• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Failed Assessment Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Mckeown

Hey guys, just posting as I had my first assessment center on Tuesday, and unfortunatley failed at the group bourdon dots test. Although we were told it would be a different test we would be sitting,the dots test was my undoing, apparently my accuracy was fine but my speed didn't meet the standard. I got about 5-6 lines down the page but I have been reading from various other people who have sat these tests that the most important thing was accuracy and not speed. Just wondering if anyone else on here has failed this test and has ended up coming back into it and what the process is for getting back to the assessment center Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

train_lover

Hey guys, just posting as I had my first assessment center on Tuesday, and unfortunatley failed at the group bourdon dots test. Although we were told it would be a different test we would be sitting,the dots test was my undoing, apparently my accuracy was fine but my speed didn't meet the standard. I got about 5-6 lines down the page but I have been reading from various other people who have sat these tests that the most important thing was accuracy and not speed. Just wondering if anyone else on here has failed this test and has ended up coming back into it and what the process is for getting back to the assessment center Thanks
Sorry to hear that Joe, but you do have another go and you know exactly what's coming this time. Whilst you are right about accuracy being the most important aspect of the Group Bourdon consistency and speed does play a part. Whilst nobody knows exactly what the pass score is you must work as quickly and accurately as possible. There is a great bit of software on this forum that will help you practice.

Joe Mckeown

Ahh, that sounds great,, where would you find this software? Also as far as having another go, I believe you have to wait 6 months but even after that I take it they won't be running assessment centres very often in Glasgow unless there is positions up for grabs or am I wrong ?

Driver2B

Hi Joe,

I'm sorry to hear that.

Speed and accuracy are both important.

You can download software here: https://www.railforums.co.uk/attachments/bourdon-zip.36183/

I recommend starting off on computer using the software, but as soon as you are comfortable with it, print off the pages and do them on paper in preparation for the test!

Actually, I think that the real test is easier than the software!

I was doing about 10 lines per page (2 mins per page, 5 consecutive pages) with usually no mistakes, occasionally one and I passed that. They don't reveal the criteria for a pass, though.

It's good that you have experience of the assessment centre and you've still got one more chance. Practice this about four or five times a day every day before for a week. Even a month or more, if you can!

The system for going back to the assessment centre is the same as it was last time: submitting applications to TOCs, getting through a sift so you have another invite to the assessment centre. Unfortunately, there's no other way.

Good luck in practising, your applications and eventually the next time that you're at the assessment centre!

Status
Not open for further replies.