• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fantasy: you can modify any train design or livery in any way you would like.

Which part of a train would you like to change most?

• Livery

• Engine/Transmission

• Vehicles (Length, Design)

• Interior Layout (Seating, Toilets, Buffet/Shop)

• Formation/Multiple Working Ability

• Coupling Mechanism

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anonymous10

Established Member
That sounds good in principle, but I would rather something other than an IET.
I think it would be easier to obtain a new inter city long distance service (3 car version) if an IET was ordered . I would also like to see proper intercity trains used is end doored

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatvoyager

Established Member
I would lengthening all high speed electric trains to 12 car and have them more streamlined for faster speed and add dual voltage capability with a red and purple livery to represent the speed, power and luxury of the trains
I’d like to see that, particularly dual voltage capability.

3/4 pairs of pocket doors on commuter MUs around major cities to assist with dwell times would be my suggestion. But I like commuter MUs for some reason...

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
One thing I would do is replace the unacceptable uncomfortable seats on the Thameslink 700s with the same ones that the early Southern 377s (377/1 up to 377/4) use and add tables and USB ports.

It would be effective, but also mean more people might have to stand.

Very true. Personally I don't mind standing over short distances (mind you, I used to commute from Saitama to Tokyo and stood all the way which was fine at 6am but at the end of the day was awful) but I do appreciate that if one was commuting to say Peterborough or Northampton, standing all the way would be awful!

On an aside, I am also in favour of double deck trains but I am well aware that the tightness of the British network makes them fairly unworkable. I do wonder whether there is any solution.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Very true. Personally I don't mind standing over short distances (mind you, I used to commute from Saitama to Tokyo and stood all the way which was fine at 6am but at the end of the day was awful) but I do appreciate that if one was commuting to say Peterborough or Northampton, standing all the way would be awful!

On an aside, I am also in favour of double deck trains but I am well aware that the tightness of the British network makes them fairly unworkable. I do wonder whether there is any solution.

Same for me regarding the double deckers. They are badly needed, but as you rightly said, the only factor that's preventing them from being introduced to the british network is the loading gauge.

greatvoyager

Established Member

I think double decker trains could’ve been great, just a shame that the loading gauge is so restrictive.

Domh245

Established Member
Prompted by the discussion in this thread around what could have been if the 458s didn't have such a traumatic entry into service, I've created some monstrosities

Firstly, a "straightforward" conversion - a 'what if electric 175'
1608833067936.png

The other design considers if the original 458 foldaway gangways had been a resounding success and had been carried forward into the long distance EMU
1608833562041.png

greatvoyager

Established Member
Prompted by the discussion in this thread around what could have been if the 458s didn't have such a traumatic entry into service, I've created some monstrosities

Firstly, a "straightforward" conversion - a 'what if electric 175'
View attachment 87612

The other design considers if the original 458 foldaway gangways had been a resounding success and had been carried forward into the long distance EMU
View attachment 87616
I quite like the electric 175.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Me too, the electric 175 looks nice!

I'd convert the TPE 185s in EMUs and reclassify them as 360/3s. Also, I'd replace the current 360 clusters with the 185 ones as I believe the 185 clusters look much nicer and modern than the ones currently on the class 360.

Also, I'm working on a photoshop that involves a Class 331 and 397 with Chiltern Railways. What if Chiltern Railways was ever electrified?

I would just double the length of all Voyagers and stick a pantograph on them to make them bi modes. Obviously not that simple in real life but never mind.

I would also carry out refurbishments of the interior and try to have as many seats align with windows as possible.

This is what I'd do:

Add a pantograph carriage using a German type pantograph, and use the Class 345 traction motors. As a result, the Voyagers will sound exactly like an Aventra. I would also make the Voyagers 250 km/h capable (155 mph, same top speed as an APT). As a result, the Class 220s and 221s would be renumbered Class 820s and 821s.

I'd also increase the legroom to make them much less cramped.

But, in real life, it looks like it would be cheaper to buy more Hitachi Class 800s than to convert 220s/221s into bi modes.

Do you like my idea of Aventra traction motors in a Voyager?

Last edited:

Anonymous10

Established Member

greatvoyager

Established Member
Me too, the electric 175 looks nice!

I'd convert the TPE 185s in EMUs and reclassify them as 360/3s. Also, I'd replace the current 360 clusters with the 185 ones as I believe the 185 clusters look much nicer and modern than the ones currently on the class 360.

Also, I'm working on a photoshop that involves a Class 331 and 397 with Chiltern Railways. What if Chiltern Railways was ever electrified?

This is what I'd do:

Add a pantograph carriage using a German type pantograph, and use the Class 345 traction motors. As a result, the Voyagers will sound exactly like an Aventra. I would also make the Voyagers 250 km/h capable (155 mph, same top speed as an APT). As a result, the Class 220s and 221s would be renumbered Class 820s and 821s.

But, in real life, it looks like it would be cheaper to buy more Hitachi Class 800s than to convert 220s/221s into bi modes.

Sounds interesting, as you say, probably be cheaper and easier to order new bi-mode units.

Energy

Established Member
This is what I'd do:

You would need to have all the OHLE propulsion one car due to the voyagers not being able to share motor power between cars, which is why the bimode voyager idea never really took of. 155mph is also pointless as you can't use it anywhere (maybe 140mph on the ECML sections when digital signalling is finished) but this is a fantasy thread.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
You would need to have all the OHLE propulsion one car due to the voyagers not being able to share motor power between cars, which is why the bimode voyager idea never really took of. 155mph is also pointless as you can't use it anywhere (maybe 140mph on the ECML sections when digital signalling is finished) but this is a fantasy thread.
Actually you can use 155 mph on HS1 and HS2... but 140 mph will do. 155 was just fantasy

py_megapixel

Established Member
Actually you can use 155 mph on HS1 and HS2... but 140 mph will do. 155 was just fantasy
I don't think running Voyagers on the high speed lines is likely to be a thing anyway. They don't really go far enough south-east for HS1 to be any use, or far enough into London for HS2 phase 1. HS2 phase 2 might be doable, but I think it's far from certain that it'll be built at all, especially the branch to Leeds, and in any case by the time it opens the Voyagers will be nearly ready to be retired for good.

BogiePicker

A modular 21st century adaptation of the 159 which can be either diesel or electric. 110mph capable like 350.

As well as the 21st century version of APT. Seen videos of interior, much airier and spacious than 390. With whatever gubbins needed for it to hit 155 mph on WCML. (Edit, just seen post, great minds think alike clearly)

Articulated bogie carriages with regen braking. Maybe supercapacitors.

The king of all diesel locos to haul them. The child of the 43 and the 68.

Not too much to ask for.

Livery-wise, I'd have regional variations of a national(ised) theme. Azuma glossy white with red and blue stripes lengthwise for main intercity. If we reintroduce Varsity Line could have Oxford and Cambridge blues. Etc.

Last edited:

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Another thing: an electrically powered 43 HST. Would be cool to see an electric Intercity 125 lol

py_megapixel

Established Member
Indeed. To me it looks very cramped and narrow. Bigger windows than a 390, to be fair, but otherwise nothing special.
Crewe heritage centre have a preserved example (though I think it may be a prototype unit) with some of the carriages accessible to visitors... the airline style seats are VERY close together; my legs will barely fit in them. They also seem quite a bit narrower than Pendo seats.

py_megapixel

Established Member
It is one of the three prototypes, as APT never went into production.
Good point!

"Prototype" was the wrong word to use there. What I meant was that I was unsure if it had ever actually done a trip on the WCML with passengers on board. I'm not really hugely familiar with the history of the APT's development (as I'm sure you have surmised!)

Irascible

Established Member
A modular 21st century adaptation of the 159 which can be either diesel or electric. 110mph capable like 350.

Yes. I keep intending to start a speculation thread about a new regional express unit ( ReX is probably *not* a great acronym! ), but given they've got 10 years more life in them there's no hurry. DEMU, end doors for more seats ( but I'd think a centre door variant would be handy too, 444/450 style ), modular raft based power, any combo of diesel/battery and electric if you want - hopefully we'll have worked some bugs out of power rafts in 10 years. Hopefully we'll have worked out how to keep units light, too! axle loads are creeping up. Diesel + battery would mean lower emissions even when it's nowhere near outside electric, because the engines can be smaller & run at their best speed all the time.

What I'd change now would be seating and/or interior for pretty much anything except 159s. I'm not too bothered what the outside looks like.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.