• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Farewell B.R 'circus horn' and Emma Hignett

londonmidland

Established Member
The old British Rail sounding 'circus horn', as well as Emma Hignett, the station announcer at London Overground stations, has pretty much disappeared from the rail network.

This comes in after London Overground have switched P.A providers from their old Amey system, to the Wordline system, which is commonly used and heard across the rail network.

Norwood Junction was the last station to use the circus horn, before it was replaced by the Wordline system a few days ago.

For anyone interested, Emma is hanging on by a thread at the last remaining stations including Harrow and Wealdstone, Crystal Palace and New Cross Gate. The switchover at these stations is due imminently.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Parallel

Established Member
Interesting - I’m surprised Emma is still at Harrow & Wealdstone when all the other stations in that area have been changed.

The circus/french horn does also play at New Cross Gate, though not for every passing service, so if anyone wants to hear it, best be quick!

It can be heard here at 1:27.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The "circus horn" was Connex's doing, not BR's. An excellent idea to have a dedicated sound to call out things that really matter e.g. a train passing through at speed, so obviously it couldn't continue.

Somewhere

Indeed, all this computerised stuff wasn't invented until after British Rail disappeared

Recessio

Indeed, all this computerised stuff wasn't invented until after British Rail disappeared
How did automated announcements work for NSE before computerisation? I'm sure in certain clips I've seen automated announcements at Southeast division stations, Dartford notably, in the "Old, Dirty and Late" documentary which was 1991.

Somewhere

How did automated announcements work for NSE before computerisation? I'm sure in certain clips I've seen automated announcements at Southeast division stations, Dartford notably, in the "Old, Dirty and Late" documentary which was 1991.
They weren't automated. Station supervisor sat in the supervisor's office pressing buttons

Jimini

Established Member
Wow thank you, I didn't realise it done that manually!

Oh yes, the dispatchers (for example) on P15 at Clapham Junction in the '90s didn't dispatch many trains as they were far too busy pressing various buttons on the announcement panel in the little booth at the bottom of the staircase!

Somewhere

Wow thank you, I didn't realise it done that manually!
The predecessors of modern CIS systems had no way of tracking trains without a human being present.
Everything used to be done manually before computers existed. Indeed, lots of stuff is still done manually now
Even at major stations now there are humans operating the CIS systems, as the computers aren't good enough at watching the trains and knowing what's going on.

stadler

This sound is technically a Connex circus horn or Daktronics circus horn rather than a BR circus horn. As has already been pointed out by Bletchleyite this was first used at Connex South Central and Connex South Eastern stations. Since then Southern used it up until 2018 and Southeastern used it up until 2012 and the stations that LO took over from Southern continue to use it until now.

The sound plays from the speakers on the Daktronics CIS boards on the platforms rather than the main speakers that the announcements come from. These boards were originally installed at all Connex South Central and Connex South Eastern stations. The original boards are all gone but Southern and Southeastern installed newer ones which these LO stations still have.

Amey and Thales are the only CIS systems that support sounds from CIS boards. This sound can not play on the Worldline system. So when Southern switched from Amey to Worldline in 2018 it dissappeared from their stations and when Southeastern switched from Thales to Worldline in 2012 it dissappeared from their stations. So these LO stations that they took over from Southern are the only remaining ones and it is about to be removed when all of their remaining stations switch to Worldline any time now.

It is worth pointing out that all of these London Overground stations played the trumpet horn (not Norwood Junction only) for platform alterations and fast trains:

Anerley
Clapham High Street
Crystal Palace
Brockley
Forest Hill
Honor Oak Park
New Cross Gate
Norwood Junction
Penge West
Sydenham
Wandsworth Road
West Croydon

So if any of these other stations are still on the Amey system then you will still be able to hear it there. But in any case these remaining stations will be switching over any time now so not long left. It is possible they have switched already.

It is sad to see the end of the circus horn. It was such a brilliant idea. It did such a great job at getting the attention of passengers. It played for all platform alterations and fast trains and these are exactly the sort of announcements where you want to get the attention of passengers. Otherwise so many people just do not bother listening to announcements. I do think this circus horn should be bought back and introduced by other CIS providers.

It is sad to see the end of Emma Hignett at stations as well. Bringing back Anne is certainly a downgrade. Anne was originally used at all the LO stations on the Goblin and NLL until 2010 and now LO are bringing her back. I have always thought Emma Hignett worked really well at LO stations. She is such a familiar sounding and well liked voice as she has been heard on the buses for years. I know the Amey system is outdated and needs to be replaced but it is a shame they could not work out an agreement with Worldline to keep using Emma Hignett instead of going back to Anne again.

Once the last London Overground station is replaced then this is also the end of the Amey system and the end of Ditra after over fourty years so really the end of an era.

Irascible

Established Member
It is sad to see the end of the circus horn. It was such a brilliant idea

Those 4 notes have been used in previous announcement sounds, I'm pretty sure - I don't know if the last note is the same as the 4 note version ( I don't really remember hearing the 4 note one ) of the BR bing chimes but the first three seem the same & quite sure I've heared them in a transport setting somewhere.

bicbasher

Established Member
The last time I used Forest Hill on Friday, Emma Hignett was still the station voice. I take it those ex Southern stations are now using Atos Anne?

stadler

Those 4 notes have been used in previous announcement sounds, I'm pretty sure - I don't know if the last note is the same as the 4 note version ( I don't really remember hearing the 4 note one ) of the BR bing chimes but the first three seem the same & quite sure I've heared them in a transport setting somewhere.
It does not sound similar to me. I have attached the original sound files of the two BR Ditra chimes. The three note chime was used for female announcements and the four note chime was used for male announcements. I am not sure if this is the one you are thinking of but personally i do not see the similarity.

The last time I used Forest Hill on Friday, Emma Hignett was still the station voice. I take it those ex Southern stations are now using Atos Anne?
Yes it probably does. If it does not have Atos Anne yet then it will any day now. The rollout has been progressing quickly recently. So it is possible that Atos Anne is already there.

Attachments

• 3Chime.mp3
    24 KB
  • 4Chime.mp3
    22.1 KB

Jimini

Established Member
It does not sound similar to me. I have attached the original sound files of the two BR Ditra chimes. The three note chime was used for female announcements and the four note chime was used for male announcements. I am not sure if this is the one you are thinking of but personally i do not see the similarity.

Yes it probably does. If it does not have Atos Anne yet then it will any day now. The rollout has been progressing quickly recently. So it is possible that Atos Anne is already there.

It's not those ones; it's a major arpeggio that is (was) used to warn of a non-stop train.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Is there a 'clean' recording of the 'circus horn' anywhere without any background noise etc? It would make a rather nice morning alarm.

kacper

Does anyone know if the stations listed in post 10 have switched over to the new system yet?

PGAT

Established Member
I think all the stations between New Cross Gate and West Croydon have switched over

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
The old British Rail sounding 'circus horn', as well as Emma Hignett, the station announcer at London Overground stations, has pretty much disappeared from the rail network.

This comes in after London Overground have switched P.A providers from their old Amey system, to the Wordline system, which is commonly used and heard across the rail network.

Norwood Junction was the last station to use the circus horn, before it was replaced by the Wordline system a few days ago.

For anyone interested, Emma is hanging on by a thread at the last remaining stations including Harrow and Wealdstone, Crystal Palace and New Cross Gate. The switchover at these stations is due imminently.

Oh wow, that noise just gave me a gut of nostalgia. Suddenly I’m 8 years old again on Balham station, the fast Dorking to Victoria train is about to race through with a single class 456 in NSE livery.

The "circus horn" was Connex's doing, not BR's. An excellent idea to have a dedicated sound to call out things that really matter e.g. a train passing through at speed, so obviously it couldn't continue.

Sounds about right!

bicbasher

Established Member
The tannoy volume is considerably lower since the switch to Worldline at Forest Hill. I'm assuming it's down to residential complaints from the recent residential builds that are opposite or next to the station.

QueensCurve

Established Member
Not quite true. I remember a crude one being introduced at Penrith in the mid 1980s. "...on board will be a service of...snax....light refreshents..."

ThePeakNed

Shame to see stuff like this dying out.

I have vivid memories of the chime at Glasgow Central, struggle finding any recordings of it though.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Not quite true. I remember a crude one being introduced at Penrith in the mid 1980s. "...on board will be a service of...snax....light refreshents..."

Many North West stations had the "posh Northern woman" autoannouncer, I remember her from Liverpool Lime St and Wigan North Western, but not Preston. She was almost RP posh but with short vowels.

This old thread has some recordings:

stadler

Many North West stations had the "posh Northern woman" autoannouncer, I remember her from Liverpool Lime St and Wigan North Western, but not Preston. She was almost RP posh but with short vowels.

This old thread has some recordings:
She was just the standard default Ditra voice. She was very posh sounding but i did not think it was not really a Northern accent. She was also used all over the Network South East area in the 1980s and 1990s and in to the very early 2000s.

She lasted until 2006 at, Lancaster, Oxenholme Lake District, Penrith North Lakes, Warrington Bank Quay, Wigan North Western, and then "Only Woman" replaced her.

She also lasted at Bishops Stortford and Seven Sisters until 2012 which were the very last stations to use her voice.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
She was just the standard default Ditra voice. She was very posh sounding but i did not think it was not really a Northern accent.

Whether she was a posh Northerner or not I'm not sure, but the North West version of the announcements (the Wigan/Lancaster ones on the linked thread) definitely use shortened vowels which feels a bit not in keeping with the poshness of the rest of it! That is, "good afternoon" rather than "good ahfternoon" and "Lancaster" rather than "Lancahster" as most Southerners would say.