• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Extension of the Bodmin & Wenford Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonno2055

The bodmin and wenford railway is in cornwall, its site www.bodminandwenfordrailway.co.uk hosts some very promosing news about the extension of this unusual and in some cases forgotten part of the great western railway.

The line so far calls at Bodmin parkway on the mainline itself, bodmin general an unusual single tracked terminus and boscarne junction, the other terminus for the line, it is called boscarne junction for the very obvious reason that it was originally a junction between a series of line spanning throughout the camel valley and cornwall.

The original line started at bodmin parkway, then bodmin road, it then continued to bodmin and finally to Boscarne, one line stretched out to a station called Wenford bridge hence the name bodmin and wenford, the station close to Boscarne was called dunmere where another branch to the SR station at bodmin was, note that the other bodmin station is GWR.

Back at Boscarne another line stretched out to Padstow, a little way down the line from boscarne was a junction, no station, which went to ruthern bridge. Continuing back up the line to padstow there was another junction without a station which was the LSWR and that went to launceston, exeter, sailsbury and london waterloo.

Back on the line to padstow again, after the junction is a station called wadebridge and the line then continues to padstow.

The extension of the line will be set about in stages, stage one being extending to a small halt on the line to wadebridge close the Boscarne junction called Grogley Halt, it is easy to extend the line as their is a trail along the entire line, all the way to wadebridge so all they need is money. The halt at grogley still exists and from photographs it still seems to be in perfect condition. So far only stage one of the plan has been announce but the overall aim is to extend all the way to wadebridge. I hope that it all pulls off.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What do you think about extending this line, or anyother line for that matter?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bunnahabhain

Established Member
I swear I have a DVD here that shows that line running into Bodmin General, small two platform station, then a cab ride down the line showing loads of diesels in a siding, then a small platform in the middle of nowhere, with what looked like a 90 year old driving a little Industrial Tank.

Good look to them. :)

bunnahabhain

Established Member
It was a GWR Terminus station where the Depot for the Bodmin & Wenford line is, if that helps.

Jonno2055

I cant wait to go their. I'll get half an hour at the station iof i get on at bodmin parkway. I go their ina week

jdjonnay

That extension is unlikely. They think they're gonna get it, but the truth is, nobody wants them to have it - and officialy, I shouldn't either.

The camel trail is a cycle path, which runs along the old trackbed, and is a PRIME tourism attraction. Their plan is to run the railway along the camel trail, and still allow cyclists.

The trail is in cuttings a lot of the time. I'm sure you can imagine the effects of a steam train running alongside cyclists on a tight clearance cutting. It just won't work.

I worked with the council for a while last year maintaining the trail, and during my time there there were a couple of meetings where the proposal was discussed. The concensus was, and still is, that it's just too unsafe.

The camel trail brings us loads of busisness in Padstow, and if it was to close to cyclists and walkers, so would a lot of our little buisnesses, and so would the coastal buisnesses, like the one where I am currently emplyed.

A nice idea, but very unlikely. The Railway staff can't seem to see this, however, and they're still set firm that it will work.

Good luck to them, but don't hold your breath.

Jon

T

Tom

This seems to be preserved railway stuff...

Moved by TC 21:44

Jonno2055

No what they want to do is build a new cycle path beside it, they want to improve disabled access and parking to it aswell but they m ay just be able to reach the halt, so it really doesnt matter the rest of the way, i suppose they couldput on and old bus to take people in to padstow

I thought that there was a section for it in here somewhere, thanks

Well at least the extension to the north norfolk is going to plan

jdjonnay

You won't get a cycle path beside it, we hardly got the jeep through bits of it (cuttings etc), and there's buildings eitherside of it, so routing the path around the cuttings isn't really an option either.

Don't need an old bus to padstow ta, we have an hourly service from Bod Parkway & Bod General to Padstow old railway station (via wadebridge stn).

:)

Jon

Jonno2055

yeh but you know hat tourists are like, but as long as the bus links up with the train services, i hate companies that dont take into account arriving tyrains, at exter you have just 5 mins to get of the train and get on the bus to bude, and the trains are usually late anyway so you have another 2 hour wait. Ill see what its like in about a week anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.