• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Farnham to Reading Stations via Basingstoke a valid route?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

Looking to travel on the 14th Jan, is Farnham to Reading via Basingstoke a valid route? I would like to travel with friends from Basingstoke, the ideally getting off at Reading West, the heading back later from the Town centre.
Thanks
Richard

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
NRE seems to permit this to Reading West but not to Reading, despite the fares being the same and the ticket issued to "RDG/RDW' - I will bow out here and wait for one of our experts to arrive.

However, be aware that it's a rail replacement bus from Woking to Basingstoke on Saturday :(

WizCastro197

Established Member
Trainsplit offers these results for 14th Jan one way journey from Reading to Farnham via Basingstoke. Likewise with NRE, SWR wouldn't show any results for the return journey via Basingstoke.

However, I will echo what @30907 has mentioned, there is a rail replacement bus between Woking and Basingstoke .

Last edited:

JB_B

Established Member
In general, a route:any permitted ticket from Farnham to Reading is not valid via Basingstoke.

(That's because it's not direct, not a mapped route, not within 3 miles of the shortest route and there's no relevant easement.)

However, on 14th Jan, retailers such as trainsplit.com should sell you route:any permitted tickets such as the £10 Farnham-Reading Evening Out return (after midday) with an itinerary via Basingstoke and Reading West. That's because the leg to Basingstoke is bustituted as noted above - the bus mileage is excluded so the rail mileage is less than the shortest route wholly by rail (+3 miles). You can start at Basingstoke and have the option of returning to Farnham on the faster route via Ash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.