• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

favorite 00 model maker Hornby, Bachmann or other

Whats your Favorite 00 gauge model manufacturer?

• Hornby

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Bachmann

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I prefer bachmann because they are more reliable, in 2004/5 (shortly after getting a bachmann class 25 and a honby steam loco) I packed up my model railway stuff until mid 2008 when I felt like "playing with my train set" the hornby locos didn't work but the bachmann ones ran like a dream the only problem I have had with a bachmann train is the virgin super voyager which I think has a fracture in the driveshaft

Swift-Deere

My Hornby King class Train wouldn't work at first when i tried using it again after about a year or two but i kept pushing it and eventually it ran:D

Established Member
when I felt like "playing with my train set" the hornby locos didn't work but the bachmann ones ran like a dream

Did you do things like lubricate the moving parts, clean connectors, etc. before using them again?

Oh, and there's Lima as well, their stuff is good (And before anyone gets pedantic, I'm awarethat Lima are part of Hornby).

Daimler

Established Member
For me, Hornby. Although our model railway is currently in bits in the loft :(, it used to be splendid, and we still buy locos in anticipation of getting it back up and running.

In the past, I preferred Bachmann, as their loco-drive motors were far superior in terms of smoothness to the ringfields in the Hornby locos' tenders. However, since Hornby moved to a 5-pole motor, they've matched Bachmann here, and the attention to detail on the new Hornby steam locos is beyond belief.

We're currently going through a Southern Maunsell period, and have bought the fantastic olive green 'T9' and 'M7', not to mention the gorgeous Maunsell coaches and olive green 'CCT'.

I have a soft spot for Hornby's Bulleids, too (and really must get one of their new 'Schools' class models - preferably Blundells - olive green without smoke deflectors. Exquisite!).

Swift-Deere

Am a fan of hornby's bullied's too, ive got one of the west country's and its Awesome, it runs well and looks great at the head of a rake of Pullmans!!!

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
I going to go with Bachman.

I like hornby very much, but to me Bachman has much more quality to it or maybe thats just me.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I going to go with Bachman.

I like hornby very much, but to me Bachman has much more quality to it or maybe thats just me.

Just to correct my self before I get complaints in the first half of my sentance I ment "I am going with hornby" sorry for this school-boy error.
Regards

fgwrich

Established Member
For me its Bachmann...Hornby's models are getting better in recent years...and so has Bachmanns...

But im also going in terms of model demands and custemer services attitudes...

Bachmann seem to go more by principal of If you ask them if there going to make a certain model, then more than likely youll be not the first person to ask the same thing and realising that its popular, it could get considerd for production...

Hornby on the other hand go by well your the xx person to ask the same question today but were not going to make it...

Take the Irish market for example..Bachmann, after producing endless amounts of batches of 141/181 Class's, RPSI Mk2's and the cravens coaches for Murphy Models, have realised that there is such thing as a Irish Market...

Hornby on the other hand... STILL Insist that there isnt<(but dont worry...there is a market for the javelin...

Ok theres a Wishlist on there / product Suggestions questionare bit...but honestly, how many times do hornby actually look at it?

Personnaly i also prefer the bachmann Scenecraft range - Its more realistic, and resonably priced...For me, Skaledale is getting too unrealistic and is even being beaten by the Thomas The Tank Engine range of buildings...Made in the same fashion as Skaledale!

Custemer service wise ive contacted bachmann several times over various reasons and got a response within days, if not mostly the same day...as for Hornby...its like being stuck in a very long post office que...

And before i get shot for my opion over Hornby...i am on the Hornby Forum btw...though even thats starting to loose its effect as being a model railway forum after Hornbys rather recent Hornby Only type attitude...:-x

As for Vi Trains - Ive only got one of there 37's but it is a very nice model...Heljan - 3x 47 & 1 western...Very nice models...

Lima - Good in there heyday...but the only tihng that still remains good today is there HST & 47...Otherwise most of the Hornby/Lima range does despiratly need modernising...Espically when you compare Dapols Class 156 with Hornbys 156 & 153...

rich

Status
Not open for further replies.