• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FANTASY: Removal of station calls from specific TOCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berneylegs

If you could remove station calls from specific TOCs for any particular reason which would you remove?

Eg. Remove Luton and Luton Airport Parkway from EMT services to accelerate services.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clansman

Established Member
Ladybank, Markinch, Kirkcaldy, and Inverkeithing, from any service heading to and from Inverness.

I.B.M. Halt on all services from Glasgow Central to Weymess Bay except the 1635 ex Glasgow

Why that train? Because right now it is the only one that DOESN'T stop there!

Last edited:

xotGD

Established Member
TPE shouldn't be serving all-shacks between Leeds and Stalybridge. The 'E' stands for Express, doesn't it?

Iskra

Established Member
If you could remove station calls from specific TOCs for any particular reason which would you remove?

Eg. Remove Luton and Luton Airport Parkway from EMT services to accelerate services.

Both of those stops are quite useful from the North. Luton is the 2nd easiest airport to access by rail from Sheffield.

Im all for avoiding Wellingborough or Market H, but stopping at 1 of the 2 Luton stations is useful.

Iskra

Established Member
I’d remove Castleford and Woodlesford from the Sheffield-Leeds via Barnsley stopper. It elongates the journey unnecessarily due to the diversion out to Castleford and floods the train with short-distance commuters that I assume have access to other services.

Berneylegs

I’d remove Castleford and Woodlesford from the Sheffield-Leeds via Barnsley stopper. It elongates the journey unnecessarily due to the diversion out to Castleford and floods the train with short-distance commuters that I assume have access to other services.

Tickets would need to be routed Leeds then for those omitted or would you send them via Pontefract Monkhill?

Berneylegs

Both of those stops are quite useful from the North. Luton is the 2nd easiest airport to access by rail from Sheffield.

Im all for avoiding Wellingborough or Market H, but stopping at 1 of the 2 Luton stations is useful.
No other TOCs call at those two stations so would have no service.

Iskra

Established Member
No other TOCs call at those two stations so would have no service.

The slower services could still call there, and that would be less annoying for end to end passengers- the time sensitive could use the fast services and the price sensitive the slow ones.

DanTrain

• Remove Darlington from the Edinburgh to London fasts - it seems superfluous, especially given the time penalty
  • Remove Tiverton Parkway from some XC and GWR services, it seems unnecessary for everything to stop there given it is a parkway station anyway and isn’t too far from Exeter or Taunton
  • Remove Alfreton from Liverpool to Norwich, it’s not large enough to justify stopping what should be an InterCity service
  • Cut Burton on Trent from XC fast services, people can change at Brum/Derby (not Tamworth due to use as an interchange)
I’m sure people will have many valid reasons as to why this is insanity, but I’ll leave it up to you to so convince me :D.

Berneylegs

• Remove Darlington from the Edinburgh to London fasts - it seems superfluous, especially given the time penalty
  • Remove Tiverton Parkway from some XC and GWR services, it seems unnecessary for everything to stop there given it is a parkway station anyway and isn’t too far from Exeter or Taunton
  • Remove Alfreton from Liverpool to Norwich, it’s not large enough to justify stopping what should be an InterCity service
  • Cut Burton on Trent from XC fast services, people can change at Brum/Derby (not Tamworth due to use as an interchange)
I’m sure people will have many valid reasons as to why this is insanity, but I’ll leave it up to you to so convince me :D.

They should also extend Thameslink to Doncaster removing Intercity services from Retford, Newark NG, Grantham and Stevenage.

Norwich Liverpool services should call only at Peterborough, Nottingham, Manchester Piccadilly.

Berneylegs

Sorry I don’t get what you mean?

How would you get from Barnsley to Castleford or Woodlesford if trains were fast from Normanton to Leeds?

Only reasonable route you could take is either changing at Leeds or changing at Wakefield Kirkgate and Pontefract Monkhill.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Half hourly Watford-Euston shuttle (Euston, Wembley C, Harrow, Bushey, Watford bay) to operate for the full period of service (ideally do the infrastructure work to serve St Albans) and then drop calls south of Watford from other LNR services.

Berneylegs

Half hourly Watford-Euston shuttle (Euston, Wembley C, Harrow, Bushey, Watford bay) to operate for the full period of service (ideally do the infrastructure work to serve St Albans) and then drop calls south of Watford from other LNR services.

I would like to see an half hourly Marston Vale Captial Connect service:

Service 1 - Bedford - all stops to Bletchley - Watford Junction - London Euston

Service 2 - Bedford - non stop to Bletchley - Leighton Buzzard - Hemel Hempstead - Watford Junction - Wembley Central - London Euston

Speedbird96

I don’t agree with your assertation that Alfreton should be removed from Norwich - Liverpool services. Alfreton is a Parkway station and covers the wider Amber Valley region, not just Alfreton town centre itself.

Iskra

Established Member
How would you get from Barnsley to Castleford or Woodlesford if trains were fast from Normanton to Leeds?

Only reasonable route you could take is either changing at Leeds or changing at Wakefield Kirkgate and Pontefract Monkhill.

Change at Wakefield Kirkgate, or for Woodlesford possibly change at Leeds

ComUtoR

Established Member
I'd have the Rainham - Luton service call as : Rainham, Dartford, London Bridge, Blackfriars, St Pancras, Cricklewood, Luton Airport Parkway, Luton.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I would like to see an half hourly Marston Vale Captial Connect service:

Service 1 - Bedford - all stops to Bletchley - Watford Junction - London Euston

Service 2 - Bedford - non stop to Bletchley - Leighton Buzzard - Hemel Hempstead - Watford Junction - Wembley Central - London Euston

At least that'd get it wired. It's absolute lunacy to build a new railway in the 2020s (EWR) and not have it wired from day one.

Remove Tiverton Parkway from some XC and GWR services, it seems unnecessary for everything to stop there given it is a parkway station anyway and isn’t too far from Exeter or Taunton
Where to start...a quick look at RTT shows that not "everything" stops there...and it's the location next to the M5 and at the end of the North Devon Link Road which is its USP, rather than - y'know - getting stuck in queuing traffic trying to get into Exeter or Taunton...

xotGD

Established Member
Change at Wakefield Kirkgate, or for Woodlesford possibly change at Leeds
How can you change at Kirkgate when the only direct service Kirkgate - Cas is the Sheff - Leeds stopper?

Iskra

Established Member
How can you change at Kirkgate when the only direct service Kirkgate - Cas is the Sheff - Leeds stopper?

I’d run a Leeds-Cas-Wakey Kirkgate stopper (whenever the day comes that we have surplus DMU’s).

Wakefield-Cas doesn’t strike me as a busy flow anyway, so perhaps don’t even bother and have everyone change at Leeds.

DanTrain

They should also extend Thameslink to Doncaster removing Intercity services from Retford, Newark NG, Grantham and Stevenage.

Norwich Liverpool services should call only at Peterborough, Nottingham, Manchester Piccadilly.
May I kindly refer you to the last part of my answer.

I don’t agree with your assertation that Alfreton should be removed from Norwich - Liverpool services. Alfreton is a Parkway station and covers the wider Amber Valley region, not just Alfreton town centre itself.
Where to start...a quick look at RTT shows that not "everything" stops there...and it's the location next to the M5 and at the end of the North Devon Link Road which is its USP, rather than - y'know - getting stuck in queuing traffic trying to get into Exeter or Taunton...
These are both the same issue really, medium sized parkway station receiving quite a decent level of service. At Tiverton I'm mistaken anyway, there are indeed London - Penzance services that run through fast, I hadn't realised, and in fairness it has decent usage.

As for Alfreton, surely stopping in the peaks might be better, InterCity services can be caught from Nottingham or Chesterfield, and the Northern stopper allows an interchange at either end, and so it's mostly just commuters left using the service beyond Sheffield or Nottingham I imagine. Of course idealy the line would have 3tph, of which 2 stop...

Speedbird96

As for Alfreton, surely stopping in the peaks might be better, InterCity services can be caught from Nottingham or Chesterfield, and the Northern stopper allows an interchange at either end, and so it's mostly just commuters left using the service beyond Sheffield or Nottingham I imagine. Of course idealy the line would have 3tph, of which 2 stop...

Alfreton generally sees more patronage out of the three stations along the Erewash Valley; when you compare Alfreton to Ilkeston and Langley Mill which only sees an hourly service off-peak with the Norwich to Liverpool's stopping during the peak as well as the HSTs coming to and from Leeds, Alfreton is better connected across Derbyshire and parts of Nottinghamshire with comprehensive road and bus networks. Reducing the off-peak service at Alfreton maybe difficult to justify compared to Langley Mill and Ilkeston.

EMT withdrew the regular off-peak services from Langley Mill, only maintaining a peak service when Northern introduced the stopping services from Leeds to Nottingham, whilst Alfreton maintained a twice hourly service owing to its higher usage and better access from the Amber Valley and parts of Nottinghamshire.

When you combine bus and rail services from Alfreton to Chesterfield and Nottingham, it is night-and-day! Alfreton to Chesterfield, bus and rail services is comparable in journey times, but rail services is superior from Alfreton to Nottingham. An half-hourly bus service to Nottingham takes 1hr 20mins, compared to rail which takes under 30 minutes, with the Northern service taking roughly 5-6 minutes longer than the fasts by EMT. Reducing the amount of services makes it less attractive for passengers to use.

Of course, this could all change when Norwich to Liverpool's is split by 2021 under the East Midlands ITT.

Status
Not open for further replies.