• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Explore Wales Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdale1

Could anyone please advise if I could travel from Wolverhampton too Shrewsbury using the Transport for Wales train onlyThe validity map on the Rail Rover site seems to allow it but the explore Wales map doesn't. Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bspahh

Established Member
Could anyone please advise if I could travel from Wolverhampton too Shrewsbury using the Transport for Wales train onlyThe validity map on the Rail Rover site seems to allow it but the explore Wales map doesn't. Thanks in advance
This map at http://www.railrover.org/pages/explore-wales-pass.html doesn't show Wolverhampton.

The National Rail map suggests that the Explore Wales ticket can only be used from Shrewsbury, which agrees with the statement at https://tfw.wales/ways-to-travel/rail/ticket-types/rovers-and-rangers/explore-wales which says
  • All stations in Wales plus extensions into England bounded by Shotton - Crewe - Abergavenny and Chepstow - Gloucester

gdale1

When you download the validity map from the Rail & Rover web site, it shows the line from Birmingham International through Wolverhampton and on to Shrewsbury.
Admittedly it's a different colour to the main part of Wales but I thought this was that you could only use Transport for Wales trains.

Veteran Member
When you download the validity map from the Rail & Rover web site, it shows the line from Birmingham International through Wolverhampton and on to Shrewsbury.
Admittedly it's a different colour to the main part of Wales but I thought this was that you could only use Transport for Wales trains.
Could you provide a link, please, as Google doesn't know of this site, only the ones mentioned by bspahh. The description reminds me of maps for the onetime Club55 offer, hence my question.

VideozVideoz

I’ve had one of these passes before and I’m sure it’s only valid as far as Shrewsbury

EDIT: Just had a goosey gander and it’s the area in white where the pass is valid, so Wolves is out

Attachments

• CB689456-9A04-423B-A105-722F40D9D1B5.jpeg
    CB689456-9A04-423B-A105-722F40D9D1B5.jpeg
    371.9 KB · Views: 80

gdale1

Thanks for the replies, though I can't see where it states only areas in white are valid, I think that's why I'm confused

VideozVideoz

Thanks for the replies, though I can't see where it states only areas in white are valid, I think that's why I'm confused
It says “Available here” in the white section, me old cocker. Also the fact they there are two shades (with one more than coincidentally defining your intended target area) sort of explains it

gdale1

I don't dispute for one minute you are right, I just think it could be made a lot clearer.

gdale1

Totally agree, it’s not clear! You can always chance it getting on at Wolves unless there are barriers?

Could you provide a link, please, as Google doesn't know of this site, only the ones mentioned by bspahh. The description reminds me of maps for the onetime Club55 offer, hence my question.
VideozVideoz has kindly provided the map earlier. I still don't see the need to provide details of the route from Birmingham International through I'm aware this is part of the Transport for Wales network hence why I thought it might be included as long as you only uses their trains

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Totally agree, it’s not clear! You can always chance it getting on at Wolves unless there are barriers?
There are now barriers at Wolverhampton. In any case, it is not a very good idea to chance it, knowing that the ticket is invalid.

Haywain

Veteran Member
If the ticket was valid on all TfW services the map would surely also show Crewe to Manchester.

Typhoon

Established Member
VideozVideoz has kindly provided the map earlier. I still don't see the need to provide details of the route from Birmingham International through I'm aware this is part of the Transport for Wales network hence why I thought it might be included as long as you only uses their trains
Surely that is the point? They have shown the whole Transport for Wales network and they have highlighted the section where the Rover ticket is valid.

Similar maps often show stops outside of a zone in a similar way (although often in a duller colour) to this so that potential users can get their bearings.

Djgr

Established Member
Surely the clue is in the name of the ticket. If you want to explore Wales how would Wolverhampton feature?

VideozVideoz

There are now barriers at Wolverhampton. In any case, it is not a very good idea to chance it, knowing that the ticket is invalid.
Well you can claim that map is not clear and he thought the whole map covered the valid area

Surely the clue is in the name of the ticket. If you want to explore Wales how would Wolverhampton feature?
You could say the same for Shrewsbury… that is included and is in Shropshire

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Well you can claim that map is not clear and he thought the whole map covered the valid area
"I thought my ticket was valid" isn't going to be a valid defence against a Byelaw 18 prosecution, or a ground of appeal against a Penalty Fare that's likely to meet with much success.

As I say, I really wouldn't recommend just trying it on. It is pretty clear what the validity is here, you have to be playing silly buggers to pretend otherwise.

gdale1

If the ticket was valid on all TfW services the map would surely also show Crewe to Manchester.
It does

It's served with Transport for Wales trains, I live there and it would be very handy for me.

VideozVideoz

"I thought my ticket was valid" isn't going to be a valid defence against a Byelaw 18 prosecution, or a ground of appeal against a Penalty Fare that's likely to meet with much success.

As I say, I really wouldn't recommend just trying it on. It is pretty clear what the validity is here, you have to be playing silly buggers to pretend otherwise.
Well I’m not going to argue, but if the validity was clear then I don’t think the OP would be asking in the first place. I know it’s not valid from Wolves cuz I’ve used it before but the resources online aren’t that clear (even though you think they are). The boundary does not state SHREWSBURY and the map wasn’t immediately clear in how it’s been presented

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Well I’m not going to argue, but if the validity was clear then I don’t think the OP would be asking in the first place. I know it’s not valid from Wolves cuz I’ve used it before but the resources online aren’t that clear (even though you think they are). The boundary does not state SHREWSBURY and the map wasn’t immediately clear in how it’s been presented
Let's say you didn't know where the ticket was valid so you googled "Explore Wales rover". One of the first results is NRE, which has a link to a map which clearly indicates that the validity doesn't include anywhere east of Shrewsbury on the line towards Wolverhampton:

Screenshot_20220605-110006.png

So I fail to see how that is ambiguous? And in any case, the OP has their answer now, so it is hardly very helpful to them to suggest feigning ignorance and trying it on. With respect, that is how people end up having to post in the D&P section!

gdale1

It's served with Transport for Wales trains, I live there and it would be very handy for me.

Just to add a little more confusion, why does it state limited service on the right of the map from Birmingham to Crewe. There are frequent trains on this route unless they are referring to Transport for Wales trains which I'm not aware of.

Last edited:

VideozVideoz

Let's say you didn't know where the ticket was valid so you googled "Explore Wales rover". One of the first results is NRE, which has a link to a map which clearly indicates that the validity doesn't include anywhere east of Shrewsbury on the line towards Wolverhampton:

View attachment 115687

So I fail to see how that is ambiguous? And in any case, the OP has their answer now, so it is hardly very helpful to them to suggest feigning ignorance and trying it on. With respect, that is how people end up having to post in the D&P section!
Well it’s valid to Crewe and the map shows otherwise so how do you explain that? So you saying you fail to see how that is ambiguous puts paid to that… I was the one saying in the first place it’s not valid to Wolves but there are ambiguities despite you thinking there aren’t. Plus I explained that Shrewsbury is not specifically mentioned as a boundary in the bullet points for the ticket, so even more ambiguity

Status
Not open for further replies.