Fares parser?

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Doctor Fegg, 22 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doctor Fegg

Doctor Fegg Member

What open-source parsers exist that can take the ATOC fare database and munge it into a more-or-less queryable form?

Ideally something that can be installed on a *nix box, rather than Windows. I've seen Matthew Somerville's code at https://github.com/dracos/split-ticket but wonder if there are others.

2. Llanigraham

Llanigraham Established Member

3. Doctor Fegg

Doctor Fegg Member

Not yn Gymraeg then?

It's one of those questions where "if you know the answer, you understand the question", but if you insist... :)

I am looking for some computer code, with liberal copyright restrictions, that can take the fares data published by the Association of Train Operating Companies, and adapt it into a format where you can ask it to "tell me the fares from London to Birmingham". This computer code should run on a computer based on the Unix family of operating systems, principally Linux and Mac.

4. RJ

RJ Established Member

I don't know, but I get on well with it being imported into a SQL database. "soil" provided the means to do this a couple of years ago, for which I am ever grateful. Unfortunately, it's no longer as simple as importing new fare datasets in - I had to make some amendments in order to get it working for more recent fare rounds.

Last edited: 22 Apr 2015
  5. Doctor Fegg

Doctor Fegg Member

That looks great - but Windows-only, sadly. Worth knowing though, thanks!

6. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I'm not sure if we'll run any more or not, but if we do, would you (or anyone else) be interested in our software development & open data fares workshops?

By the way have you seen http://www.farehistory.info/ ?

7. Doctor Fegg

Doctor Fegg Member

Could be - my weekends tend to be fairly booked up but do let me know if/when another one is organised.

Oooh, no, I hadn't. That's very neat.

I've been experimenting with making very basic maps out of fare data (as parsed by Matthew Somerville's train split code), for example showing points for each station colour-coded by SOR price - from light grey for cheap up to black for expensive. Quite an good way to spot peculiarities and anomalies...

8. kieron

kieron Established Member

And, sadly, the files in the archive give no hint as to what the schema actually is.

9. Doctor Fegg

Doctor Fegg Member

10. headshot119

headshot119 Established Member

A very simple (In principle, not in terms of programming), but genius idea of how to spot anomalies!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.