• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Exploring Manchester area

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthDevonian

I’m planning a day trip one Saturday soon from Cheltenham to the Manchester / Blackburn area to explore some lines that I haven’t been over or not been over for many years. The TfGM Wayfarer ticket seems to allow me to cover many of the north west lines that I’m interested in. Can that be bought through the Trainline website?

As the Wayfarer covers south to Macclesfield, is it valid on XC trains between there and Piccadilly? If it does, then I can get a cheaper return from Cheltenham to there instead.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

In addition to the info on railrover (a cracking site, btw), some of the newer Northern ticket machines sell them. You've got to be in the ticket area and type Wayfarer as destination. This facility does tend to come and go with each update to the machines though.

SouthDevonian

Thanks for the speedy replies. Much appreciated. Looks like I'll have to get a ticket to Manchester on the outward journey but can get one from Macc on the way back after buying the Wayfarer.

The_Train

Established Member
Thanks for the speedy replies. Much appreciated. Looks like I'll have to get a ticket to Manchester on the outward journey but can get one from Macc on the way back after buying the Wayfarer.

You can buy a return from Cheltenham to Macclesfield and buy your Wayfarer at the same time at Cheltenham. Obviously this is subject to your train from Cheltenham to Manchester departing Macclesfield after 0930 as this is when the Wayfarer becomes valid

NorthWestRover

Established Member
Valid all day on a Saturday.

The Wayfarer area of validity is great. Which lines are you looking to do?

The_Train

Established Member
You can buy a return from Cheltenham to Macclesfield and buy your Wayfarer at the same time at Cheltenham. Obviously this is subject to your train from Cheltenham to Manchester departing Macclesfield after 0930 as this is when the Wayfarer becomes valid

Valid all day on a Saturday.

The Wayfarer area of validity is great. Which lines are you looking to do?

Apologies, @NorthWestRover is indeed correct that there are no restrictions on a Saturday. So a return to Macc accompanied with the Wayfarer (both purchased at Cheltenham) will definitely suffice

Kite159

Veteran Member
Have a good trip in the GM Wayfarer area, it certainly covers a wide area for the price. Including bus & tram travel as well

SouthDevonian

I mainly want to catch up on the new bits since I left Lancashire in 1982, ie. Manchester Airport spurs; Ordsall curve; Salford Crescent link; Bolton to Wigan NW; Todmorden curve. It will be nice to see again Bolton – Darwin – Blackburn and Blackburn – Copy Pit.

The last time I went over the latter was on railtours in the 1970s / early 1980s behind pairs of 25s or 40s or 47s. For example, 1978 LCGB weekend tour from Crewe to Thurso via Man Vic, Darwen, Leeds, S&C (47 to Inverness) with return from Wick via Edinburgh, Carlisle, Newcastle, Leamside, Selby, Leeds (swapped 47 for 40), Darwen & Man Vic – all for £10 or £11.

NorthWestRover

Established Member
LCGB - that's a blast from the past!

Ordsall Curve is cool for someone who spent a lot of his youth flitting around Manchester and now can do that quick leap from Picc to Vic. The whole Castlefield corridor is so busy.. Weird to see overhead wires in some very strange places.

Status
Not open for further replies.