• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fares from Worcestershire Parkway

Status
Not open for further replies.

PartyOperator

It's nuts that tickets to Birmingham are so cheap. An anytime return from Ashchurch (or Cheltenham) is £44.50, which is its own kind of ludicrous but at least helps suppress demand to comfortable-ish levels. From Worcestershire Parkway it's £11.90.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Envoy

Established Member
I note that this split ticket >https://www.traintickets.com website is still ‘not aware’ that Worcestershire Parkway exists.

However, this site does have it loaded and anyone using this station would be well advised to check for split fares - even if just passing through on a stopper.https://new.trainsplit.com

GoneSouth

Had a particularly fun ride on a two-car 170 out of New Street this afternoon. They're usually busy, but this was terrible. Several people commented that it was worse than usual. Lots got out at Worcestershire Parkway. Perhaps they'll be put off by the experience, but the usual Worcester trains aren't much better so maybe not.

It's nuts that tickets to Birmingham are so cheap. An anytime return from Ashchurch (or Cheltenham) is £44.50, which is its own kind of ludicrous but at least helps suppress demand to comfortable-ish levels. From Worcestershire Parkway it's £11.90.
I’d say the fare from Worcestershire Parkway are fair and it’s the Cheltenham to Birmingham fare that’s nuts. Does splitting tickets at WOP help Cheltenham folk?

I’m really pissed that I have no alternative to XC for a lot of my journeys, I see GWR, LMER and virgin/Avanti offer some great fares, never on XC.

Glad to hear the new station is busy though and hope they can sort out a better bus service in time.

VT 390

Established Member
I’d say the fare from Worcestershire Parkway are fair and it’s the Cheltenham to Birmingham fare that’s nuts. Does splitting tickets at WOP help Cheltenham folk?

I’m really pissed that I have no alternative to XC for a lot of my journeys, I see GWR, LMER and virgin/Avanti offer some great fares, never on XC.

Glad to hear the new station is busy though and hope they can sort out a better bus service in time.
I think splitting at Worcestershire Parkway does make some journeys cheaper however you are limited to using the 1 Nottingham to Cardiff train each hour on most tickets.

GoneSouth

I think splitting at Worcestershire Parkway does make some journeys cheaper however you are limited to using the 1 Nottingham to Cardiff train each hour on most tickets.
More useful for Gloucester, Lydney, Chepstow etc travellers then I imagine

R G NOW.

I note that this split ticket >https://www.traintickets.com website is still ‘not aware’ that Worcestershire Parkway exists.

However, this site does have it loaded and anyone using this station would be well advised to check for split fares - even if just passing through on a stopper.https://new.trainsplit.com
Looks like to me you have to select Worcester stations then where you are going to. It will then find the tickets.

geoffk

Established Member
XC also sets fares on routes on which they do not operate, e.g. Ashchurch to Worcester (served only by GWR), where the Off Peak Day Return is £9.40*. This fare would previously have been set by Central Trains. Ashchurch to Bristol Temple Meads (fare set by GWR) is £9.10*. Distances are 12 and 51 miles respectively! I know fares are not related to mileage but.........(* these fares are taken from a 2016 e-mail so will be higher now but probably in the same ratio.)

VT 390

Established Member
I’d say the fare from Worcestershire Parkway are fair and it’s the Cheltenham to Birmingham fare that’s nuts.
I agree that the fare from Parkway to Birmingham is fair and good because it is no more than the main Worcester stations it will hopefully encourage more people to use the station (I originally thought the Parkway fares would be set by XC and be very expensive).

I think part of the reason why Cheltenham to Birmingham fares are set so high is that the services are usually very busy trains and some also now stop at Parkway which is why I was so surprised that the fares from Parkway would not be that high.

Envoy

Established Member
XC also sets fares on routes on which they do not operate, e.g. Ashchurch to Worcester (served only by GWR), where the Off Peak Day Return is £9.40*. This fare would previously have been set by Central Trains. Ashchurch to Bristol Temple Meads (fare set by GWR) is £9.10*. Distances are 12 and 51 miles respectively! I know fares are not related to mileage but.........(* these fares are taken from a 2016 e-mail so will be higher now but probably in the same ratio.)

Tell me about XC having the right to set fares (& get revenue) on routes they do not operate! Apparently, they set the through ticket price from Cardiff to Edinburgh even though they do not run direct trains between these two cities. In fact anyone travelling between Cardiff & Edinburgh with any sense would use The Marches route operated by Transport for Wales & either split at Crewe for onward travel with Avanti or change in Manchester for Trans Pennine Express. I have a post about this in the fares section:>https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...nspiring-to-deprive-avanti-of-revenue.201483/

GoneSouth

Probably a discussion for a different thread but it looks like most agree that XC fares are certainly not fair! I will definitely try a split at Parkway in the future to redistribute some of the revenue away from XC.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP

As well as direct trains from Brum to Bristol, TrainSplit will offer journeys that change at Cheltenham to get the split at Worcestershire Parkway and make that saving.

Status
Not open for further replies.