• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fare significantly different on website compared to same website's app?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gezulo

My first post here - looking for some expertise!

The website/app in question is TheTrainLine.com. It's for travel from Leicester to London with one change. On the app, there was a journey that cost around £30 for two people. However, the same journey on the train line website was just over £80?

Obviously went for the cheaper option, but this is kind of bugging me.

1) Is there any kind of catch that I'm missing here, or is this all completely fine and there's nothing to worry about? I'm aware of the possible pitfall that comes with the change, e.g. if the first train is delayed it messes you up, etc

2) How is this possible? Some kind of glitch, or is there an explanation?

Extra info - the first train is an off-peak for any train, and the second train is for a particular time. Trains are different companies

Thank you in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

You have answered it yourself. A flexible off-peak ticket allows travel at a time of your choosing (within some restrictions), whereas the second ticket you mention is an advance ticket. An advance ticket restricts you to a single train, with no flexibility or refunds. Hence, the price differential. Moreover, you mention they’re for different companies, so even without the off-peak/advance distinction, there can be price differentials for operator specific tickets.

sheff1

Established Member
How is this possible? Some kind of glitch, or is there an explanation?
It would seem that you are one of the Trainline customers who has been randomly selected to take part in their 'SplitSave' trial which, as the name suggests, is offering split tickets but on the App only. Split ticketes are not being offered on the website, hence the difference in price.

In other news apples and oranges not the same price. ;)
Not sure what apples and oranges being different prices have got do to with anything. Trainline have decided to offer different prices for the same journey on different platforms. A valid comparison would be for apples to cost xx pence at a High St Waitrose but xx + 50% pence at a motorway services Waitrose*

* other brands are avialable

Wallsendmag

Established Member
It would seem that you are one of the Trainline customers who has been randomly selected to take part in their 'SplitSave' trial which, as the name suggests, is offering split tickets but on the App only. Split ticketes are not being offered on the website, hence the difference in price.

Not sure what apples and oranges being different prices have got do to with anything. Trainline have decided to offer different prices for the same journey on different platforms. A valid comparison would be for apples to cost xx pence at a High St Waitrose but xx + 50% pence at a motorway services Waitrose*

* other brands are avialable
Did you miss "Extra info - the first train is an off-peak for any train, and the second train is for a particular time. Trains are different companies" ?

sheff1

Established Member
Did you miss "Extra info - the first train is an off-peak for any train, and the second train is for a particular time. Trains are different companies" ?

No. The OP said they were changing en route. My interpretation of the bit you quote is that the split ticketing offered by the app was a walk up for the first train (i.e. to the changing point) and an Advance for the second leg. The website would, naturally, quote for a through ticket.

If the OP could state exactly what trains they were using and what ticket(s) were offered that would be helpful in confirming, or otherwise, my interpretation.

Status
Not open for further replies.