• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Exploring the Home Counties north of London

PTR 444

Established Member
I have a week off work in the middle of February, which by lucky coincidence will also be during the period of the upcoming rail sale. As I need to be in North London the following weekend, I was thinking of taking a short solo break somewhere within the Home Counties, like Milton Keynes or Cambridge.

Cambridge has far more tourist appeal and is somewhere I have never been but always wanted to visit. There is plenty to see and do but somewhere that picturesque might be better off visiting in the warmer summer months. As for MK, it's not somewhere you'd expect to find interesting, but I am fascinated by the history of new towns so it would be worthwhile to visit for that. Also Bletchley Park is nearby and it has an IKEA which is always handy for meals. Perhaps MK would make a good base for taking day trips to other places of interest within the Home Counties by rail and bus.

Can anyone suggest any other places of interest in the area, or towns/cities that would make a good 'base' for onward rail day trips?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Can anyone suggest any other places of interest in the area, or towns/cities that would make a good 'base' for onward rail day trips?
How about Colchester? As well as the town/city itself, it would be a useful base for rail day trips to Clacton / Walton-on-the-Naze, to Sudbury and to Harwich Town.

Magdalia

Established Member
I was thinking of taking a short solo break somewhere within the Home Counties, like Milton Keynes or Cambridge.
Pedantry corner Cambridge is not in the Home Counties, it is in East Anglia.

Cambridge has far more tourist appeal and is somewhere I have never been but always wanted to visit. There is plenty to see and do but somewhere that picturesque might be better off visiting in the warmer summer months.
Cambridge in the summer months is worth avoiding as it is full of tourists.

One of the best times to visit Cambridge for the traditional tourist stuff is the spring, when there are daffodils on "The Backs", and it is hopefully warm enough for punting. But mid February is a bit early for either of those.

I am fascinated by the history of new towns

Then you should consider Letchworth and Welwyn Garden Cities, with Stevenage also between the two of them.

And you can't get much newer than Cambourne, perhaps you could be its first tourist?

Djgr

Established Member
Pedantry corner Cambridge is not in the Home Counties, it is in East Anglia.

Cambridge in the summer months is worth avoiding as it is full of tourists.

One of the best times to visit Cambridge for the traditional tourist stuff is the spring, when there are daffodils on "The Backs", and it is hopefully warm enough for punting. But mid February is a bit early for either of those.

Then you should consider Letchworth and Welwyn Garden Cities, with Stevenage also between the two of them.

And you can't get much newer than Cambourne, perhaps you could be its first tourist?
Yes I think Cambridge residents would be horrified to be dumped in with the dormitory towns.

I would concur that Cambridge and a Bletchley Park visit are your best options. I did find my visit to Cambourne incredibly depressing though.

Established Member
Although a bit East, if new towns are your thing, I’ll throw in Woodham Ferrers. Other attractions on the Wickford-Southminster branch are:
Battlesbridge - Antiques centre.
Burnham-on-Crouch - River views, unfortunately I think Mangapps railway museum will be closed though.
Southminster - Wibblers brewery, and The Station Arms.

Southend isn’t so far away for a trip out, Leigh-on-Sea is a pleasant place and a nice walk next to the c2c line from Chalkwell.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
watch out for engineering works if heading to Cambridge - ECML closed Sat 17/2 to Tues 20/2 inclusive between Peterborough/ Royston and Potters Bar / Hertford.

St Albans is worth a visit - the Abbey, the Roman ruins, the market (Wednesdays, Saturdays and some Sundays), the home of CAMRA (as a result the pubs are generally excellent), the de Havilland Museum, etc.