• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Failure to save Dump file"

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
A couple of weeks back I downloaded a few routes, GEML, WCML over Shap, Kings Cross-Peterborough and Settle-Carlisle. since doing that I have tried two of the routes, WCML over Shap, and Kings Cross-Peterborough and every time it has crashed with the error:

"Failed to save dump file to 'C:\TempDump\TS2014 - v39.3a.dmp' (error 0)"

I downloaded the routes whilst I had Windows XP, but as I knew I was getting Windows & installed I left it. Now I have had it installed and I have reinstalled TS2014, I get the same error, I have cleared the cache and verified the integrity of the files. When doing the latter one file fails to verify and despite Steam telling me it will be downloaded, nothing seems to happen (I have tried this several times already.

I haven't tried any other routes since downloading these ones so I have no idea if they work yet or not.

Does anyone have any useful suggestions of what could be wrong?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Okay, thanks, I'll give that a go.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Nope, that didn't work, same error.

carriageline

Established Member
Bit confused from your post, what Windows are you running? Are you running it as an admin? If not, that could possibly stop it editing/creating files in that location

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I was running windows XP and had the problem. My Brother installed Windows 7 and I get the same problem. I'm not a techno-wiz, so I can't say if I'm running it as Admin or not, I'll have to ask my brother about that.

carriageline

Established Member
You can right click, and click "Run as administrator", and it will run as admin. But as you had it on XP, I'm going to rule that out.

Just to be sure, you have free hard drive space on the hard drive don't you? You can check by clicking on Start (windows logo in bottom left) -> computer. It should have a bar under each hard drive, and say how much is spare. If not, right click the C drive, properties, and see how much you have spare.

Sorry if that's patronising or condescending in anyway, trying to gauge someone's PC skills over the net isn't easy!

Maybe, if steam won't allow you to check integrity, uninstall and reinstall the game. It seems to be from missing files when I check other sites, or poor performance of the PC.

Or, from another forum:

Have you done a verify cache integrity on Steam ?
To do this open steam click on library then right click on TS2013 select properties and in the open that opens select the local files tab then select Verify Integrity of game cache this is a slow process and could take up too half an hour or more.

One last thing, do you know if the computer is 32 bit or 64 bit?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I'd be guessing about the 32/64 bit to be honest, but there is something in the region of 300Gb of space on the hard drive atm......

However, I think I may have solved the problem, though I don't understand it myself, but I suspect there is logic somewhere.

It seems that the graphics had moved from 'low' to 'medium' and setting it back as 'low' seems to have fixed the issue. I can only presume I have somehow changed it during the download of those new routes, but I'll be damned if I know how. I also presume that this error is the new way of saying "something bad has happened" which I used to get with WCML North until I lowered the graphics setting. Ruddy computers, bring back the Amiga 500 I say, lol.

Thanks for your time everyone (I suspect I may have been wasting it, but I do appreciate it never-the-less).

carriageline

Established Member
You haven't wasted it! I have read that lowering the graphics etc can fix the problem! Hope it has!

dalmahoyhill

I get this crash message as well and I have a fairly older computer. The big routes like WCML north takes up loads of RAM and seem prone. Running the Valencia Madrid high speed line route at 200mph the computer couldnt seem to keep up rendering the landscape quick enough, I get texture corruption then it crashes. I have found reducing the graphics greatly reduces the number of crashes. Turn off procedural generation and bloom etc. Good luck

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Well, for the GEML with the 90 add-on I get just past Colchester now before I get an "out of memory" error. Sigh........

Status
Not open for further replies.