• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

fare evaders

Status
Not open for further replies.

oversteer

I had a TFL RPI come on to the bus this morning (not a bendy bus) and check everyone's tickets. He had caught out at least one by the time I got off.

Yeah saw one the other day on a double decker. You'd never spot them amongst passengers IMO, no uniforms here.

Someone was quite lucky to escape a PF because he did not have his photocard (to go with a NR paper season travelcard, it seemed)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chrisg

I saw some plain clothes guys lingering by the barriers at Morden station this morning, flipping out their IDs at people who were (from what I could tell), using NR travelcard season tickets. I remember when I used to have an annual zones 1-6 Worthin travelcard getting stopped at Leyton and being asked for my photocard - the guy seemed very disheartened that my ticket was indeed mine! :lol:

mappman1000

You can only have a Child Oyster card if you apply through the TfL website or Post Office, and in both cases ID is required to be presented. I therefore doubt that the number of Child Oyster cards being used by adults is that high.

Someone could easily use a member of their family's one!

Prodigy

Fare dodging is done in all sorts of ways nowadays. The other day two scroats on my train tried to trick the guard by purchasing a single ticket between the two of them and standing at the furthest end of the train where the drivers cab is and the other right by the inspectors cab. When the train stopped at Stalybridge the guy nearest to the inspector cab got off the train (he had the ticket) and rushed to give it to the other guy who was stood near the drivers cab thinking that the conductor hadn't done the full length of the train yet. However the inspector wasn't to be fooled and good on him he caught them and stood his ground and kicked them off.

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
The one thing that p**ses me off is, if someone is honest with me and asks "look mate i'm skint is there a chance? etc etc" I would let them on, its all this bulls**t that they come out with, honesty scores points, bulls**t is an own goal for them, dozy gits.

Tracky

I am adding this to an old thread rather than starting a new.

As many traincrew are aware,

In order for a Ticketless Travel offence to have been committed a person must on request of an agent of the Railway (Guard/Conductor, Revenue Officer, BTP Constable/ Home Office Constable) refuse to:

1. Produce a valid ticket

2. Provide Payment for a valid ticket.

3. Or on request of an agent provide their name and address.

ALOT of guards fail to ask a person with no ticket or money for their name or address and instead just call BTP out when they have no ticket or no money, technically an offence hasnt been committed if they have not been asked to provide their address.

I watched one of these events unfold yesterday. Guard called BTP and a BTP officer turned up to find no address had been requested. On request, suprise suprise, the scrotes gave their address...

The thing was, the BTP officer was almost apologetic to the scrotes for coming over, actually saying infront of them that the guard should not have called him out.

In my opinion, even if no criminal act as taken place a uniformed officer should still advise the scrote that their action was wrong as what he did was almost condoning their dodge. On our routes there is simply not enough time to do anything with their name and address even if you are able to take it and so the back up would be nice.

I'd be interested to hear other views on the 3 fails and the BTP reaction to them.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
BTP can help themselves, and staff, by at least appearing to be tough; even if they need to bluff a little.

To seemingly side with the scrote just undermines everyone, and helps said scrote continue to believe that they're above the law. And of course, we all know how that worked out in August when society decided to just do what it wanted.

I am not just talking about the BTP here, but authority in general.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I hope Tracky didn't cut and paste his quote above from an official document, because the way it reads you commit an offence by producing a valid ticket... :roll:

Hopefully it has a few typos, otherwise someone has cocked up big time...

Status
Not open for further replies.