• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Expired railcard

msc2001

Hi all, I have messed up with an expired railcard and am now worried having read this forum.

I purchased a physical ticket from a machine last week with a 26-30 discount. This was travelling from Bedford to London on thameslink

Inspector in the train asked to see railcard which I couldnt do due to not having phone with me.

I have since discovered railcard has expired a couple months back and I can therefore not comply with request to submit proof as requested by the ticket they issued me.

Should I contact them proactively or wait for the letter?

thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brissle Girl

Established Member
You need to wait to hear from them.

GTR is pretty pragmatic, but you are likely to have to pay for a new full price ticket, together with an admin fee of around £150 (maybe slightly less as GTR tends to be slightly kinder for straightforward offences).

Provided you engage in a cooperative manner when they write to you then you should avoid a prosecution, but I would advise you to ensure that if you reply by post that you send it “signed for” to ensure you have proof of delivery. (If you reply by email it’s obviously not an issue.)

msc2001

Thank you for you reply.

Given the railcard was a couple months expired and I travelled a few times in that period will they trace that if I had a physical ticket? And will they be able to find out when I last had a valid railcard?

This was the first time I had been checked in that time hence not knowing the card had expired...

jfollows

Established Member
Given the railcard was a couple months expired and I travelled a few times in that period will they trace that if I had a physical ticket? And will they be able to find out when I last had a valid railcard?
What sort of tickets did you buy during the period and how did you buy them?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Welcome to the forum!

GTR will write to you in the next few weeks saying they have received a report, threatening to prosecute but giving you the opportunity to give your version of events before deciding how to proceed. GTR normally offer an out of court settlement to people who co-operate which will probably cost around £150 plus the outstanding fare.

Post up a copy of the letter in this thread, when it arrives (but do redact any personal details before doing so), along with your draft reply and we will be happy to proof read it for you.

I doubt GTR will research your ticket purchasing history if you've purchased your tickets through a ticket machine.

msc2001

Welcome to the forum!

GTR will write to you in the next few weeks saying they have received a report, threatening to prosecute but giving you the opportunity to give your version of events before deciding how to proceed. GTR normally offer an out of court settlement to people who co-operate which will probably cost around £150 plus the outstanding fare.

Post up a copy of the letter in this thread, when it arrives (but do redact any personal details before doing so), along with your draft reply and we will be happy to proof read it for you.

I doubt GTR will research your ticket purchasing history if you've purchased your tickets through a ticket machine.
Thank you for your steer, I shall await the letter and come back then

rsharma45

Hey! Did you receive your letter yet? Curious as I am in a similar position and want to know how long I will have to wait

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Hey! Did you receive your letter yet? Curious as I am in a similar position and want to know how long I will have to wait

Forum Rules: 1 thread per person. Everyone's case is different. Please start your own thread with details of your own situation for the best help.