena are from ground level Iberian gauge platforms 5,7,9,11, & 13 accessed by a footbridge over the building works. Rail replacement bus were operating the Cercanias service west towards Aguilas.

Ticket machines and the booking office are in the old station building. Access to both sets of platforms is immediately to the left of the old station building.

Cercanias tickets are issued on a re-usable "Renfe&Tu" cards. These can be issued at machines or booking offices and cost €0.50 which is added to the fare.

Thank you for the advice everyone.

I have purchased tickets via the Renfe website and they've come as e-tickets with barcodes on. I'm assuming we can just get on the train with these and don't have to collect anything at the train station?

Veteran Member
Thank you for the advice everyone.

I have purchased tickets via the Renfe website and they've come as e-tickets with barcodes on. I'm assuming we can just get on the train with these and don't have to collect anything at the train station?
Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.