• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Face Coverings - Advice on usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainophile

Established Member
I have just ordered on eBay some single layer cotton masks that look like they were made from handkerchiefs. I can cope with that, and it presumably passes as a "face covering" - there's nothing in the actual rules that says what type it has to be, only "preferred" styles.

(I could have made my own but don't possess cotton handkerchiefs in this throwaway tissues era, and buying some would probably be as elusive as finding suitable masks.)

Romsey

For anyone who is still worried I notice the Sunflower lanyard has been adapted for masks, no staff member or BTP will even challenge you with that and if you are worried about confrontation talking to a very small amount of passengers who are that bothered about anyone else not wearing a mask(and even then I'd say they prefer to go on social media to play to an audience than speak directly to you)it says you are exempt from wearing a mask on the card.

Link to SWR and Sunflower lanyards.
https://www.southwesternrailway.com...onvisible-disabilities-through-lanyard-scheme

PeterC

Established Member
I carry a couple of reusable masks in plastic bags and a small bottle of sanitiser. Wear a mask once, return it to bag and sanitise hands. When I return home I drop the used masks into the washing machine.

Established Member
I have just ordered on eBay some single layer cotton masks that look like they were made from handkerchiefs. I can cope with that, and it presumably passes as a "face covering" - there's nothing in the actual rules that says what type it has to be, only "preferred" styles.

(I could have made my own but don't possess cotton handkerchiefs in this throwaway tissues era, and buying some would probably be as elusive as finding suitable masks.)

Indeed. And, since there’s no evidence of any point to wearing them anyway, you might as well remain comfortable while paying lip service!

trebor79

Established Member
Indeed. And, since there’s no evidence of any point to wearing them anyway, you might as well remain comfortable while paying lip service!
Exactly what I'm going to do. My bandana arrived today. It will be draped over my nose and tied as loosely as possible, and not tucked into my collar (I can't stand anything touching my neck).

adc82140

Established Member
I will be using a face visor in Scotland next week (Scottish government website is clear that this is acceptable). The English advice is, surprise surprise, as clear as mud. I do have some standard face masks, and will use them where necessary, but I'd much prefer to wear visors.

LAX54

Established Member
I will be using a face visor in Scotland next week (Scottish government website is clear that this is acceptable). The English advice is, surprise surprise, as clear as mud. I do have some standard face masks, and will use them where necessary, but I'd much prefer to wear visors.

see, now I am not sure how effective a visor is? lots of places / air for your breath / sneeze / cough to escape from

trebor79

Established Member
see, now I am not sure how effective a visor is? lots of places / air for your breath / sneeze / cough to escape from
Ah, but you're mistaking a placebo to "make people feel more confident about returning to the high street" for a effective measure that will actually do anything.

Belperpete

Established Member
Only in England. If you head to Wales, the law (from next Monday 27th) requires it to be 3-layer.

LAX54

Established Member
Only in England. If you head to Wales, the law (from next Monday 27th) requires it to be 3-layer.
"WHO" have always suggested 3 layer, and of 3 different types of fabric as well, but seems we will be happy with any old bit of rubbish, a guy a work showed me what he is using, which is sort of tube of stretch material he uses on his bike, it covers the mandate, but is just simply useless, which he knows :) I just wonder how many member sof the public will be wearing single, unsuitable fabric type 'masks' and thinking they are making a difference ?

mmh

Established Member

I don't think there'll be much of a market for masks which don't let your breath escape.

mmh

Established Member

The law's not been published yet - as ever with these things no doubt it will appear a few hours before becoming law. It's worth mentioning though, as this is a thread about mask wearing in general, that this law is specifically about public transport, not elsewhere e.g. shops. With the caveat of "yet", of course.

Skymonster

Established Member
Precisely - on the few occasions I have had to wear a mask, I have chosen the loosest most comfortable item that complies with the regulations - which only require the nose and the mouth be covered, nothing more. That is my recommendation on usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.