• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Expired GTR Key Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

johncrossley

Established Member
I just tried to tap in at Brighton with my Key Card, to use KeyGo, but the gate said "seek assistance". I tried that on multiple gates with the same error. So I queried my ITSO products using the ITSO reader on the ticket machine and it said "Sorry, your card has expired". So I just bought a paper ticket from the machine.

Has the card really expired or is there a technical problem?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

L401CJF

Established Member
Obviously I can't comment on technical issues or the key card specifically, but similarly around 5 years after Merseytravel introduced their Walrus ITSO cards, the cards themselves started to expire completely blocking any valid products on them!

johncrossley

Established Member
I checked with the ticket office at Victoria and they said it has expired as well. There is no expiry date written on the card and I did not get any notification about the expiry.

E759

Key Smartcard expiry date is shown in your Key Smartcard account. Worth checking it and putting a note in your calendar!

johncrossley

Established Member
Key Smartcard expiry date is shown in your Key Smartcard account. Worth checking it and putting a note in your calendar!
On my account it says "application submitted". I didn't apply for a new card. In any case, I would have expected them to send me a replacement before expiration automatically as I have an ongoing KeyGo account.

Haywain

Veteran Member
You can use the National Rail Smartcard app or the E-Cebs Smart Ticket Checker app to read the card and view the expiry date set on it.

johncrossley

Established Member
You can use the National Rail Smartcard app or the E-Cebs Smart Ticket Checker app to read the card and view the expiry date set on it.
Thanks :) It says valid from 31 July 2014 to 4 June 2023. So it is definitely expired, but surely there should have been a new card sent out automatically?

Haywain

Veteran Member
Thanks :) It says valid from 31 July 2014 to 4 June 2023. So it is definitely expired, but surely there should have been a new card sent out automatically?
I guessed it must be a fairly old card! You must have been an 'early adopter'. I'm not sure if they would have a process for sending a new card automatically, but I doubt the volume of cases is very high at all at the moment. I think you had best apply for a replacement.

E759

Poking around in the NR app it seems the start and expiry dates relate to the virtual KeyGo ticket held on the card. In my GTR account I see two virtual KeyGo tickets, one Loaded on card and the other Blocked.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Poking around in the NR app it seems the start and expiry dates relate to the virtual KeyGo ticket held on the card. In my GTR account I see two virtual KeyGo tickets, one Loaded on card and the other Blocked.
That may be the case but smartcards do have an expiry date set. I have quite a few of them which have never held tickets and all show an expiry date. For my KeyGo card the expiry date on the card is the same as that shown when I log into my account and go to the "The Key Smartcard" page from the dropdown menu.

Buzby

I’ve just checked my ScotRail card on a reader and it confirmed the same expiry date shown on my website page - 01/06/2037. 14 years seems a pretty long expiry period, but on checking my Scotia/NEC card it states ‘No expiry date’ which kinda trumps it all!

johncrossley

Established Member
Southern have only just sent me an email today saying that the will send me a card that will arrive within 7 days, despite being told that the card will arrive within 5 days when I called up about the problem.

What if I had just passed through the barrier assuming that there is a system malfunction? The barrier staff were going to let me through on that basis, which seemed fair enough, but I was cautious so I bought a ticket just to be safe. Suppose I had done the 'logical thing' and assumed system failure? Would I be facing prosecution right now?

I'm still waiting for the card despite it being originally ordered on the 24th June. However, I just remembered that I have a Chiltern smartcard that I haven't used before. How do I add KeyGo to that?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.