• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favourite Alcoholic Drink

Status
Not open for further replies.

fowler9

Established Member
My favourite alcoholic drink is a Cote du Rhone red wine from the west bank of the Rhone between Avignon and the Ardeche. The nice thing about my particular preference is that much of it is often astonishingly cheap and sold from industrial scale dispensers.
But more expensive wines from other countries or from elsewhere in France are frequently a dissapointment (a good Malbec excepted).

I've enjoyed a variety of real ales over the years, but few of them are consistently enjoyable. The only brandname which I've enjoyed over a significant period is Guinness.

Actually I don't normally drink wine but we have familly friends living in Torino looking over the market in the Piazza Della Republica (Apologies for spelling) and in said market they would buy bucket loads of red table wine which was brought down daily by local traders from the alps. I can't recall which grape it was or what have you but it was amazing and goes really well with the food they bought at the same market. Dinner lasted hours and was amazing. It sounds cliched but it is true. Ha ha.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fowler9

Established Member
That's my favoruite ale alongside Old Speckled Hen ;) For anyone interested it's available in bottles from Morrisons and Sainsbury's, and also some select pubs nationwide. Certainly one of the nicer ales out there. I believe it's the first of series of ales Maiden are putting out, so watch this space!

I will certainly watch this space. Ha ha. It is good stuff. Metal is not just a form of music (Or a useful construction material), it is a way of life. Ha ha.

fowler9

Established Member
I saw an Iron Maiden ale in Morrisons on Christmas eve.

Am guessing it will have been the Trooper I am drinking now. Tis good stuff. I normally prefer the heavier bands but I have a soft spot for Iron Maaiden as they seem genuinely nice guys and kind of helped get me in to the heavier guys.

Butts

Veteran Member
I like Martell Cognac , Most Malt Whisky, Pear Cider or Kronenburg 1664 Lager.

In the pub at Lunchtime today, my son had Toffee Apple Cider - yuk :lol:

fowler9

Established Member
I like Martell Cognac , Most Malt Whisky, Pear Cider or Kronenburg 1664 Lager.

In the pub at Lunchtime today, my son had Toffee Apple Cider - yuk :lol:

Ha ha, you know what mate it sounds vile but if you are in the right mood I bet it tastes amazing! I've had a few stouts over the years that were like eating a pint of chocolate mousse but at the right time it works.

class156

Ha ha, you know what mate it sounds vile but if you are in the right mood I bet it tastes amazing! I've had a few stouts over the years that were like eating a pint of chocolate mousse but at the right time it works.

I can confirm that Brother's Toffee Apple cider tastes quite nice.

As for what I like to drink my personal favorite is Morgans Spiced Rum, however I also like drinking cider and lager and occasionally vodka with a mixer of some sort.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Most fun I had was being sat a little to close to a boiling tube of ethanol somebody had left in a water bath ;)

Whistler40145

Established Member
Beer: Ruddles Best or Jennings Snecklifter.
Spirits: Bacardi & Coke, sometimes Baileys
Wine: A nice bottle of Red. Personally, I can't abide White Wine, causes acid in stomach.

All in moderation.

The days of massive consumption are over & the feeling of waking up with a mouth like the contents of a dustbin, a bad head & decidedly being like Victor Meldrew don't favour!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Some sensible people in here. ;)

Give me a good ale. Double Maxim (would that it were still made by Vaux), Black Sheep are two of the better ones suggested. I would also suggest Mordue Workie Ticket which is fantastic. There are so many good ones out there these days! however there are still to many poor ones. I love ale as this set on my Flickr should suggest: http://www.flickr.com/photos/darlo2009/sets/72157630503441726/

I had a very nice Chablis with dinner yesterday. Went down a treat. That and a good amount of champagne.

We also had a good store of Becks and Peroni which is always refreshing along with enough whiskey to sink a battleship. Favorites at present being Jura, Ardbeg and Laphroaig

HOWEVER Some of you are a crazy if you think that that muck they sell as "cider" is actually cider. Koppaberg isn't cider, That stuff you drink in a pint glass (Bulmers?magners?) with ice isn't cider. Stongbow isn't cider. It is chemically refined sweet appleish alcohol liquid.

Get out and live a little. Search out REAL cider and compare the difference! Most real ale pubs now offer a "real cider" or two. Give them a go and open up a whole new world!

I am by no means a cider fan, i think mainly because of the rubbish sold as cider, but my recent introduction to "real" cider has, if not converted me, at least changed my perception. Anyway cider rant over! :lol:

Happy christmas

Last edited:

WestCoast

Established Member
Some of my all time favourties:

Beer:

Lager: Weihenstephan Kristall wheat beer (can buy in large Asdas), Leffe Blonde
Ale: Breconshire Golden Valley

Spirits:

Bacardi and Coke (used to drink others neat but decided I'd rather not do that:lol:)

Wine:

A nice glass of Cava as a treat

SS4

Established Member
Aniseed Cordial (it is alcoholic, a liqueur perhaps?). I usually have it with some pernod in which case the sugar content is probably more dangerous than the alcohol content :lol:

Lager: No ta
Cider: Rekorderlig strawberry and lime
Spirit: Jack Daniels
Wine: No ta, too strong for me

Last edited:

Alan1310

Ale: duchars or sundew or werry
Larger: becks carling on occasion or when in crap pubs
Sprit: singleton or sailor Jerry's if in a sweet mood and gin if it's hair of the dog
Cider: pickled pig or old Rosie 1 pint of only

As you may get I love a drink I drink most days Even if it's only a pint rarely drink at home either I enjoy a pub and people that drink in pubs

flymo

Established Member
Lager : Tsingtao
Cider : Strongbow if nothing else
Spirit : Vodka, straight but it MUST be unbelievably cold, - 10C but it will not freeze
Wine : Err..... nope

Daz28

Ale : Doom Bar
Lager : Budweiser
Wine: Graham's 10 Year Old Tawny Port, or if I have just won the lottery, a 40 year old version.

Spirit: Drambuie, Bushmills or any decent single malt.

A special mention to the Lyme Bay Winery and their Christmas Mead, a delicious seasonal favourite here.

If I'm avoiding alcohol, I do like a good Root Beer, but hard to get in this country. Sarsparilla makes a good substitute, but equally hard to find.

Liam

Established Member
Vodka, straight but it MUST be unbelievably cold, - 10C but it will not freeze

Is the only way to drink it. Store it in the freezer, shake it to get rid of the crystals, pour into a shot glass and down in one.

I'm also partial to a snowball or two :lol:

Lager: Not too keen but can tolerate Peroni
Ale: Not really got a favourite. I normally have the guest ale and don't really stick to one particular one.
Cider: Westons Old Rosie Cloudy Cider. This must come with a warning though. It is 7.3% and whilst I'm able to handle my drink fairly well, I am not so good at handling this and after three pints I am under severe pressure to maintain my composure. It really puts you on your back very quickly.
Spirit: Disaranno
Wine: Don't really drink wine if I'm honest

Liam

Established Member
I have tried various real ales over time and not liked any of them. Most real ciders are very nice, but the generic tap ciders (Strongbow, Magners etc) are decent at the right time.

chorleyjeff

Don't do alcohol, hate the taste. The closest to an alcoholic drink I've got is the shandy that's served as a fizzy pop type drink. Other that, the strongest I've had would be in food like chocolates or tiramisu. Hope you've had a good Christmas BTW.

But the question was about your favourite alcoholic drink. Good job it wasn't an exam question -:))

Tracked

Established Member
Lager: No
Ale: I like darker beers, Sneck Lifter for example, and a lot of the local beers (Doncaster brewery is a recent start up, and very good too)
Cider: the drier the better, had this one called "Bowmore 2000" at a beer festival a few years ago, proper gums peel back dry
Spirit: Whisky from Islay - Laphroig, Lagavulin, Bruichladdich
Wine: Ginger wine, Morrisons do one for about £3.50, it's very good

:)

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Cider: Westons Old Rosie Cloudy Cider. This must come with a warning though. It is 7.3% and whilst I'm able to handle my drink fairly well, I am not so good at handling this and after three pints I am under severe pressure to maintain my composure. It really puts you on your back very quickly.

A friend who I consider able to hold his drink was floored by a pint and a half of Old Rosie - never tried it myself, but if it did that to him I dread to think of its effect on me.

As for my favourite drinks;

Lager: Corona (normally too expensive for me, though!)
Ale: Will try anything once!
Spirit: Gin
Wine: Red - Malbec, White - Sauvignon Blanc

I must admit, I drink more red wine than anything else. I'm also partial to a drop of Port - especially when accompanied by good cheese. I do mostly enjoy drinking with food, or one or two pints in the pub - rarely do I drink more than that as I don't enjoy the morning after at all.

I can't drink anything that contains Vodka as the taste of it makes me feel ill due to a rather wild drunken night at a friend's house a few years ago, where I drank shot after shot of it. The first thing I ever drank to excess was Blue WKD, which I tried again at a party recently, as I was just handed one, and can't understand why I liked it enough to have more than a sip :lol:

SS4

Established Member
The first thing I ever drank to excess was Blue WKD, which I tried again at a party recently, as I was just handed one, and can't understand why I liked it enough to have more than a sip :lol:

Even I, who loves sweet drinks, cannot drink blue WKD :lol:

High Dyke

Established Member
Real Ale without a doubt, especially local brews like Brewster's Decadence or Marquis; Newby Wyke or Oldershaws. I also particularly like various types of honey beer.

Wine....Urrgggghhhhh!

Spirits: White Rum; though i am getting drinking Brandy...especially when a friend can supply homemade Romanian Plum brandy.

Failing that...a decent mug of tea.

Lrd

Established Member
Even I, who loves sweet drinks, cannot drink blue WKD :lol:
I can drink them with ease, tastes like water compared to anything else, how anyone can get anywhere near drunk on them is beyond me!

chris89

Established Member
Morden Via CHX said:
Cider: Westons Old Rosie Cloudy Cider.

Love it though as is very nice.

Lager: Not the biggest fan off it.
Cider: Westerns stuff mostly, Also Cornish Rattler etc.
Wine: Red or Rose any is good.
Spirits: Not a fan, Hate like anything Rum, bad memories from 21st :P
Liqures: Schnapps, Jaegermister, Sourz etc.

Will add cocktails :P
Daquri's etc :D

Chris

jon91

I love Old Rosie but good grief that stuff is potent, I only have it after a good meal. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.