• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Failed at MMI, best next step?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mail2407

Hello, after applying for a trainee train driver role with TPE and passing everything to their enchanced standard, I unfortunately failed on one topic area in the MMI. Now with 6 months to wait before I can try again, I was considering going for a train guard job just to get my foot in the door before I try again. Would this be a wise step to take? And how often do TOC actually employ new guards.

Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

red2005

Hello, after applying for a trainee train driver role with TPE and passing everything to their enchanced standard, I unfortunately failed on one topic area in the MMI. Now with 6 months to wait before I can try again, I was considering going for a train guard job just to get my foot in the door before I try again. Would this be a wise step to take? And how often do TOC actually employ new guards.

Thank you

Sorry to hear your news mate but chin up, I would say any way in is a wise step as you'd be amazed the difference going into an interview for a job like that with a few years of railway experience behind you can make. I'm not saying just being on the railway will give you any edge per say but there's a big chance you will have more than one scenario that is relevant to the questions they are asking with a few years behind you.

But if you still want to just go straight for driving mate I'd say go and get your feedback ASAP and study it in great detail and put right where you fell short. It sounds simple doesn't it but you'd be amazed how many people don't bother with the feedback and just keep going back in the hope of winging their way through it. I mean if your car failed it's MOT you wouldn't take it straight back without addressing the problem would you? absolute madness and then they wonder why they keep failing!

Started as a guard myself it is a great job and quite a few that get that job end up staying in the grade because they find it enjoyable! i certainly wouldn't have got to the driving grade without it personally. Saying that mate there is a lot of competition for grades like that also and the interviews are just as intense so you'd still need to have your interview technique top notch.

Good luck mate fingers are crossed for you.

Red

TDK

Established Member

Thank you

It is certainly a way in to a drivers job but if there is any hint that it your intention to take a guards job just to get a drivers job you will be rejected.

kelv

It is certainly a way in to a drivers job but if there is any hint that it your intention to take a guards job just to get a drivers job you will be rejected.

If you've previously applied for a drivers job with a toc that you are then going for a conductors job with then I'd imagine that you need to have that answer/ explanation ready, especially if it was quite recent as well ?

JamesTT

Well done on getting so far and chin up that you only missed it by one topic area and have got that second attempt. What was the topic area you missed the grade on?

Status
Not open for further replies.