• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eyesight standards for train guard/conductor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrWilson

Hello guys, I'm a first time poster who is looking for professional advice. I'm a Train Guard with a Northern train company and have been employed as such for about 15 years. As the years have rolled by my eyesight on my right eye has began to fail, to the extent that on the Snellen eyesight chart I can only read the very top letter with that eye. My health is generally good and with both eyes can read the very bottom of the chart which is excellent as my left eye is so strong. I have been attending the eye hospital as an outpatient but little can be done in regards to my right eye. Just getting older I'm afraid!

My predicament is that I've declared my failing eyesight (safety first always) and thus my employer has placed myself OTR. I recently read an ASLEF article that gave me hope in being able to return to duty as a Train Guard. It mentions that in assessing someone's compatability, due consideration can be given to an individuals route knowledge, experience of the hazards en-route. Whilst new employees must pass eyesight standards from the outset, my question is what about existing employees who have excellent sight using glasses and both eyes? Stupid as it may sound, are any members aware of other Safety Critical personal who have been assessed and deemed safe for duty in my position?

My RMT Union man remains upbeat and I have a medical with OH Assist soon. Thanks for reading my note, any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Elecman

Established Member
I’m not a medical, or Optometrist or HR professional but if you meet the required vision standards wearing glasses If so I can’t see you have a problem, you just have to wear your glasses when on duty and carry a spare pair with you.

MrWilson

Hi Thanks for replying Elecman. My problem is I don't meet the standard as one needs a certain degree of sight in each eye, my right eye is failing me. I can only meet the standard with both eyes fixed on the eyesight board wearing glasses. I'm wondering if any members are aware of any Safety Critical personal who due to their service and experience are given some latitude in respect of the eyesight standards?

whhistle

On Moderation
Again, don't count this as the actual answer - only your HR department will be able to answer what they accept.
For example, I am slightly colour blind but can see signals and any other colour without any problem, yet, I cannot pass a medical as the majority of TOCs use the Ishihara test, which I can't pass. It's over 100 years old and not appropriate for the railway in modern day. There is no chance of me mistaking a colour, and thus there is no risk. Interestingly, I could fly a plane but not dispatch a train - wild isn't it! Even more interestingly the LUL use another test to test colour vision.

Back to your problem, I am certain the rules are around what you can or can't see with glasses. If you need to wear them to meet the standard, that's fine. If you can't meet the standard, even with wearing them, then that's the end of the line.

Make sure you have the latest prescription for your eyes when going for a test. You'll be surprised how much your eyes rubbish after just a couple of years!

philthetube

Established Member
Assuming your depot aslef rep is approachable have a word and see what they know/can find out there may have been something said/done which could help you.

MrWilson

Cheers for the replies guys. Yes I am like you in believing my career as a train conductor is over due to my eyesight failing. I've looked at the rail safety board website which states depending on the safety critical job would indicate the standard of eyesight required. I will just have to wait and see what OH assist say and take it from there. I will let you know the outcome.

TeaTrain

Hello a bit late to this.

I have the exact problem that you did but when I went for my medical to become a guard. I have had to spend a lot of time explaining to healthcare professionals about my eye to which most either don't believe it or don't understand it.

I have a lazy eye on my right side which does not work to the same standard as my left. If I close my right eye I have pretty damn good sight. If I close my left everything is tilted on its side and blurry. Both eyes open it weirdly corrects itself quite well and can see. I have been told this is due to the left overcompensating for my right but it works.

At my medical I had to read the letters and like yourself could not read from my right eye. I explained to her my situation and read from my left eye, then both. She said to me that so long as I can look straight, understand correct colour and don't have trouble with spatial awareness that it wouldn't be a problem. I got the job and when my manager met me for the first time I could tell there was some concern; so now always carry my opticians letter and card to show. Its easier and they explain it better than I can.

My advice would be to go to your optician and explain it to them as well. My optician booked me in for an appointment in which after a long while figured out a good balance for my glasses. I have also applied for drivers positions and passed all the tests etc.

I hope it goes well for you. Really I do.

MrWilson

Hi TeaTrain, well I've been for my eyesight standards test at OH Assist and failed again. It seems that one needs to read the fourth line down on the Snelling eyesight chart with your weaker eye which for traincrew to pass, I cannot do. My optician has told me no further corrections can be achieved with my glasses. As you can imagine I'm extremely disappointed as my eyesight is strong enough to become an HGV/PCV Professional driver, its just traincrew eyesight standards are higher. Thank you for your kind wishes.

Last edited:

Overspeed110

This is dependant on your companies policies, but at the last TOC I worked at a member of traincrew in your situation would have been allowed to try and get their eyesight corrected by laser surgery , there is a very small chance of the surgery being unsuccessful, but in your situation I think you have nothing to lose.
Have you looked into possibly having this done?

Edit- I should have said I am aware of a driver who was in the same situation as you and had laser surgery on his weaker eye which let him stay on in the job.

Mindy

Ino it’s been a while Mr Wilson
What ever happened about your job.
I have a lazy eye and pretty sure I be failing my next eye test after being in my job for over 20 years
Same issue my right eye is almost perfect on far vision left is hopeless about 2 lines down

Last edited:

MrWilson

Hello again guys and thank you Mindy for checking into my post. Yes it's been a few months since my post, to catch up I've been OTR since mid-November and remain so on Conductor Salary for now. Strange things have transpired since my post and I'm hesitant to post my results here, other than to say you should check out the 2010 train drivers regulations. Basically these state that due consideration can be given to train drivers who lose vision in one eye after starting employment, because of experience and less risks associated with these drivers. We as Conductors should be asking for parity with the drivers. There is more to be said in my case but as it continues to be on-going I can't really comment more for now. Good luck mate in your own circumstances.

Mindy

Hello again guys and thank you Mindy for checking into my post. Yes it's been a few months since my post, to catch up I've been OTR since mid-November and remain so on Conductor Salary for now. Strange things have transpired since my post and I'm hesitant to post my results here, other than to say you should check out the 2010 train drivers regulations. Basically these state that due consideration can be given to train drivers who lose vision in one eye after starting employment, because of experience and less risks associated with these drivers. We as Conductors should be asking for parity with the drivers. There is more to be said in my case but as it continues to be on-going I can't really comment more for now. Good luck mate in your own circumstances.

Thank you for the update and reply

MrWilson

What do you make of the Train Driving License and Certificates Regulations 2010? They look promising in regards to train drivers who have lost vision in one eye. Any input will be welcomed. Paragraph 2 G is of interest.

Attachments

• 1531224166334512713754.jpg
    1531224166334512713754.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 33
Status
Not open for further replies.