• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Exploring the Highlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tubeboy

After many years dreaming about it , I have finally taken the plunge and will soon fulfil my ambition of travelling the lines to Wick/Thurso/Kyle and Aberdeen from Inverness. I will be travelling mid April. I have purchased the Highland Rover ticket. I will reach Inverness via the Highland Chieftain.

I will be travelling alone. I will be staying at a hotel in Central Inverness.

Any tips, be it eateries as well as recommendations to see places at these extremities? Probably have no more than a couple of hours max in each of these places. Will the trains be busy on these lines mid April? Certainly not high season! Do the 158s have declassified 1st class sections?

I also intend to travel on a couple of heritage railways, the Strathspey as well as the Keith and Dufftown.

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

High Dyke

Established Member
Last edited:

Tubeboy

Yes Telstar, I must admit it might be a mission doing the Strathspey and Keith in one day, I had intended for a while for day 4 to be a trip on the bus link to Fort William and do the Mallaig extension.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Day 1 will be Inverness-Kyle.

Day 2 is Inverness-Edinburgh, via Aberdeen. Have got a separate ticket for Aberdeen to Edinburgh. Will be travelling on a EC 125 set.

Day 3 is Inverness to Thurso and Wick.

Day 4 most likely coach to Fort William, then a trip to Mallaig.

Last edited:

Tubeboy

Sounds good Vox! I will be staying at the Premier inn, so will avail meself of their meal deals for a couple of days, but might well take up your recommendation!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
There was good value food everywhere the last time we were in Inverness a couple of years ago. Most restaurants seemed to be having cheap deals at lunch time and early evening, and the curry houses all seemed to be almost ridiculously cheap! There's a Jimmy Chung's Chinese buffet as well, if you prefer.

Still, you may not be back from your travels before 7pm, when the early evening deals come to an end!

If you can fit in a proper breakfast, the cafe by the bus station is good.

Haydn1971

Established Member
Lots of places near stations in my experience of road tripping in the highlands, I'd recommend doing a google maps search for "pubs rooms" and get staying local - what's the worst that can happen ?

A few decent pubs with rooms in Plockton, Inn at Glenuig is a short walk from the Malaig line, Invershin Inn, loads of choice in Thurso and Wick, get a bus onto Skye - but please don't stay in Fort William or Inverness - you will be left disappointed with your highland experience.

Tubeboy

No I will be staying in Inverness, it's easy to track bash all these lines from there.

Anything in Kyle, apart from transport museum and shop in the station? Anything in Wick?

Requeststop

When I overnighted in Wick, admittedly some time back, I stayed at the Norseman Hotel. I found it quite comfortable, and the food to be ample, tasty and of a good quality. There is the Caithness Glass Factory and Outlet if that is of interest to you.

In Thurso, I had a great lunch at the Commercial Hotel. The staff were also very friendly.

Last month I was in Mallaig, I ate at the Cornerstone. It was quite popular as a restaurant and a takeaway with some of the locals. The place that was recommended "the Cabin" was closed until the summer season.

Just further word, check for engineering work on the lines. I tried to use my rover to get to Kyle, and only got to Strathcarron. It's a long way to travel and not be able to complete a line.

Last edited:

Cab2Cab

No I will be staying in Inverness, it's easy to track bash all these lines from there.

Anything in Kyle, apart from transport museum and shop in the station? Anything in Wick?

Hi,

I did the same trip as you on a rover back in 2005, stayed at Inverness (only in BnB tho).

Inverness is a nice place, kyle ok, not alot a Wick tho, i went for the train journeys and to check out the views and wildlife. I was very lucky with the weather the sun was shining everyday. :D

From Inverness i caught the bus to Fort William via Loch Ness (looking for nessy on the way :roll:) and from here went to Malliag for the day then next day traveled to Oban for 1 night and then came home Via Glasgow to the midlands on a friday afternoon (not a good idea!!!). :(

I never did Aberdeen it's on my future route card!!!!

Just hope you have good weather for the views.

cheers

scotsman

Established Member
Wick has a spoons as well, the Inverness one is pretty good - Ian the shift manager is a top guy!

Lee_Again

Hi Tubeboy

I did a similar trip in February. You may have ready my trip report.

The 158s do have declassified 1st Class (not between Inverness and Aberdeen). I used these on the Kyle and Wick services. There's no real difference to standard class with the exception of power points. This was very handy.

The trains won't be too busy unless you are arriving in to, or departing from, Inverness during the peak. The main bridge to the North is being 'fixed' and many locals are being encouraged to take the train. The section between Dingwall and Inverness can get very busy. Beware.

On my trip north I got off at Thurso and took a taxi to Dunnet Head and John o'Groats before catching the same service home. I had a 90 minute window to do this and had 15 spare once completed. The taxi cost £60 but this was cheaper than staying in a hotel and save 1/2 day. I think it's worth considering.

Please do let us all know how you got on. The line to Kyle is fantasic and the Wick/Thurso line much better than many would have you believe. I loved them both.

Good luck,

Lee

Tubeboy

Appreciate all the replies chaps. Lee, will read your post!

As to day 4, I think instead of visiting preserved lines I will bus it to Fort William and do the line to Mallaig. If I get the 0845 bus, I could then do Fort William-Crianlarich-Mallaig-Fort William. Bus gets me back to Inverness just after 2200. Chieftain next morning at 0755 takes me back to London. Very full days ahead!

Lee_Again

Appreciate all the replies chaps. Lee, will read your post!

As to day 4, I think instead of visiting preserved lines I will bus it to Fort William and do the line to Mallaig. If I get the 0845 bus, I could then do Fort William-Crianlarich-Mallaig-Fort William. Bus gets me back to Inverness just after 2200. Chieftain next morning at 0755 takes me back to London. Very full days ahead!

Why not consider getting the train to Kyle, bus to Armadale (on Skye), ferry to Mallaig and finally train to For William. Quite easy to do in one day especially on the summer timetable. My trip report has a link to the bus timetable. It's all very easy to do and could save you a day to do your preserved lines. Worth a thought!!

Liam

Established Member
but please don't stay in Fort William or Inverness - you will be left disappointed with your highland experience.

Can't agree with that. Inverness is a great wee city, haven't stayed in Fort William but it's a nice town. The A82 along the waterfront spoils it a bit.

What I have done a couple of times is take the train up to Inverness, usually the 0840 from Edinburgh, have an hour or so in Inverness, train to Kyle, theres about a half hour wait in Kyle (enough time to get a carry out from the shop :lol: ) then get the CityLink bus to the Fort for the sleeper.

LE Greys

Established Member
How long will you be stopping off in Aberdeen? I know a few places around there where you can get a decent lunch. If you have enough time, go on to Stonehaven, walk to the harbour and have lunch in The Ship. If only an hour or so, head up to Provost Skeane's House in Aberdeen itself (near Marischal College) which is a museum and has a decent tea room.

Status
Not open for further replies.