• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Failures/problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris

Would it be of any interest if we started recording failures/problems on here?

I had a full brake application - 100% as indicated on the brake gauge (Disastros have percentages rather than Bars or lbs per sq'inch) doing 80mph approaching Liss Common level crossing.

No TPWS activity and nothing on the TMS. Neither Passcom nor Egress pulled either.

Asked by Control to inspect the unit (in my view unecessary) which I did at Haslemere. Nothing found.

Phantom Brake Application. Never happened on Pigs but occasionally did on 159's.

Any ideas?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westcoaster

Established Member
could of been loss of interlock although on a dessie they have plug doors (i think, yet im on them most days) so very unlikely, we lose interlock quiet a lot on the 321's when ever a pendo passes,

kestrel

i had a good one the other night!

Taking an ECS 332 back to the oak was routed line 1 up the E&C over the bridge and down to R2 into HexA.

as i was approaching the E&C TMS started stating 'WSPfailure' followed by 'Axle locked car 3' then 'Axle 3 permanantly locked'!! hmm that don't sound right poked head out none of the usual stuff you associate with a locked axle, so reset traction and continued up the bank, bang traction dropped out again and up come the same msg's, reset again got a bit further up and bang again it went!!

now just to add something here, on most modern traction you only get 3 attempts to reset the VCB then you find the Traction packs auto lock out and can only be reset with a laptop, so i press it a 3 rd time and sure enough both TCU's lock out, mmm i thought don't need this!! i'm just on the crest but have enough momentum to get over the bridge and the downgrade into the oak thankfully the siggie was on the ball and cleared the signal at the bottom so i just let it roll and see how far i gets!

managed to get it to the wash plant but not enough momentum to get it into the depot!, so stops it just short of the wash and calls siggie who breathed a sigh of relief that i failed there and not on the X over which controls all the lines into and out of OOC! i then call a friend with a laptop lol and we manage to get one TCU kickstarted into use an drag the unit into the depot.

The fault was wsp related, we thought at first that it was a dodgy relay playing up but after the depot spent 4 hrs repalcing everything it was found to be a dodgy cable from the WSP sender unit on the axle!

Don't need that at 00:00 whatever hr !!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
could of been loss of interlock although on a dessie they have plug doors (i think, yet im on them most days) so very unlikely, we lose interlock quiet a lot on the 321's when ever a pendo passes,

yep they are plug type doors on the dessie's, we have the same on the 332's and do occasionally get a loss of interlock when an HST passes, all depends how the door switches are set up.

Hentis

Heh Yeah I like reading the failures of units or locos, Evey now and then I get a docsent to me of stuff thats happened from around the network....very intresting reading.

Cheers

Hentis

Kris

Sounds the most likely answer. I imagine that even the slightest loss of interlock would produce a full brake application then leave you no indication.

Coxster

Established Member
A while back I was a passenger on a 450 from London and because I was sat in that section between the front doors and the cab I was able to overhear the driver and guard discussing why only 40% power could be achieved. What do you [drivers] do in this situation and how is the problem ultimately solved?

I would be interested in rail staff "reporting" failures and other problems here like you guys do on RailChat (thought Kestrel's story seemed familiar :lol:) and what followed as it's always interesting to read.

Kris

A What do you [drivers] do in this situation and how is the problem ultimately solved?

Say *loody Disastros - look at the TMS to see if it tells you anything. Phone the signalman and maybe wait until next station before phoning a friend.

They'd probably say re-boot it (size 8 :lol:)

kestrel

Say *loody Disastros - look at the TMS to see if it tells you anything. Phone the signalman and maybe wait until next station before phoning a friend.

They'd probably say re-boot it (size 8 :lol:)

Ah yeah the magical 'train shutdown' cure of all cures that one lol

T

Tom

Don't go for 50:50...
Don't ask the audience...
Phone a friend... :lol:

Kris

Just attended a Desiro Forum at Bomo with one of the chief Engineers presiding. Apparently my failure the other day flagged up as a biggie and they want to know why it's happening along with the other phantom brake applications.

Windscreen wipers came up again (don't work over 30-40mph). A colleague asked if they have this problem in the Fatherland. I said no because out there most Siemens train have nice curvy windscreens you can see out of and which have a better angle for the wipers. SWT's insistence on corridor connections means there is a tiny flat windscreen that the wipers struggle to cope with.

The familiar whining sound is going to go apparently (sounds like a 50's sci-fi sound to me 'It Came From Outer Space'. Automotive Historian will know what I mean), something to do with the traction package and electrical components being replaced. I'm told it they will then sound more like the Jubilee line trains. Can't recall what they sound like at the moment. Is it like the networkers into Charing Cross? Always liked the way they sound - it's funny.

I didn't put forward Tom's suggestion that they go to C.F.Booths for bodywork modifications :lol:

Kind of like to keep my job and still get my move back to Salisbury (141 days, 7 hours, 6 minutes, 48 sec 47, 46 seconds). :wav:

T

Tom

Yes, they will sound like Networkers if they sound like the EJL trains... (96TS).

ChrisCooper

Established Member
I wouldn't have thought they would sound like Jubilee Line trains, since they have quite out of date GTO-Thyristor traction equipment, as do the Networkers (actually, the Met-Cam built Networkers have basically the same traction equipment, hence why they sound very similar). The "gear change" sound is due to the much less precise frequency control with the older equipment. Perhaps you mean the Northern Line trains, they have IGBT traction equipment, which is standard in modern units. If they are going to fit GTO thyristors, they might as well go the whole way and fit EE507s and resistor control.

Kris

Have'ne got a clue. Just what the Fleet Engineer blokey said they'd sound like.

It'll probably take a couple of years anyway the way Siemens go on.

Kris

2 more 444's out of use today.

Don't know what happened to the 1st one but I was there when the 2nd one was detached from the Weymouth.

Once detached No 444 033 would'ne move. Red lights - no traction available.

Control said to put it in restrictive drive ( no computer - then drives like a 'proper train' ) and sent it round the depot.

Few more ...... then we'll need :snorting: :snorting: :snorting: to cover.

paul1609

Established Member
As I understand it Siemens have a train provision contract for SWT?
Presumably they are meeting that contract?

T

Tom

I don't think they will want to be proved wrong that withdrawing the pigs was a mistake...

Status
Not open for further replies.